Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to write something on the forum regarding the ownership experience after covering the first 1,000 miles.

We have an Xcellence Lux 1.0 DSG in red with black roof. This is our second car and the criteria for buying it were quite extensive. The boxes it had to tick were:
Small overall dimensions. It had to be no larger than a Fiesta / Ibiza
Ability to accommodate four adults comfortably
Ability to take a baby seat in the back and an adult sitting in the front seat directly in front of the baby seat
Small but reasonably powerful and efficient engine
Automatic gearbox
Good drive for both me and my wife, whose car it is.

We had to wait the usual 5 months to get it and had to undergo the anxiety of a potential spec change and then the seatbelt and phone charger recalls. When we did get it, it was definitely worth the wait. This is a great little car. It ticks all the boxes above and looks pretty nice at the same time.

We have had a mixture of driving in the first 1,000 miles and the Arona has performed brilliantly in every situation. On the motorway it is quiet and refined. The engine is powerful enough to be able to cruise and then offers enough performance to overtake (even at higher speeds). On twisty country roads, the car feels agile and inspires confidence. In town, it is very manoeuvrable and dead easy to park. All this and the ride is comfortable too.

The car is a 'head turner' which I have found to be very flattering. Several people have already asked me what the car is and have commented that they had not seen one before and that it had a nice shape to it. One person was very excited to spot one on the road as he had ordered one himself and had been waiting a long time to get delivery. "Yes" I thought, "we've all been there and got the T-shirt".

We also enjoy the technology included in the car. It is smack bang up to date and a match for most cars at any price level. There is a lot to it and we have needed the help of 'technical support' in the shape of our 29 year old son, in order to get to grips with it all.

In order to provide a balanced review, there are one or two annoying little things which I have to mention:
The steering wheel is far too thin. Not good considering the FR has a chunkier wheel as standard.
There is no light in the back of the cabin.
A coat hook or two would also be good to have.
The inability to specify options on the car such as the upgraded stereo and heated seats, is annoying.

In all the above cases, we are willing to forgive as there are so many positives to this car.

Finally, I can completely understand people's frustration at the unduly long waiting times for delivery and the lack of constructive information from both the dealer network and Seat UK. This forum has been the most valuable source of information for us whilst we were waiting for ours. SEAT marketed a great little car at the start of the year and then messed it all up by not being able to fulfil the orders quickly enough.

My wife and I think this car is probably the best little crossover SUV currently available (we've tried most of the major contenders) at this price point. It has fulfilled all our criteria and we are loving this little car! For all of you out there waiting for yours, have patience, it will worth it in the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate the initial impressions. Have put in an order for a Xcellence Lux DSG 1.0 in Mystery Blue with a black roof, even amid the delays and spec changes (If I had to chose I prefer Beats Audio to the Alcantara trim).

I realised quite late, (after being frustrated with the lack of a standard or even optional Armrest, rear electric windows, blind spot monitor in the FR Ibiza) that the Arona in the Xcellence Lux trim is as close to the perfect spec for me it's going to get in this segment. If I'm lucky I might even get the virtual cockpit as standard if it's added to the model year 2019 Xcellence Lux spec.

It must be nice to have quite a rare car inadvertently because of the supply issues and I'm glad to hear you find the ride comfortable as I was a bit concerned the 18" wheels would suffer somewhat on bumps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very comprehensive review. Nice to have a positive thing to read. Had my car 6 weeks now no regrets but have yet to spot another Arona (maybe just unlucky) But may I say I'm getting well over 50mph on most trips after running in so I would advise all to do it, mph goes up from a good base. In conclusion I know waiting time is painful but it is worth it. I drive FR auto

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since ordering ours in January, I've only spotted 4 Aronas altogether. Two of those were on the same day in Leamington Spa. They are extremely rare which is why people are so curious to know what one is when they spot you on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts