Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I have seen that WhatCar has voted SE Tech 95 as preferable model in the range but I am unsure of the car to lease. There are lots of offers on the SE Tech Lux which is very cheap per month, but I have never considered buying diesel because it's a bit louder than petrol.

If you have the above model, are you enjoying the car?

MPG is good on petrol apparently, so is it worth having diesel?

The FR petrol DSG is an extra £40p/m which would be the next option.

Thank you

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can't speak to the Lux, I have a SE Tech 95. The diesel is very quiet - you can just hear it at start up.
After that it is quite quiet - certainly a lot less noisy than my previous diesel.
Mileage is very good - I'm getting low 60's after just over 1000 miles and expect that to improve over the next few months.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got the 95 SE Tech Lux, petrol, and am getting around 49mpg on a mix of roads. Only you can determine if you will be doing sufficient mileage to make it economically worthwhile to go for the diesel option.
I think the spec on the Lux is sufficient for most purposes, but obviously that is down to individual preferences. I miss grab handles/ coat hangers in the rear, and the lack of vanity mirror lights and glovebox light, but otherwise I am content with the spec for the price I paid.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I posted this review a few months back, petrol is still smoother overall and nicer on the ears, but the decent slug of torque makes the derv only SE Lux a decent buy and still enjoy the longer drives I do in it...

I have had my Arona for six months and overall a good car. I went for an SE Lux with the 1.6 115 diesel engine. The engine has loosened up nicely as the miles have gone on and average fuel consumption is around 55-60mpg taking in urban and motorway driving. It certainly has enough pull and in gear acceleration is excellent as is low down torque with max torque from 1500-3200 which interestingly is not far off the 1.5 Evo at 1500-3500. Front end is heavier due to the diesel engine but also makes the car feel slightly more planted on the road than the petrol cars at the same time the derv does not want to change direction as quickly as the petrol equipped cars either.

Compared to my previous FL Leon 1.2TSi SE Dynamic the engine is louder and usual derv rattle. The 1.2 TSI was almost silent in operation compared to the diesel. However, the Arona is fun to drive and the torque makes it quite fun on a b road blast and gives excellent overtaking characteristics. Suspension soaks up the bumps well and even on standard suspension there is very little roll in corners making it such a fun drive. Spec wise SE Lux is great KESSY I am not fussed about other than could we have the stop start button position changed for RHD? Our previous Tiguan had it change from left to right for RHD cars. Beats audio is worthwhile, ACC makes motorway journeys a breeze and heated seats are now being used and work well. Would have liked the option of climate control but then SE Lux would be stepping into Xcellence territory..

My main issue overall with the Arona is build quality. It feels very much like a car built to a price and the interior is a step down from my Leon which was a cheaper car. I will start with the hard-scratchy door cards. Internal door handles also feel cheap and should have been upgraded for the Arona given its price point. It took me nearly an hour to wrap front and rear door handles. SEAT should have either changed them to gloss black or added a rubberised coating. FR and above have the faux leather added to dash inserts which again give a more premium feel. SE should be gloss black or faux leather not the silver from the Ibiza S and SE trim. However, I have not had one squeak or rattle out of the trim from new, so it may be hard to the touch but is rattle free at least!!

Rear door cards actually have a cheaper/thinner plastic than the front door cards after removing them to add sound dampening material. Door cards front and rear are higher quality on the Leon and the Arona should have taken some of those elements to give a more premium feel compared with a bottom of the range Ibiza. I would have liked to have seen a foam insert which would have greatly aided in reducing interior noise and improved the sound quality of the audio system.

I have Beat's audio which is really good - after adding in some sound dampening it has shown how good it truly is. Hard plastics which vibrate just muddy the sound IMO.

I still love the Arona looks and the two-tone paint; alloy wheels are just the right size for our pot holed roads and easy to clean. The star is the 8" infotainment screen with a vibrant and clear display which is of a higher quality than in the Leon and works well and reacts quickly. I would have liked a colour MFD instead of the monochrome MFD in between the dials. The digital cockpit option (across the range in Europe) does solve that issue however.

Would I buy another Arona? The answer has to be a no, Ateca and Leon yes as they feel better made and my wife having just taken delivery of a Grandland X, even Vauxhall has stepped up its interior quality in fact a previous Corsa E, I owned had a higher quality dash than the Arona. With VW on the T-Roc and SEAT on the Ibiza and Arona they have made an assumption about interior look and feel. Both look great inside and out but feel poor in places interior wise due to too much hard plastic. Harsh, but having gone around loads of cars until my wife plummeted for the Grandland X, due to availability, looks, interior and engine.

I found both VW and SEAT had slipped back with some cars in their range and the likes of Vauxhall moved forward. Too much cost cutting to hit profit and price points possibly??? The Arona should match Leon interior quality and T-Roc the Golf, not paying for a small SUV but having interior quality from a supermini paying small hatchback prices. Both only require small touches that would not cost £££ but make a real difference to quality and refinement.

My top tips are to wrap interior handles and add sound dampening to front doors as a minimum. As both simple mods really do transform the car to feel of a higher quality, better sound and refinement. If you feel the need to. Door cards don't sound so hollow to the touch, no echo from central locking unlock/lock even doors close with a more solid sounding 'thunk.'

Long post, but hopefully it may help weigh up options.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Cyberbob said:
I posted this review a few months back, petrol is still smoother overall and nicer on the ears, but the decent slug of torque makes the derv only SE Lux a decent buy and still enjoy the longer drives I do in it...

I have had my Arona for six months and overall a good car. I went for an SE Lux with the 1.6 115 diesel engine. The engine has loosened up nicely as the miles have gone on and average fuel consumption is around 55-60mpg taking in urban and motorway driving. It certainly has enough pull and in gear acceleration is excellent as is low down torque with max torque from 1500-3200 which interestingly is not far off the 1.5 Evo at 1500-3500. Front end is heavier due to the diesel engine but also makes the car feel slightly more planted on the road than the petrol cars at the same time the derv does not want to change direction as quickly as the petrol equipped cars either.

Compared to my previous FL Leon 1.2TSi SE Dynamic the engine is louder and usual derv rattle. The 1.2 TSI was almost silent in operation compared to the diesel. However, the Arona is fun to drive and the torque makes it quite fun on a b road blast and gives excellent overtaking characteristics. Suspension soaks up the bumps well and even on standard suspension there is very little roll in corners making it such a fun drive. Spec wise SE Lux is great KESSY I am not fussed about other than could we have the stop start button position changed for RHD? Our previous Tiguan had it change from left to right for RHD cars. Beats audio is worthwhile, ACC makes motorway journeys a breeze and heated seats are now being used and work well. Would have liked the option of climate control but then SE Lux would be stepping into Xcellence territory..

My main issue overall with the Arona is build quality. It feels very much like a car built to a price and the interior is a step down from my Leon which was a cheaper car. I will start with the hard-scratchy door cards. Internal door handles also feel cheap and should have been upgraded for the Arona given its price point. It took me nearly an hour to wrap front and rear door handles. SEAT should have either changed them to gloss black or added a rubberised coating. FR and above have the faux leather added to dash inserts which again give a more premium feel. SE should be gloss black or faux leather not the silver from the Ibiza S and SE trim. However, I have not had one squeak or rattle out of the trim from new, so it may be hard to the touch but is rattle free at least!!

Rear door cards actually have a cheaper/thinner plastic than the front door cards after removing them to add sound dampening material. Door cards front and rear are higher quality on the Leon and the Arona should have taken some of those elements to give a more premium feel compared with a bottom of the range Ibiza. I would have liked to have seen a foam insert which would have greatly aided in reducing interior noise and improved the sound quality of the audio system.

I have Beat's audio which is really good - after adding in some sound dampening it has shown how good it truly is. Hard plastics which vibrate just muddy the sound IMO.

I still love the Arona looks and the two-tone paint; alloy wheels are just the right size for our pot holed roads and easy to clean. The star is the 8" infotainment screen with a vibrant and clear display which is of a higher quality than in the Leon and works well and reacts quickly. I would have liked a colour MFD instead of the monochrome MFD in between the dials. The digital cockpit option (across the range in Europe) does solve that issue however.

Would I buy another Arona? The answer has to be a no, Ateca and Leon yes as they feel better made and my wife having just taken delivery of a Grandland X, even Vauxhall has stepped up its interior quality in fact a previous Corsa E, I owned had a higher quality dash than the Arona. With VW on the T-Roc and SEAT on the Ibiza and Arona they have made an assumption about interior look and feel. Both look great inside and out but feel poor in places interior wise due to too much hard plastic. Harsh, but having gone around loads of cars until my wife plummeted for the Grandland X, due to availability, looks, interior and engine.

I found both VW and SEAT had slipped back with some cars in their range and the likes of Vauxhall moved forward. Too much cost cutting to hit profit and price points possibly??? The Arona should match Leon interior quality and T-Roc the Golf, not paying for a small SUV but having interior quality from a supermini paying small hatchback prices. Both only require small touches that would not cost £££ but make a real difference to quality and refinement.

My top tips are to wrap interior handles and add sound dampening to front doors as a minimum. As both simple mods really do transform the car to feel of a higher quality, better sound and refinement. If you feel the need to. Door cards don't sound so hollow to the touch, no echo from central locking unlock/lock even doors close with a more solid sounding 'thunk.'

Long post, but hopefully it may help weigh up options.
A very Good and accurate report and have to agree with it especially the trim and the VW comment

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the very detailed review, it was brilliant. I'm going on my test drive shortly followed by other small SUV. On paper the Arona looks like a good deal compared to the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha ha Elevenses. I did look online on Vauxhall and had to pay for camera or sensors. That's an icebreaker for me.

I enjoyed my test drive in the Excellence petrol. Only got to look around the the tech lux.

Amazing finance deal at 0% which ends in a few days. Plus Gap insurance, Guard protection, alloys and scratch cover. Also told 10% price increase because of Brexit. So SEAT gave me 5 minutes to decide and sign form. Wow lots of pressure on such a good deal. He didn't like the fact that I wanted to think about.

I've ordered the car but through a lease company.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with Cyberbob's review completely. I have the 1.6TDI Se Tech Lux. Very easy and comfy car to drive, you forget quite quickly you're driving a diesel. I personally prefer the torque of a diesel over lighter petrol engines, but this is very personal.

The Arona on a lease is a tough proposition to beat, especially with the offers. Not a car I would buy outright due to the cheapness of some of the interior to be fair. Happy to answer any specific questions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dutchcourage. I have the long lead time on the car May/June. I will use this forum and browse the things people say about their car in the meantime.

I have no specific questions at this time.

Many thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Elevenses said:
Vauxhall make rubbish.
Not so much these days, our Grandland X (OK Peugoet 3008 in drag) has had no issues, no squeaks or rattles and build quality is good, 1.2 130 petrol engine is a peach as well. Previous Corsa E, no issues either, never saw the garage other than for a service, 1.4 litre petrol engine was on the thirsty side but higher quality interior than current Ibiza. I have been in a new Astra K and again quite impressed by build quality, handling and ride. Being part of PSA there will be a little more French garlic added into the mix with the new Corsa, Astra and so on. MB A Class, new Astra and new Leon will be on my list next year.

To be quite honest, VAG is rubbish in places theses days, new Audi A1 is a disappointment - another plastic fantastic interior. Design and perceived build quality seem on the slde in many VAG cars. Built to a price point and increased profitability per unit. Skoda seems to be the one within VAG bucking the trend...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've driven quite a few Vauxhall/Opal hire cars, and I have to say that the build quality has impressed me, even when they have had a few thousand miles of rental drivers under their belt. The last Corsa I drove had less squeaks than my Arona!

·
Registered
42 Posts
As with Wowzz I've also had two long term hire cars from Opel - Corsa and Astra turbo estate with 1.4 petrol. Quite impressed overall with strong engine and decent standard equipment. But overall, they just don't stack up against Arona, especially around the tech, screen quality and switch gear for ease of use. Also, driving is not so smooth or economical. SEAT wins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After a month of ownership I would agree with some comments that material quality in some areas and interior lighting could be better. However it's very well put together with no creaks or rattles. There are so many plus's to the Arona, it's one of the best cars I have had in a long time. Its a great car to drive, light clutch, very slick gearbox and a perfect driving position. There is a bit of road noise on poor surfaces but much less than I'm used to - on good surfaces the Arona is very quiet. I find the seats on the FR very comfortable on long distances and the load area very practical. The switch gear appears minimalist but it's very well thought out and there's everything you need - the infotainment system is among the best - the display extremely good. Led headlights are amazing and for the first time in any car I've ever had, the automatic lights and wipers work perfectly. Every previous car I've had, has never got these functions right to the point where I tended not to use or had to constantly adjust them. I think the Arona is one of the best looking small SUV's and the 115 Petrol engine is a cracker - nippy enough and very economical.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts