Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I've only had the car for a day and only done about 50
miles! But I've noticed it doesn't pull away very quickly when start stop has activated..

I take my foot off the brake, the engine restarts but then it feels like it's kind of low on power for a couple of seconds after that and just creeps away before regaining full power.

I just got back from Florida where I had a VW Tiguan as a rental car, that had start stop and could pull away a lot quicker, the gearboxes must be similar if not the same?

Just wondering if it's actually an issue with the car or is just something that happens with DSG and start/stop with the Arona? Might just turn it off on every trip otherwise as can't be dealing with that when needing to pull off quickly at roundabouts etc!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is your car petrol or diesel?

There is a way of restarting early, so ready to go, by easing pressure on the brake pedal to light braking, I don't think clutches engage (check rev counter) until you press accelerator

Or just switch it off, which seems to be common solution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine's manual and I miss it tbh when the stop start disables itself, often , when it detects too many short journeys / air con etc.

So if you permanently switch it off be aware you lose an easy indicator that your battery charge is in a good state or insufficient to allow it to turn your engine off at the lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It does my head in!
Having suffered total loss of power steering whilst turning ( admittedly only briefly ) but still disconcerting!
I deliberately turn the damn thing off as soon as I start the engine!
Also I've noticed shops selling dedicated engine oil " designed to combat engine wear caused by stop/start"
Enough said!
Wish I could permanently disable it 😡

·
Registered
68 Posts
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Nobody reads anymore so I'll paraphrase. Jury's out on whether manufacturers' steps being taken to avoid crankshaft wear and improve modern lubricants will be fully effective.

There is also individual attitudes to polluting city air as you sit in a line of traffic but time for a cold pint now.

Better than stressing over a car you plan to trade after 3 years but many valid points made on Honest John type sites and by Pops himself. Cheers..glug glug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it's just another nail in the coffin of motoring joy!
I'm already frustrated by the dsg set up on this 1.0 engine in previous posts I have mentioned!
I can't get my head round the stupidly rapid progression up the gears to the point of being in 6/7 gear at 25mph
even on a hill with the engine obviously struggling!
But of course VAG and others are desperate to present their green credentials at any cost!
And in my opinion removing any pleasurable driving!
Anyway I agree it must be beer o clock! 🍻🍺😋

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't find the changing up early too much of an issue, as it will quickly change down if I need to accelerate quickly. I can also stick it in sport if I want to get a bit more of a move on.

It's just the stop start I'm not liking, turn it off on most journeys. I know you can control it with how hard you press the brake but I don't want to constantly be thinking about pressing it lightly or normally. The only time it's of benefit is if you're at a red light and going to be stationery for 1 minute or more. Stopping at junctions / roundabouts / brief traffic it's going to do more harm than good, use more fuel to restart the engine and cause parts to wear more quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get the principle of stop/start for example, stood in a motorway queue, but for me and my local driving habit which involves numerous junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights etc it just seems pointless and irritating to stop the engine for a matter of seconds!
And yes it's surely got to be causing unnecessary wear on engine, starter motor, battery so forth!
But hey I'm no mechanic!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Totally agree Pops that in those circs anyone sane person, or someone who wants to remain sane , should touch that little old off button.

That's assuming you can reach this awfully sited left hand button ;) [ see Pain thread.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts