Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I've got an FR Sport on order, due early December. Blue with black roof. I've gone for the 1.6 TDI as I expect to do >25k per year and wanted good economy for my long commute.

Reviews and experience of the 115 1.6 TDI unit are few and far between on the web with most being of the TSI unit. What are your experiences with the engine and typical mpg?

Also, what is the ride and handling like on the FR Sport with stiffer springs and bigger wheels? I'm coming from a golf R estate so I can't imagine it'll be much different as that is fairly refined on 18's?

G

·
Howdy,

I tested the SE Tech Lux to get a feel for the engine but went for the FR Sport.

Should be ready in a couple of weeks, but the SE Tech Lux was pretty torquey and had nice bit of oomph going up to the speeds.

Will be able to tell you about the ride on the alloys once I collect the new motor!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get 65-70 mpg on a steady motorway run see around 60 with light traffic and mid fifties with heavier traffic. Engine whilst is a bit noisy when extended does give a decent level of shove and suits the car well. Mpg starts to improve after 1000 miles. I am just coming up to 1700 miles and mpg is still improving slightly.

Overall, I wish the engine/car was slightly more refined, but having added sound insulation to both front doors has added an extra layer of refinement already and improved the sound of my Beat's system in my SE Lux. Plan on doing rear doors next to finish the job.

On 17" wheels and non sports suspension ride is still firm but not too soft and is fun to drive on a b-road blast. The extra weight can be felt over the front when you change direction and steering is heavier than the petrol Arona. Although, car feels slightly more planted on the road just less 'pointy' against the petrol Arona when changing direction.

I did not find that much difference between standard and sport suspension although both on 17" wheels. Suspension is not as good as MQB cars Golf, Leon, A3 and T-Roc IMO - less sophisticated sums it up bit still good having come from a Leon MK3 and test driven a T-Roc and Golf recently. Compliant and a tidy handler is what the Arona gives you and a 'fun factor' that you may not expect.

FR does feels plusher inside than the SE Lux and FR Sport further still. Only option I would have liked is climate control, but rest of the spec on the SE Lux is very good and ticked more boxes of what I wanted spec wise for £20 less a month overall than an FR. I would not buy another Arona however - simply due to finding the interior functional but a bit dull and plasticky and will go back to petrol most lik.

My wife has just taken delivery of a Vauxhall Grandland X SE and I have to say it is well made and in parts a plush interior, more refined and a quality feel to drive and ride for not that much more than my Arona at list price. The 1.2T engine has a lovely off beat warble and decent shove although not as much as the Arona. Not what you normally associate with a Vauxhall, although it is a Peugeot 3008 in drag made in the Peugeot factory. :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts