Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first post - potential new member.

I am looking for a new vehicle to deliver driving lessons.
I had narrowed it down to a Fiesta or Ibiza - 1.0L turbo petrol.
I was swayed towards the Ibiza, but because I will be in the vehicle maybe 8 hours a day, wanted comfort.
The Xcellence ticks most boxes, unfortunately the xcellence has been specified mostly as 75 - and I don't like the Alcantara as the suede effect is uncomfortable after a while.
The FR is ruled out as sporty seats are uncomfortable to sit sideways on and sporty looks are not conducive to proper learning!!

I had initially ruled out diesels as both myself and partner had problems with the DPF.
At the local Seat dealers a few weeks ago I looked at an Arona.
I am 6' and 17 stone, so the slightly bigger vehicle (after I was assured it really was pretty much the same footprint as an Ibiza) felt better to me.
I also, along with most people I speak to, prefer the raised driving position.
On reading this forum, I am somewhat reassured that the modern diesel engines capability of self regeneration from this thread:
https://www.aronaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=440&p=3235&hilit=regeneration#p3235
Maybe the DPF is not something to fear as it has been.

One technical question I am struggling to find info on is:
Short journeys around are often quoted as being unsuitable for diesels,
but is this because they don't like running before they get properly warmed up on short journeys?
or because the low revs of urban motoring versus the motorway driving (which could in themselves be low rev journesy on a 6 speed box)?

Following on from this - would a driving school car, which will probably do 30k miles a year on often 2 hour drives at a time negate dpf issues,
or would it exacerbate potential issues because of the relatively slow speeds?

I was waiting until now, the beginning of the 19 plates, to get a decent discount on a 12 month old vehicle.
I am seeing quite a lot of deals on the Se Technology Lux.
It has lots of features I would like, including keyless entry and a six speed box, plus the 115 diesel engine I'm guessing would be have a good amount of torque so be forgiving to learners.

Thanks for making it to the end!
I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys could help me with the decision, and maybe becoming a fully fledged member here :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 1.6 115 tdi engine is great and no issue at all with urban driving. Regarding the dpf, I typically do long commutes so can't comment. Never had a DPF light come on the dash like it used to in my old Ibiza but sometimes I can hear the fan going if I've nipped to the supermarket and parked up for example.

Probably a good question to ask a technician at seat. If they say diesel is suitable for your use, get something in writing when you order stating that if you can.

As a side note, i always found diesels easier to drive for bite point etc when learning as they're more 'forgiving'. Modern petrol engines feel very light and easier to stall...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi
As the last post says the three cylinder petrol engine can be suspectible to stalling due to having no low end torque So stick with the desiel

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have had no issues with my 1.6TDi either, do short runs with longer runs thrown in. Decent torque and turn of speed, spec is spot and a comfortable car over long journeys.

DPF regen takes place at over 40 mph for 10-20 mins as a rule of thumb. The only extra you have to throw in is Ad-Blue 4.5-5L every 4500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input - I took everything you said on board, and went for an SE Technology Lux TDI (115)
3 months old and 700 miles.
It is in the exact colour I wanted too :)
It has all the features I wanted, along with some I didn't know I wanted!!
First time with keyless entry which I think I'm going to really like. My partner has keyless ignition but not entry, and it is driving her mad as she has to find her keys to open the car, but then put the keys into her handbag to start it, and find them again to lock it.
The only thing I am slightly disappointed with it the lack of practical storage space, underseat, centre console etc.
But am more than happy with how the car looks, feels and drives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi has anyone got photos of a seat arona driving school car. What type/ size of roof sign will it take and what's the overall ratings given by instructors using this car

·
Registered
16 Posts
No offence but isn't that number plate illegal? The spacings are wrong. Shouldn't a driving school set a better example!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I've just bought a seat arona for driving school anyone recommend a roof sign or should I buy roof. Ats and fit my old sign to them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks still hoping for a reply perhaps with a picture. I've a new seat arona and need a suitable roof sign to replace my end L sign I'd like a more dynamic one if possible. Has anyone got a roof sign on the arona

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.