Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All, Whoops, I started this in the wrong place, so sorry for that. Hopefully, this is the correct place.
I get the feeling you guys have the same attitude to 'auto start-stop', as I/we do? Not that we want to deactivate it, We'd like to swap it over so that, when you start the car you have to make the selection to activate the option, rather than stop it. Yes, I accept the principle of the idea but similar to exercise each day - it's not for everybody.
Not that I'm against the idea of a marathon so long as there are a few pints. quite a few really, available at the end.
So my question is, how do you 'modify' the switch to turn Stop-start ON, rather than off, each time you start the car??
Here in the 'sunny south pacific' - The Land of the Long White Cloud, we don't have the M25 to deal with but we do have 'stagger hour traffic'!!
She-who-must-be-obeyed, would like to purchase an Arona style, I tried to get her into an FR but I had to agree with her, tooo much technology.
So, the KISS principle won out.
BUT, the stop-start rubish is the wrong way around and if the operation of it can not be reversed, it's a show stopper.
She currently has a Mazda 2, 5 spd manual - which she loves but it's 11 yrs young now.
The DSG box is great, so it's the direction we want to go, rather than an auto box.
Cheers, Ian.
AKA, newbe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Greetings All, Thanks for the replies on the other chaps post. I agree with the idea 'stop-start', I just want it to work for me. Bit like being told you can only have one pint every two hours? I'd be finding another pub.
I'd much prefer to tell the car I want stop-start, rather than have a machine tell me what I need. Yes, stop-start has its uses - stagger hour traffic is not one of them, not when you're staggering along.
All I need to know (and probably others too?) is, can the switch operation be reversed? IE, the option of telling the car I want stop-start, rather than the car telling you, you're having stop-start.
I'm guessing there's an advantage to having a Bosch (long life?) starter motor, rather than a 'lord-of-darkness' starter motor???
Whose propaganda do you believe???
I know the MHD technology, Merc use on the Smart range of cars is about as much use as a heater in hell.
Cheers, Ian.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All Start/Stop cars have a long life starter motor. It's not propaganda, it's simple and verifiable engineering.

Start/Stop systems have been around for a long time. If they were causing failures, we would know by now.

To answer your question... No, you cannot have Start/Stop turned off by default (press to turn on). I do agree though that it would be a nice option to have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings BenC, You agree with me, I like it. So that's now two people, me & you, that want it. So all we need to do is keep doubling the total and in no time, we'll have half the world's population wanting it. Sadly, I don't agree with you that it can not be turned about, so you select it to have stop-start. It's a switch action, that provides a computer with a command. Computers are supposed? to be there to help humans, not hinder them - that's what makes us human, the ability to think in an 'illogical' fashion. This is why there are so many different cars about. The Russians tried to subdue their population with the Lada - how well did that work. If we were all computers, it would have worked well?? There's a reason why aeroplanes have pilots in charge. So, there must be a way of telling the computer to have 'stop-start' as the 'option' - not the command. Cheers, Ian.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm all for this, if possible, what I would like is the stop/start function to operate after I've been stationary for, say five seconds, and not to switch off the instant that I come to a standstill.
In my situation I'm very rarely stuck in queues as I'm retired and mostly use the roads when commuter traffic has gone, but what annoys me is the instant I stop it cuts in, I deactivate it as soon as I start my journey.
But I agree with previous comment, it should be possible to reverse this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I support this also. The biggest issue that I have is when I arrive outside my house, slow to a crawl, waiting for the opportunity to turn right into my driveway. Then, as I get the chance to nip in between traffic, the power steering is off and I wait a second for the car to start, much to the annoyance of the oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hopefully someone will come up with a way to reverse it to default off (press to turn on). It would be useful.

Until then, if you really don't like the system, maybe just turn it off completely. You can buy a Carista OBD dongle for £15.99 on Amazon, and it includes a 7 day free trial of the iPhone/Android app. Disabling Start/Stop (no need to press the button) is just a few taps, very simple.

Once you disable Start/Stop using Carista, the button will do nothing, but you can obviously re-enable Start/Stop using the Carista app.

I can confirm that Carista works fine with the Arona...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-OBD2-Adapter-App/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=carista&qid=1553512920&s=gateway&sr=8-1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mad SEAT person said:
Computers are supposed? to be there to help humans, not hinder them - that's what makes us human, the ability to think in an 'illogical' fashion. This is why there are so many different cars about. The Russians tried to subdue their population with the Lada - how well did that work. If we were all computers, it would have worked well??
Lol. You are not the first person to make an unfavourable comparison between Soviet Russia and the current form of passive-aggressive authoritarian capitalism, I'm sure you won't be the last.
Anyhoo, as has been pointed out, this is all controlled by software and it ought to be a trivial matter not only to make the default state configurable but also to make the stop delay adjustable to suit the individual's driving environment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DomesticExtremist,,,,the option you are referring to will no doubt be available in a future programmable set up via the infotainment system,,,,I just want it now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been doing a bit of digging online and it would seem that it is possible, but it requires a modification to the button itself.

Basically, it's a memory module that remembers the last button state and adds persistence, so if you turn Start/Stop off using the button, it will remain off until you turn it back on using the button (even after a restart).

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/start-stop-automatic-ssa/start-stop-automatic-memory-modul-ssam-modul
This module doesn't list the Arona as a compatible car, but there are many other modules available that might.

There is only so much 3rd parties can do with software, they can enable/disable features via OBD, but these are all pre-defined by SEAT. To add a completely new feature like this, it will generally require a physical module (only SEAT can do it via software).

Edit:

There is a much cheaper version on eBay which appears to be selling very well. It supports the latest Ibiza, so it should support Arona.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Start-Stop-Memory-module-with-SERVICE-MODE-Start-Stop-SSA-memory/322352078637?hash=item4b0dae5f2d:g:ArAAAOSwzRlaGn7O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings All, OK, good things take time. Trouble is, one needs the time and eventually I found some. Tardis, eat your heart out. So, I purchased said beastie, on evilbay, as per "https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Start-St ... SwzRlaGn7O". And am now having a bit of trouble fitting it as the U-tube videos go on about 12 volts - etc., etc. and do not relate to the Arona. The voltages at the 'auto start / stop' switch are in the region of 5 volts DC, not 12. I've removed the switch module and as I've no wiring diagram of the switch contacts have checked continuity between all of the pin contacts, whilst pressing the switches for each pair of pins. There is only continuity of about 3 ohms on two pin pairs and I'd suspect that is the resistance of the light bulbs with in the switch unit. Question, has anybody had any luck fitting one of these modules? And, if so, which wires / colours / pin contacts did you use???? The only wire I can confirm as 'ground', is the Brown wire. There's no 12 V(+) with ignition on, on any pin or voltage increasing or decreasing with the 'stop/start' switch pressed, on any pin - even after 10 seconds.... Me thinks the switch is putting a 1 or 0 on a digital bus??? And 12 volts is not being switched.. Any thoughts please?? Cheers, Ian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts