Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 6 month wait got my Arona in mid June.
I have found car stalls when going slowly round a corner or over speed bumps on steep roads.
Told by garage this is not a fault.
Any ideas welcome apart from switching off start/stop?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive had similar problems with a different car. Sounds like an air / fuel ratio problem . Could get the garage to check the O2 Lamdba sensor which caused hesitation and stalling for me at low speeds or slowing down to turn. Could be incorrectly fitted or incorrect or fault sensor.They have a plastic clip that attaches to engine. Obviuosly dont touch it when engine is hot. Google a picture if you are not farmiliar. Could try the clip to see if its sucure.
Also check the air filter for blockages / part blockages and correctly fitted and in place. Always worth giving air filter a hoover every few months especially if you use dusty roads or dirty tracks or have been close to a beach. Winter time obviously lots of leaves around that get sucked in. That all plays around with the air intake.
Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
It is nothing to do with the stop start, more the torque curve of the engine. Once the revs are low the engine can just die.
In previous cars I have always taken sharp corners slowly in second, in the Arona you need to be in first.
Mine was always catching me out when it was new and tight, now it is run in and I have got more used to it things are better, but I still stall occasionally.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 1 litre engine has an issue that max torque is not reached until 2000 rpm so low down the engine struggles, heard of similar stories on other cars like the Golf, SEAT Toledo and others fitted with the 1 litre engine. As said above use a lower gear to keep the engine above at least 1500 rpm to reduce chances of stalling.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think this is one if those issues that's not going to go away any time soon with manufacturers making gearing longer to decrease emmissions and to improve fuel economy meaning engines are revving as high in certain gears.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought my stalling was me moving from diesels to petrol. I knew the torque curve would be different and I would have to rev higher when under load. But I was surprised that my Arona stalls so easily, although I haven't noticed it particularly at any road feature except maybe roundabouts and junctions.

What was weird was the car automatically starting. So that was Start/Stop doing its bit was it? I now don't approach roundabouts or turn offs in third but change down to second. For some busier roundabouts I use first. Nonetheless although it might be me, I am pretty sure, after driving petrol cars for most of my life, some of it is down to the characteristics of the 1.0 115 PS engined Arona model. I don't believe it is a faulty car though. Nor do I think it has anything to do with Start/Stop.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cyberbob said:
The 1 litre engine has an issue that max torque is not reached until 2000 rpm so low down the engine struggles ... use a lower gear to keep the engine above at least 1500 rpm to reduce chances of stalling.
On the SEAT site the performance figures for the Xcellence 115 engine are:
115 PS MAX. POWER 5.000 - 5.500 RPM
200 Nm MAX. TORQUE 2.000 - 3.500 RPM.
(There are equivalent figures for the other models and engines.
https://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-arona/technical-data/xcellence.html)

I would guess, given the characteristic torque vs rpm curve, that max torque lies somewhere half way between, say around 2700 rpm give or take a couple of hundred or so.

Nonetheless, I tend to accelerate in lower gears from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm. Below 1500 rpm, as Cyberbob says, I think puts too much strain on the engine. However I am surprised from DSG owners' comments at the low rpms that gearbox uses.

Here is an explanation of torque curves for geeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ian.morrison47 said:
After a 6 month wait got my Arona in mid June.
I have found car stalls when going slowly round a corner or over speed bumps on steep roads.
Told by garage this is not a fault.
Any ideas welcome apart from switching off start/stop?
How slowly are you going?! Sounds like a fault to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts