Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I thought I share my experience with you what it entails to be a SEAT customer. I purchased SEAT Arona 1.0 SE Technology DSG from Arnold Clark Seafield in December 2017. On 30th of March while driving in the motorway passenger window suddenly started to go down to a position where it wouldn't go back up again. This caused me to stop at a shoulder and try to close it as it was snowing heavily. The window motor did not function at all until I've tried to pull the window myself and try to close it. After few attempts the motor started functioning again and closed. I knew that this was not normal and hence I've booked the car in Arnold Clark service for 11th April 2018.

It has spent almost 4 months in the Arnold Clark service (collected it back 19th July 2018).

Arnold Clark has been shockingly bad, not getting in touch with me at all, not having any updates. They have tried to change window motor, switch, checked wiring loom and SEAT has tried to diagnose the problem themselves after failed attempts by Arnold Clark. Later I've found out that my car is now in Milton Keynes with SEAT technical team. It looked like the ECU failed to reprogram, as Arnold Clark has informed me.

After couple of weeks (around 25th April 2018) the car has spent at Arnold Clark service, I was contacted by VW Group replacement car partners to find out that I will be provided with a replacement vehicle from Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Finally, I thought, some good news. Not. I was given VW Touareg with a 3-litre TDI engine. Does it compare with the fuel consumption of 1-litre SEAT Arona petrol engine? Well, it's at least 3 times as much. Nobody ever asked me if this is the replacement vehicle I'm happy about.

Touareg got taken away from me as they did not want to pay for the rent of the car while I'm away on holiday. On May 19th 2018, I came back and Enterprise Rent-a-Car gave me VW Sharan! If you are reading this, think, how SEAT Arona, small SUV, compares to MPV? I've instantly noted to Enterprise that the vehicle is way too big for my parking space and there's is a risk that it will get damaged by neighbouring drivers. Enterprise did not care stating that they do not have any other automatic cars. I was told that I will be contacted once other VW product becomes available. Did I receive a call from Enterprise? No. After multiple calls I've managed to speak to a manager at Enterprise who promised he will contact me same day regarding new replacement vehicle. Finally, after multiple attempts and hours of wasted time I was asked to come to Edinburgh Airport and collect VW Tiguan 2.0TDI that I kept until I got my Arona back.

A week later, I received a letter regarding the safety recall...oh boy. 2months into the service I got appointed a VW customer relations manager that never bothered ringing me and giving me any updates. He promised me 'gesture of goodwill' once my car gets back on the road.
Funniest/saddest thing about this whole story was that after this much of inconvenience, I was offered either: 1. Free service 2. £150 on a dealer network 3. Full tank of petrol (≈ £45). I've spent more money driving the Touareg in the first week than they managed to offer me.

Do you think I have any ground of returning it and terminating my PCP contract? :oops:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Suggest you read these.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/97463/my-skoda-superb-on-a-four-year-pcp-is-faulty---should-i-reject-it-in-case-it-can-t-be-fixed-

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal-motoring-advice/2017-08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-right-to-reject-a-car/

Your rejection is with the supplying dealer, not anyone else who got involved in repairs, or finance company
Best bet is to try and get them to take it back and supply a new car from stock (with you paying a reasonable amount for the 4 months you used it, nothing more), as a replacement. You are perfectly entitled to cash refund which would pay off the PCP

There are further links related to above regarding recovering any extra costs, Use the threat of suing in court as part of your action against supplying dealer.

I would also phone the finance company and advise them that due to car being away you are putting them on notice of intention to reject from day it went in. Ask them what their procedure is.

No one should have to wait that long for repairs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your issue is not with the Arona - you've just been unlucky enough to have a very freaky fault. Your issue is not with Enterprise who are taking instructions from Arnold Clark. Your issue is with Arnold Clark who is far as I know I'm not renowned for after sales. You should have had another Arona or alternative SEAT all the while your car was off the road. Publish your story as widely and often as possible. Maybe SEAT will step in to protect their reputation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts