Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any Forum member please tell me how to set the Cruise control on my Arona model which also has the adaptive cruise control, i can get the speed limiter to work but when i try to set the ordinary cruise control it seems to automatically go in adaptive control, am i missing something i have tried to follow the owners manual on the third lever press this push and pull that but to no avail, is there a particular sequence you have to follow!

·
Registered
109 Posts
As far as I can see, the cruise control is ACC only.

I gave my Arona its first motorway run at the weekend around 1000 miles and tried out the CC. I have to say I prefer ordinary CC because I don't like having to slow down to someone else's speed! I prefer a steady rate.

If you are a <swearing omitted> MIDDLE OF THE ROAD driver then ACC is a dream come true I suppose. (Personally I would replace the driver attention and lane assist features with the MOR feature incorporating electric shocked driver's seat on detecting driving in the middle or outer motorway lane with the inner lanes empty.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
CC is one thing I'll never use ... I hate the thought of the car controlling speed .
My hubby uses it all the time even at low speeds and used it on the way to Cosford Air Show .. I hate to be a passenger and feel the constant pull / revs of the car maintaining speed ..
I Drove Home 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts
ACC is awesome, use it on the motorway daily. Takes the tension off driving in a column of cars. You just have to get used to the trap zone behind a car and move out in time. And recognise that it doesn't 'see' stationary objects or close large ones (it tried to run me smack into a bus the other day). But overall well worth it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like ACC have it on the current Leon and SE Tech Lux comes with it to. . You can deactivate ACC through the menu settings I thought for it to become CC?

Problems I find is on curves when it picks up another vehicle going slower, delay after a slower moving vehicle has pulled over or if you have cars constantly moving into the quite large space the system leaves between vehicles at higher speeds. However, as an added safety device keeping you at a safe distance it works really well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is no way to turn it into traditional CC. It is either activated or deactivated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cyberbob said:
Dunkelmann said:
There is no way to turn it into traditional CC. It is either activated or deactivated.
will see if the Arona can or cannot.
Ok don't believe me :). However I have read the manual and played with it for 2000 miles. I eagerly await the results of your definitive research proving me wrong.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dunkelmann said:
Cyberbob said:
Dunkelmann said:
will see if the Arona can or cannot.
Ok don't believe me :). However I have read the manual and played with it for 2000 miles. I eagerly await the results of your definitive research proving me wrong.
I can only comment on the Leon - I am sure you are correct about the Arona :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dunkelmann said:
You are right on both the Leon and the Arona, I thought the assistance systems, which you can turn off via MFD included ACC, making it CC opps, there are many, many people with a bigger brain than me :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dunkelmann said:
As far as I can see, the cruise control is ACC only.

I gave my Arona its first motorway run at the weekend around 1000 miles and tried out the CC. I have to say I prefer ordinary CC because I don't like having to slow down to someone else's speed! I prefer a steady rate.

If you are a <swearing omitted> MIDDLE OF THE ROAD driver then ACC is a dream come true I suppose. (Personally I would replace the driver attention and lane assist features with the MOR feature incorporating electric shocked driver's seat on detecting driving in the middle or outer motorway lane with the inner lanes empty.)
I don't see why SEAT's ACC is particularly useful for middle lane hogs. I don't imagine they'd have the confidence to use the technology. But in answer to your main point: as with anything new, there's a learning curve which requires a little bit of application and patience from you. I didn't like it to start with but I didn't see that as a reason for abandoning it without a fair trial. The system gives you fair warning that it has spotted a vehicle in front at which point you can flick it off and/or override it with the accelerator. Also you can experiment with the settings. Another issue might be that you are used to being a little bit too close to the car in front

·
Registered
109 Posts
BlueBoy68 said:
I don't see why SEAT's ACC is particularly useful for middle lane hogs.

... used to being a little bit too close to the car in front
Point 1 - They are lazy. Instead of overtaking they slow down until the car in front passes the vehicle on the inside lane and moves back in. Then the hog resumes their cruising speed. ACC now means they don't need to move the steering wheel or their accelerator.

Point 2 - I drive 2 seconds behind the car in front usually when cruising. I do not drive too close so please do not imply that :). I have adjusted the ACC distance as I read the friendly manual as soon as I get a new car, unlike most. After using ACC extensively now, I would still prefer to have the choice of ordinary CC. Nonetheless with ACC I tend to move out before its slowdown kicks in, when I think the vehicle in front is going to slow me down and I am not being overtaken.

BB, it is not that one is right and one is wrong. Some prefer oranges that have to be peeled and some prefer nectarines that don't - each to his own, but give people the choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: too close. I was not intending to impugn your driving ability - merely reflecting on why almost everyone using the ACC for the first time, including you and me, were a trifle inconvenienced by the seemingly super-safe auto-slow

Re: Middle lane hogs. My suggestion is not laziness but a lack of confidence in the use of mirrors, in particular, the door mirrors. If, for instance, it were fear of being trapped on the inside lane by inconsiderate overtakers, that would be defensible, though not justifiable. But it wouldn't explain why they're reluctant to overtake using the right hand lane. If it IS to do with the use if mirrors then that's a level of (in)competence which means that they shouldn't be on the road in the first place - a conclusion you've probably already reached but by another route

ACC is a refinement of CC rather than an alternative. And imagine the US lawsuits from American drivers blaming the ACC for failing to stop them hitting the car in front when really they were in CC mode

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you are being somewhat generous in your interpretation of the behaviour of the hogs ;) . My cynicism matures nicely with age.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use the ACC when I am on a long run, usually when driving 400miles to Germany, as it makes it a damm site easier to cruise along.
Ive got over the need to speed, I will leave that up to all of you that choose to do it.

Having lived in Germany for 11years, and been able to do the Autobahn speeds, and Yes I have been over 150mph. 176mph on my super sport motorbike. and Having raced motorbikes and rallied cars, I do not need the thrill anymore.
I am perfectly happy to do the speed limit, and use all the lanes at appropriate times in the journey.
What does get my blood racing is assholes that sit feet from the back of my car.

When you have seen someone die at the side of the road because of an idiot like that.. Then it puts it into perspective.
and yes I have seen it, and no its not a pleasant thing.

I leave you all with that thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts