Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. We recently took delivery of a 1.0TSI 115 SE Tech DSG and find the Auto Stop/Start function strange to the point of being annoying. The sales guys say it is operating as normal.

When braking to 3 or 4 mph for a very rough speed bump, or even a roundabout the engine cuts and then immediately restarts.

Also when Neutral is selected when waiting at lights etc the engine will restart.

Has any one else experienced this?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings All, If I may biff my 2d in here? I get the feeling you guys have the same attitude to 'auto start-stop', as I/we do? Not that we want to deactivate it, We'd like to swap it over so that, when you start the car you have to make the selection to activate the option, rather than stop it. Yes, I accept the principle of the idea but similar to exercise each day - it's not for everybody.
Not that I'm against the idea of a marathon so long as there are a few pints. quite a few really, available at the end.
So my question is, how do you 'modify' the switch to turn Stop-start ON, rather than off, each time you start the car??
Here in the 'sunny south pacific' - The Land of the Long White Cloud, we don't have the M25 to deal with but we do have 'stagger hour traffic'!!
She-who-must-be-obeyed, would like to purchase an Arona style, I tried to get her into an FR but I had to agree with her, tooo much technology.
So, the KISS principle won out.
BUT, the stop-start rubish is the wrong way around and if the operation of it can not be reversed, it's a show stopper.
She currently has a Mazda 2, 5 spd manual - which she loves but it's 11 yrs young now.
The DSG box is great, so it's the direction we want to go, rather than an auto box.
Cheers, Ian.
AKA, newbe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm still in two minds about auto stop/start.
It seems to be quite useful most of the time, but in a really heavy traffic queue with lots of shuffling, the starter runs more than the engine. In those circumstances, I disable it.
If I end up having to replace the starter motor, something I have never needed to do on any car of any age, I will curse it until the end of time.
It is pretty easy to override for speed bumps etc by keeping the clutch depressed.
That being said, it would be very useful to have the option to be on or off by default.
I'm not keen on the car thinking it knows better than the individual driver - have already disabled the tiredness monitor (I just look dopey, OK!).

·
Registered
108 Posts
DomesticExtremist said:
If I end up having to replace the starter motor, something I have never needed to do on any car of any age, I will curse it until the end of time.
You shouldn't have any issues. A lot of people worry about Start/Stop causing damage, but that really isn't true. The components used in a Start/Stop equipped car are not standard components, they are Start/Stop specific components, re-engineered for the task.

Here is an extract from a Bosch publication (Bosch supply most Start/Stop systems)...

"Starters for start / stop systems are designed for many more starting operations than conventional starters. They feature reinforced bearings, an enhanced planetary gear unit, a heavy-duty meshing mechanism and an optimized commutator."

Some conventional starters are rated to as few as 30,000 starts, whereas some Start/Stop starters are rated to 1 million+ starts.

The battery will also be a Start/Stop specific battery, as well as many other components in the car.

http://br.bosch-automotive.com/media/parts/engine_systems__auto_parts/start_stop_motorsystems/downloads_startstop/Start_Stop_Parts_Diagnostics_and_Services_2012-10_en.pdf

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yedi said:
The sales guys say it is operating as normal.

When braking to 3 or 4 mph for a very rough speed bump, or even a roundabout the engine cuts and then immediately restarts.

Also when Neutral is selected when waiting at lights etc the engine will restart.
The salesperson is telling the truth ( :eek: ). This is normal behaviour for Start/Stop.

I agree though, it can be extremely frustrating when it restarts for no obvious reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Auto stop/start has a few features!

It will only operate when the car is warm and battery is adequately charged (no worries about flattening the battery in other words...)

Adaptive Cruise control cars engines will start 'when the car in front pulls away'!! (nice!)

If the car requires electric power in excess of normal, the engine will also restart automatically.

If you stall the car (embarrassing) it will restart it for you (not so embarrassing)

Therefore, it's not a simple mechanical system, but IMHO works fine, certainly better than the Skoda Yeti system did!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agreed, it's a good system but does require getting used to, and slight changes to how you drive.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but any movement of the steering wheel will also restart the engine. Many of the random restarts that were frustrating me were actually caused by touching the wheel (even a few mm of movement will restart the engine). I have since stopped touching the wheel while the car is stationary and Start/Stop is now far more predictable (the engine actually stays off!).

I'm also now getting the hang of using the brake pedal to control Start/Stop. Lightly pressing to keep the engine on, hard pressing to activate Start/Stop. Once you get the hang of it, you can really control the system and make it work for you.

The SEAT system appears to be far more advanced than the systems on my past cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.