Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still waiting on our FR Sport being made, and in the mean time I'm watching every video on YouTube and reviews on line to tide me over until I get my own one to play with.

My question is regarding the Apple car play with the wireless charging. I have an iPhone 7 at the moment but hoping to change to a 8 or X soon with wireless charging capability. At this moment I know only a few headuits are capable of "wireless" Apple car play. Is the unit in the Arona able to do this function or will it always be a "wired" connection?

I read somewhere that the car needs built in WiFi to use this function and I don't think the Arona has this.

Just seems a shame to have the wireless charging and Apple car play and not be able to connect the two! It would be so useful to get in the car, throw my phone down on the charger and the Apple car play to start up!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Only the iPhone 8, 8+ and 10 have a QI Wireless charging circuit built in.
Bluetooth for the phone functionality.
For Apple Car Play you need to be connected to the USB port.
Your iPhone needs to be iOS version 10 or above. Recommend that you have it updated to the latest version which is 11.2.6
Mobile data and SIRI need to be activated in your phone.
Start the car, plug in the phone, and it should come up in the display that a Compatible iPhone is available. If not press the CarPlay on the head unit.
Then select on the screen your phone it this appears.
once selected, press and hold the voice control button on the string wheel to activate the Voice Command protocols for SIRI.
You should be Good to go at the point.
The following iPhones are supported Car Play.
iPhone 5C, 5S, SE
iPhone 6, 6+
iPhone 6s, 6s+
iPhone 7, 7+
iPhone 8, 8+ (Wireless Charging Compatible)
iPhone X (Wireless Charging Compatible)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Regarding mobile device connection to Full Link:
3FF712EA-9E5E-434F-B57C-033712F06B01.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried everything including all suggestions listed here and unfortunately CarPlay still won't work with iPhone 7. Spent a few hours on line chatting to Apple advisor and they are suggesting that I need to return car to dealership to carry out a firmware update? Just wondering if anybody else needed to do this and if CarPlay worked successfully afterwards? Fingers crossed 🙈

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know it's not apple but I tried my HTC 11 on the Android auto and mirror link and it won't recognise my phone just get a blank screen. My previous vw managed it fine both with the same phone and the other half's iPhone 6s, of which I haven't tried as yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jessie34 said:
I just collected my Arona today and Apple CarPlay won't work. Phone connected by usb. Am I missing something?
Not try to be a smart ass , but did you try at least two different leads ? A genuine apple lead worked for me ,hope you get a resolution soon

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jessie34 said:
Yeah, tried different leads. Using an Apple lead. Thanks though. Good to know that it worked for someone at least
Worst case scenario take car back to showroom try your phone and lead in arona in showroom - proves it's ok and dealer has to sort your arona

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Samsung s6 and also can't connect. My phone says it isn't connected to a Usb device (Which it is) so doesn't allow me to turn on mirrorlink setting and the cars says no device connected (but it was) I just don't get it. No big deal as I can still use most things through Bluetooth which I prefer as I don't need a wire plugged in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tried android auto and mirror link, both worked fine but does depend on model of phone that is compatible and a good cable.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mandaroo said:
I have a Samsung s6 and also can't connect. My phone says it isn't connected to a Usb device (Which it is) so doesn't allow me to turn on mirrorlink setting and the cars says no device connected (but it was) I just don't get it. No big deal as I can still use most things through Bluetooth which I prefer as I don't need a wire plugged in.
Sounds very similar to our 18 month old Yeti, with Skoda mirror link was a £150 option, and it took 3 goes to get it to connect phone properly. Eventually I used the charger lead (without the 3 pin plug) and got it to work. Presumably uses a similar VW group system that is very sensitive to a poor connection.

To be honest, I found that downloading the Android auto app onto phone first helps, but maybe it is now using that instead of mirrorlink

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mandaroo said:
Hi Mandaroo, my wife has a Samsung S6, it connected to car ok. Have you installed Android Auto? The first couple of times when connecting via USB it did say not connected, but just unlocked phone a it came up on display. No works fine.
Also in setting of phone have you switched on connect via USB?
image.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Ian.S
Had another go with it last night and managed to get it working. Tried a number of cables and eventually found one that worked. It must be very sensitive. Only problem is no apps come up on mirrorlink I presume I don't have any apps that support it although I would have thought Google maps would show up but I just get a blank screen. The other thing is that as it has wireless charging and Bluetooth anyway it does most things that I need it to do without the need of a wire. The built in sat nav is fine for our needs. One thing that I do need android auto for is for music.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anybody experienced any issues with their iPhone glitching out whilst in use? I have an iPhone 8+ and when using car play every now and again it will crash making a load noise and I have to remove the wire and reinsert it to get it working again. I have tried a couple of different wires and both USB ports but it is happening in all scenarios. I am hoping it's a software issue with the iPhone that may get fixed with future updates as apposed to an issue with the cars software or hardware.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts