Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected to adjust my windscreen washers using the old tried and tested method of a pin in each jet. However, the jets seem hidden behind a plastic panel and their position means they are difficult to get to. There is also another "orifice" next to them whose purpose I cannot determine.

The jets are putting the water too low down and that gets lower at speed due to the air pressure. I like them about mid screen at motorway speeds.

Has anyone looked at the washer jets? Has anyone managed to adust them?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Dunklemann,
Firstly, does the spray come out as 3 jets of water or is it a fan jet of water?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gazza, it comes out as two overlapping sprays from each washer. That is the driver's side washer and the passenger's side washer each have two orifices from which the water comes.

I am assuming all Arona models have the same set up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds as if they are the normal spray nozzles so should be adjustable by a pin. if it was a single fan jet then these have a separate up down adjuster hole.
I imagine that all of them do have the same.
I did a search online, it maybe possible to change the spray nozzles over to the Fan Type which give a better coverage.
I will have to take a look sometime.

As I now have my Silent coat sound deadening arrive I will be doing under the bonnet. so will give me a chance to look at the nozzle pod. as these are all VW parts anyway, the golf/polo fan nozzles should fit.
I saw online that on the Ibiza forum someone had changed theirs, and the Arona looks as if it uses the same parts bin.

If you manage to take a pic of the nozzles we can all have a look at it and see if we are missing something.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On closer inspection it looks like one spray each side. I have also noticed damage to the bonnet paint when I have lifted the windscreen wiper arm to clean the windscreen. What a poor design!

20180818_120216~01.jpg20180818_120424~01.jpg20180818_120306~01.jpg

·
Registered
355 Posts
You have fan jets.
See the round hole next to the jet, get a 2mm Allen key or hex key and insert into the round hole, then lift it up and down to adjust the spray angle.
NOTE: with these type there is NO side to side adjustment.

As for lifting the wipers, put the blades into the Service position then you can life them out of the way.
Ive put in a link to another thread on the forum. I but the details on how to put the wipers into this mode.

https://www.aronaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=468

as for the paint damage, got to the deal and get a touch up paint.
get a light sanding paper and clean and smooth the damaged area. Be gentle as it is bonnet edge.
Then wiper the area clean with ISOPROPANOL or Panel Wipe.
then apply a little of the touch up paint. (Only enough paint to cover the white, DO NOT GO HEAVY ON THE PAINT) just needs the paint to flow in the damaged area.
Leave it is dry for a day or 2, and then inspect it, light sand and repaint if required. and let it dry again.
Usually the touch up paint comes with a clear lacquer, sand back with a ultra fine grit paper, don't take the paint off lol. the paint should be just below the top edge of the damage, so you can flow in the lacquer. leave it to Harden for a week, less if we get 30+ temps again. and hand apply some wax polish. should come out well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, I will dig out the Allen keys and give it a go.

As to the paint it seems a lot of expense. Halfords black touch up paint would do as well I suspect :shock: .

·
Registered
355 Posts
yes it would a job, but I tend to go for the professional repair and not patch.
But this is how I am..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dunklemann, did you manage to adjust your washers? Is it all ok now?

I found that getting the wiper blades into the service position you need to press for wash wipe immediately after switching off the ignition.
I have the keyless stop/start system, and the instructions in the manual say with in 9 seconds.
It does not work. more like 9 milliseconds :)

Ive added this to the other thread as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GazzaB said:
See the round hole next to the jet, get a 2mm Allen key or hex key and insert into the round hole, then lift it up and down to adjust the spray angle.
NOTE: with these type there is NO side to side adjustment.
I do not believe this is correct. It sounded implausible and unverified but I was willing to try it. I wish I had not.

I followed the instructions quoted. I could not get an Allen Key in to seat but I did get what I think is called a Torx key in, properly seated. I moved it up and down without effect so I tried with a bit more effort. This resulted in breaking the plastic surrounting the Torx head, at the top of the circle (see my previous picture).

From an engineering perspective a Torx or Allen key needs to rotate in order to tighten or loosen a screw. I suspect this is the Torx head of a screw that holds the unit, however having broken my car I am not going to experiment.

My theory is that there is no adjustment possible.

Another weak theory is that rotation of the Torx moves the spray angle up and down but someone braver than me can try it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry to hear that it did not work.
The info given to me by the Garage was false...
So I need to have a go at the Garage tech now...
I will have a go at rotating the hex key see if this does anything on mine. But I will not force it.
If it don't move, I will look to swap these out for the VW Golf/Polo ones which should fit and I know that they adjust. as did this on my golf mark 7.
the only other thing is that you have a faulty spray nozzle.
I take it that you only tried to move one of them.

When I get I chance I will have a look, and report back So now one else has this dilemma.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a post here https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/installing-fan-washers.390609/
on the seatcupranet forum showing how to replace the jet type with the fan type nozzle.

There are clear photos of the fan nozzle, which appears to be the same part as fitted to the Arona, it is adjusted by loosening the 2mm hex screw and then moving the nozzle up or down and then re-tightening the screw.

Looks like the one on the Arona is a Torx rather than a hex cap head screw.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Nigel, to save people reading that thread, here is how to adjust. I have done this and it works fine.

You need a Torx screwdriver or key. Mine was stamped 10 so it may be 1mm.

Insert it into the Torx socket and turn anti-clockwise to raise the spray and clockwise to lower the spray. It doesn't need much of a turn. There is no need to move the Torx key up or down, simply rotate it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks Dunklemann.
That has cleared that up..
I will be having words with my Garage about this info they gave me...
I am not happy, looks as if some of the techs could do with more training. Makes me wonder if I should have my service done at this place now....
if they cannot tell how to adjust a simple washer nozzle, don't want him near my engine..

This is why these forums are so good, as we can clear up any false info from SEAT and make sure it does not happen to others. I was going to have a go at adjusting mine this weekend, and may have broken mine too..

Really sorry the info I got was crap.. hope you get your one sorted.. go into the Garage a say that you went to adjust your nozzle and found it broken, they may replace it free? worth a punt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.