Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am waiting for delivery on my new Arona FR sport 1.5 TSI. I have searched on here for issues and didn't find much of concern. But I have found the below that VW have acknowledged an issue of jerky pull away with this unit...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

The reviewer also mentions it in the long term test....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/seat-arona/hopping-mad-with-the-arona/

The T-ROC forums/Skoda have lots of mentions of issues with this and lot's of people have handed the cars back. Just read the comments from the top article.

I'm considering cancelling my order, has anyone here had issues with the 1.5 TSI?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Don't think that many 1.5 tsi exist, there were long build delays, then the engine was suspended for a while.

The problems seem to have been from a remapping since summer 2018 which was to improve emissions following introduction of WLTP tests. Seems to have affected the T-roc and Karoq manual gearbox versions as the software was optimised for DSG box

As Seat hasn't offered a 1.5 DSG possibly runs a different version, but I don't know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Hi Easytiger
I have a 1.5 tsi and can honestly say that I have had no problems with kangarooing.! When cold especially(and during the first 1000 miles ) I had to get into second gear pretty smartish. It does seem that first gear is very low but you easily adjust and drive accordingly. The power of the car is fantastic. I really can't imagine having this wonderful car with a smaller engine. Why can't you get top of the range with this engine?
Buy with confidence...have a test drive.
Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
No issues with kangarooing for me either!

I've had my FR Sport for nearly 10 months now and my only "issue" per say with the engine is exactly what Cello9 has mentioned about 1st gear being very short. This is reflected in some reviews of the 1.5 Arona too. From memory I think one reviewer said it was so short because it's the same gearbox from the 1.0 engines, and they need to rev higher than the 1.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
olliechambers1 said:
No issues with kangarooing for me either!

I've had my FR Sport for nearly 10 months now and my only "issue" per say with the engine is exactly what Cello9 has mentioned about 1st gear being very short. This is reflected in some reviews of the 1.5 Arona too. From memory I think one reviewer said it was so short because it's the same gearbox from the 1.0 engines, and they need to rev higher than the 1.5.
Hi,

has anything changed from your point of view regarding this or are you still a happy 1.5 TSI owner? :D
I see a lot more complaints on the T-Roc forum although the number of complaints seems to have dropped - either people gave up or the problem is solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
gemisht said:
Hi,

has anything changed from your point of view regarding this or are you still a happy 1.5 TSI owner? :D
I see a lot more complaints on the T-Roc forum although the number of complaints seems to have dropped - either people gave up or the problem is solved.
This is now an odd one for me...

I took my car in to sort out an issue with the handbrake and the dealer also did a software update to the car. The software update was to address the issue with the kangarooing and, to put it simply; it seems as if they've turned the engine down. By that I mean the engine doesn't seem to be producing as much power lower down the rev range as it did before taking it in (which makes sense if you were having issues with kangarooing).

So... I'm not as happy with the engine anymore, but first gear doesn't seen quite as short (although not by much) now.

I don't know if the T-Roc forum complaints were from people with auto's or not(?) but software updates don't solve gearing issues on manual cars (only changing the physical gear ratios would). It would make sense for an auto to benefit from an update though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
olliechambers1 said:
This is now an odd one for me...

I took my car in to sort out an issue with the handbrake and the dealer also did a software update to the car. The software update was to address the issue with the kangarooing and, to put it simply; it seems as if they've turned the engine down. By that I mean the engine doesn't seem to be producing as much power lower down the rev range as it did before taking it in (which makes sense if you were having issues with kangarooing).

So... I'm not as happy with the engine anymore, but first gear doesn't seen quite as short (although not by much) now.

I don't know if the T-Roc forum complaints were from people with auto's or not(?) but software updates don't solve gearing issues on manual cars (only changing the physical gear ratios would). It would make sense for an auto to benefit from an update though.
That is really strange... When was this update done? As it seems there was more than 1 update since March with the latest one couple of weeks ago which supposedly fixed the problem. Maybe they messed it up for you and could get it back to normal with the latest. Just guessing...

The gearing is not a big issue for me as it just takes time to get used to. But this kangaroo issue does not sound good.

T-Roc forum is about manual 1.5 TSI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
gemisht said:
That is really strange... When was this update done? As it seems there was more than 1 update since March with the latest one couple of weeks ago which supposedly fixed the problem. Maybe they messed it up for you and could get it back to normal with the latest. Just guessing...

The gearing is not a big issue for me as it just takes time to get used to. But this kangaroo issue does not sound good.

T-Roc forum is about manual 1.5 TSI.
The update was done on the 4th/5th October.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top