Seat Arona Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were on about the cabin filter, which will allow all sorts of particles through when new... As it gets used the larger holes get plugged, and so the "mesh" gets smaller and smaller making a better filter, until it's clogged... Then it's useless !
I'm at a loss, all my life have had the understanding that a new filter is at its best point when it comes to filtering air.... and and time passes by it's less effective cuz it losses its ability to filter. So as long it doesn't get super clogged (blocked) I can stick with one filter for the rest of my life? D:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally I'd change it every 2 years as it can eventually end up covered in bacteria and the car will end up smelling like you've got a wet dog in it. It happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
575 Posts
I'm at a loss, all my life have had the understanding that a new filter is at its best point when it comes to filtering air.... and and time passes by it's less effective cuz it losses its ability to filter. So as long it doesn't get super clogged (blocked) I can stick with one filter for the rest of my life? D:
If it's not blocked, why would you change it ?
Yes, efficiency will drop over time... And I wouldn't apply the theorum to engine filters (although K&N filters never got changed!)
It's as daft as changing your bulbs regularly in my opinion 😉

·
Registered
194 Posts
Once upon a time the only air filter on your car was the one attached to the engine air intake, I am convinced that pollen filters are an unnecessary addition, dreamt up by manufacturers to increase the cost of servicing, my previous vehicle required the pollen filter to be changed at the second service, the dealer wanted £80! I declined.
Why does the air within the car need filtering? We breathe the same air as we walk about, or will the requirement to wear a pollen filtering mask soon be a legal requirement.
Vacuum it out, if you can be bothered, or rip it out, you will increase the air velocity from your heater and fascia vents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once upon a time the only air filter on your car was the one attached to the engine air intake, I am convinced that pollen filters are an unnecessary addition, dreamt up by manufacturers to increase the cost of servicing, my previous vehicle required the pollen filter to be changed at the second service, the dealer wanted £80! I declined.
Why does the air within the car need filtering? We breathe the same air as we walk about, or will the requirement to wear a pollen filtering mask soon be a legal requirement.
Vacuum it out, if you can be bothered, or rip it out, you will increase the air velocity from your heater and fascia vents.

Hmmm that's a good point, you leftme with a lot of thinking todo definitely :unsure:

Why does the air within the car need filtering? We breathe the same air as we walk about,
Only thing I can think is that because the car speed is waaay faster than us walking thus we get much more particles (pollen included) and therefore an additional filter is needed?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts