Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just booked my 3rd annual (fixed) service and first MOT for Mid July. Service desk agent said a brake fluid change at an additional £69 is also required at 3 years but I can't find this requirement specifically in the handbook. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture from the air), however the system has a lid on the filler bottle so is unlikely to deteriorate in 3 years. Comically they suggest 3 years then every 2 years (although why the replacement fluid only lasts 2/3 of time in same system isn’t explained)

But unless you regularly drive down mountain passes and likely to boil the fluid, nearer 5 years is generally ok between changes in a country without any Alpine passes to drive down.

There is a special measuring probe that can be used to check moisture quality of fluid if you are worried. But changing it pointlessly frequently is just making extra money for dealer.

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
This is the "stem lube" upselling that grinds my gears.....
Do the brakes feel spongy ? If not, it's a scam....

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I didn't know a brake fluid tester was available but following your lead I've purchased one and tested the fluid in the master cylinder. Result, - under 1.5% moisture in the fluid so all good. Much cheaper than giving the dealer £69 for an unnecessary fluid change and the tester will be handy for future use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts