Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a personal registration on this and my previous car. When I first got it, the dealer registered the car with it. I want to transfer it to my new Arona which I assume is unregistered at the moment.

Now my dealer salesman says the rules have changed and that "you can't take a new car off the lot with a personal registration". I am OK with taking it off my current car and getting the holding certificate, but I don't understand why I cannot simply give the dealer the documents or info and get him to register the new car with my number.

Looking at the government site, I think the car has to be taxed before the transfer of the registration can take place. Would I be right in thinking this is the change, and that you cannot tax a car without a registration?

Thus he registers it, gets a new registration, then taxes it. He then either
puts new registration plates on it and lets me drive away in it to transfer at my leisure,
or
he puts my registration plates on it, completes the transfer on receipt of my documents, then lets me drive it away when the transfer is complete.

This must happen a lot but it is not clear to me. Would anyone who has recently done it perhaps like to tell me how it was for them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've experienced putting a personal registration on both a private brought car and a leased car, as you don't say if you are leasing or buying here are my experiences.

Lease car.
I had my registration on a certificate but the certificate was in my name. Seat will allow personal registrations, but the certificate must be in the name of Volkswagen Finical Services. When I ordered my Arona I asked the dealer about putting a personal registration on it and was told yes but It must be in the name of VFS. So while it was being build I had the name on the certificate changed by DVLA. The dealer asked for the certificate to be mailed it to him when I received the new certificate in the name of VFS. The dealer registered the car with that number and when I picked it up my number was on it.
On the day of picking up the car at the dealership (16th March) I signed the release form that the car was okay, he went on line and registered and taxed the car before I drove off.

Brought Car.
I brought the wife initials from the DVLA when the 66 registrations came out, we ordered her Ateca in Dec 2016 and told the dealer we had a number to put on it. Once it was built and on the boat to the UK, he asked for the certificate I mailed it to him and the car was registered with the number on it.

I used 2 different dealers (the Arona from Seat Derby and the Ateca from Seat Birmingham). Both dealers were knowledgeable and helpful in putting a personal reg on the cars.
I had no problems or either dealer saying I could not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a personal reg, which has been on four cars, soon to be a fifth.

I buy through a 'Vending Buying Group' that they use. [email protected] - Great people. So he knows where you got his name use 'carryonvending' as the promo code,

My Arona will be delivered to my local dealer, and it will be pre registered, then my Personal Reg can be added. My existing car will relinquish the personal Reg, and revert to its original allocated number (Which I have the plates).

Andrew will pick up my new car, deliver it to my office, and afterwards remove my insignia as part exchange.

How is that for service, and indeed greatly discounted prices?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All my cars with my personal registration have been owned outright by me.

I intend to do the removing/parking of my personal registration myself, and see if the dealer will register the car with that plate or whether I have to do it.

The dealer said the rules had changed so has anyone been in that situation, e.g. with their Arona?

·
Registered
27 Posts
All my cars were purchased outright, but each time the dealer has organised the plate transfer.

Plus its not brain surgery online or at your local DVLA office

·
Registered
116 Posts
We collect our motability Arona tomorrow. The salesman sorted everything 're the private plate. We just had to email the retention certificate when it arrived by post about 2 weeks ago and it will be on the car when we collect tomorrow..... hopefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts