Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a handbrake failure on a FR Arona? Only this weekend mine decided to roll down a hill and crash into a concrete post even though it had been stationary for over 10 minutes! Thankfully this incident did not involve any casualties or damage to anyone else's property but I dread to think what could have happened. I had the AA out to assess the problem and they couldn't see any issues with the handbrake but I cannot believe there isn't a fault. I have found on the web a common failure relating to handbrakes operated by rear disc brakes. Apparently there can be problems where the disc is still hot after driving, the brake will hold fine but as the disc cools it's thickness reduces and the brake can slip and roll. Is this something anyone else has experienced or has knowledge of? At present, I can only assume this is what may have happened but have no evidence to prove it.
I have booked the car into the local SEAT dealership this week as a matter of urgency/ safety but I am concerned that they will sweep this problem under the carpet and just say the handbrake is fine and I will have to claim on my insurance!
Would appreciate any any upfront advise prior to having the car checked by the dealership and being hung out to dry for something that wasn't my fault.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's a plausible theory, but that would apply to all cars with rear discs and (we might hope) have a mitigating solution whixh SEAT may or may not have implemented correctly.
There were problems with the SE handbrake, but those are drums on the rear. AIUI it has been solved and mine has so far seemed ok, but I am aware of it and need to start remembering to park in gear.
I didn't used to do this in my old Inca as the engine was strong enough to start and pull away in gear (oops) but the Arona won't start until the clutch is depressed, so I need to change my habits.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Fl3tch,

I know of two instances where a car has been parked with the handbrake on and the brakes have let go, first was an Abarth 500 and that rolled down his steep drive and crashed into a house but luckily there were a load of bins which cushioned the impact..

The other was an Audi TT and that rolled quite a long way and went through a wall at the bottom of the road. Both times the cars had been driven fast before being parked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any advise prior to having the car checked by the dealership? I could do with some ammunition to back up what I believe to be a mechanical failure. I can guarantee they will fix any apparent problems without me knowing and say the handbrake is fine! Any comments welcome

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am sorry you had a problem. My drive is about a 1 in 4 so I always leave the car nose down and in reverse. However I have found that when applying the handbrake it makes a big difference (2 or 3 clicks) if you are pressing the brake pedal or not. This usually manifests itself in creaking when leaving the vehicle, or even opening the door, if the handbrake has not been firmly applied by pressing the brake pedal.
I bet the dealer will wave the owners manual page at you which says leave in gear on a slope so be prepared for this.
Try and get the dealer to send you a video of his checks to back up his findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I am expecting an extract from the owners manual but a good call ref video checks. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may or may not be of relevance, but yesterday I took my SE Tech into the dealers to have the seatbelt issue fixed. I was informed on collection, that they had also carried out recall work on the handbrake.
As I said, it may not be related to your problem. Either way, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Fl3tch said:
Thanks for the info. Does the SE tech also have rear disc brakes or drums?
The SE Tech has drum brakes at the rear
The recall modification to the Handbrake is a nut to checked or replaced it only applies to the SE with drums brakes I had the recall phone cal because I had a SE but replaced it with a FR and told it does not apply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks for confirming this. A quick update, I took my car to the dealership today and after they carried out there checks they confirmed everything relating to the brakes is ok! Surprise surprise! That being the case I had no option but to accept what they were telling me even though I still haven't got a satisfactory answer to how the car managed to be stationary for 10 minutes before rolling down a hill! Anyway as I was travelling the short journey home I noticed that on a couple of occasions a rubbing brake sound when starting off from junctions. I've had the car for almost 6 months and never had any noises like this so I contacted the dealership immediately as in my eyes I believe they have made adjustments to the brakes and decided not to mention it to me..how convenient is that! To cut a long story short I've questioned there integrity and even though they insist they haven't tampered with the brakes I have begged to differ. Ive have now decided to escalate it with SEAT UK as I can't help but think this has been a cover up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
I've just taken my se technology in for the rear seat belt recall, but they told me there is one on the hand brake as well they fixed that at the same time, all fixed both jobs done in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just booked my Arona SE Tech in for the parking brake recall (and rear seat belt fix) after receiving a Recall letter from Seat UK. Anything I need to be aware of or avoid prior to taking it to the dealers next Thursday?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had my FR a year and 1 month. It has 21,500 miles on the clock as 3 times a week it goes from Kent to Heathrow.
Since day 1 mine has creaked when you get out or in.
My family own a MB dealership, so I had it in their workshop up on a ramp to see if we can come up with a fix. We have tried different cables from handbrake to wheels, we have tried different brackets that pull on the cables in case they were bending and loosing their grip on the wheel.
We have also tried different pads and discs'. All to no avail it still creaks.
So, I've learned to live with it and once parked I leave it 1st Gear. Having to press the clutch to start the car is an advantage and having it in 1st gear means were ready to go.
Taking it to a dealer may help but (in my experience) all they will do is adjust it and say that's is all they can do.
At its first service back in Feb Seat mentioned to me they had adjusted it, but even when it was brought from the workshop to the front of the dealers it creaked when the Service manager got out.

Another question.
Mine also jerks like a kangaroo when cold or hot does yours F13tech and Keitht? It can be embarrassing when on the M25 in a queue moving at walking pace as jerks and jumps long.

Also does anyone know where I could get a parts catalogue that shows exploded views of the car. I want to see what the internal roof looks like to see if a rear light can be fitted.

·
Registered
156 Posts
alandl,
I stop mine creaking by putting the handbrake on hard whilst pressing the foot brake. If I apply the handbrake lightly the rear brakes creak when I open the door or get out of the car particularly when parked on a slope. All my dealer did was to adjust it when I moaned about the handbrake feeling rough, after a few weeks it was back to 'normal'.

I have had no problem with jerking, but have only done about 6500 miles. Did yours start after a few months, or was it like from new? If you have the 1.5 it is a known problem, see other VAG forums.

Keitht

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your right Keitht it is a 1.5
It could have been from day one, but you know what it's like trying to get use to a new car. You can't always pull away smoothly, so you put it down to it being a new car and you getting used to it.
I'm told that the gearboxes were designed for the 1.0 and not the 1.5 so there is a bit of incompatibility and that Seat are working on a software update.
I'm not convinced as the Ateca forum is full of 1.5's having the same issue but some on that forum they also mention a lag in response from putting your foot down to the car actually accelerating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat Arona FR handbrake failure.

I had my Arona FR back in October 2018. Handbrake has now failed 3 times this last time rolling down a
drive with handbrake fully engaged and in gear. Second time handbrake failed cables were replaced.
I have contacted Seat UK and opened a case which has now been archived as I do not agree that the problem
has been solved this third time. I have lost all confidence in this vehicle. I am going to monitor latest handbrake
adjustment over the next few weeks, at which time when it fails again which I am sure it will. I will take my case
up with the Motor Ombudsman.
I also have noisy brakes. Creaks when entering and leaving vehicle..
Seat Customer services were very helpful and understanding.
I was offered little treats as way of compensation for inconvenience which I declined.
I also feel that this problem is being swept under the carpet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Lottielucy,

What gear do you leave your Arona in when on your drive? I always leave mine in reverse and apply the handbrake fully using the foot brake to assist, touch wood, so far no problems. And as I said in an earlier post applying the handbrake fully seems to
solve the creaking.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As a servicetechnician I had a Volkwagen T4 van with an fault in the handbrakelever (drums at the rear) , the lever could slip and free itself.
I've had to witness it once, when it rolled towards me, when I was checking the citymap (pre-navigation) , that was a common fault and a recall.
but my van wasn't one which got to Holland via the normal way, but it was bought in Germany... so no registration in the dutch database...
so no recall either.

I presume the VAG concern learned from that mistake

Now I have a DSG7... always put it in park, otherwise the dash starts protesting and beeping

1 - 19 of 19 Posts