Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I got my Arona Xperience Lux a few weeks ago and since then I have a nagging feeling that the lower grill with huge holes in it does not provide any protection to the radiator. It is pretty obvious in the attached photo. I can already spot a few stone imprints on it and the car has not even been driven above 40mph yet.

Has anyone tried to install some sort of protection and if yes, any recommendations? Or do you think I should stop worrying about this?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 arona fr red edition
60 Posts
Hi folks,

I got my Arona Xperience Lux a few weeks ago and since then I have a nagging feeling that the lower grill with huge holes in it does not provide any protection to the radiator. It is pretty obvious in the attached photo. I can already spot a few stone imprints on it and the car has not even been driven above 40mph yet.

Has anyone tried to install some sort of protection and if yes, any recommendations? Or do you think I should stop worrying about this?

Thank you.
i agree , the radiator is very exposed , i have been seeking some sort of radiator guard for my arona fr for a while , so far without success.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. Yesterday I was looking for possible solutions and I also found these DIY mesh guards. But then I stumbled upon an interesting research which claims that those mesh solutions are actually causing an engine overheating and they are doing more harm than good. The key point of that research was that modern engines are more thermally loaded and nowadays cooling systems are made with little or no extra capacity in them. Due to the economy at scale of car production it is cheaper to make a slightly underperforming cooling system and compensate that with a larger and aerodynamically designed grills which directs more air on radiators. So any mesh or similar product is disturbing the aerodynamic flow and that finely engineered balance of cost and performance. That research concludes that in the long run it is easier to replace damaged radiators rather than repair engine issues. Sharing this in case anyone finds it useful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks,

Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think one has to be careful for 3 reasons.
1. could invalidate the warranty
2. Might need to let the insurance company know as car would not be standard
3. Could affect the cooling design of the vehicle

anyway, just a few thoughts but I see what you mean about exposure to the radiator..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think one has to be careful for 3 reasons.
1. could invalidate the warranty
2. Might need to let the insurance company know as car would not be standard
3. Could affect the cooling design of the vehicle

anyway, just a few thoughts but I see what you mean about exposure to the radiator..
Thanks, Rod. All three points are valid and 1 & 3 are particularly concerning. Though I found on Youtube that in eastern Europe countries some dealerships are actually offering an aftermarket installation of radiator mesh guards. They must have some way of dealing with warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I look at the grill I think it's a very expensive repair waiting to happen,it will let a fair size stone or other debris through and into the radiator(n)
That is exactly my concern, tommo. The radiator is soo exposed and located very low to ground. It may look cool and functional in the sterile lab environment of the people who designed it, but the roads we are driving on are far from being ideal.

·
Registered
Arona FR 1.5 DSG
24 Posts
When I finally take delivery of my car I am seriously considering using an aftermarket mesh for added radiator protection,granted it would be very bad luck to get a punctured rad but a replacement,plus fitting would probably be approx £350. I'm no expert but I can't see the cooling being affected as a result of fitting the mesh so I may take a chance🤞

·
Registered
Arona FR 1.5 DSG
24 Posts
Not sure by looking at the pic if there is a gap under the bumper between it and the rad if so this is a really bad design.
Yes Hiboost very small cable ties will do the job,I would use only enough mesh to cover the rad not the whole grill(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure by looking at the pic if there is a gap under the bumper between it and the rad if so this is a really bad design.
Yes Hiboost very small cable ties will do the job,I would use only enough mesh to cover the rad not the whole grill(y)
I have checked this morning and there is no gap under the bumper and between the radiator. It is is all covered by plastic shield

1 - 17 of 17 Posts