Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound deadening I had ordered arrived today so I got about fitting it to the front doors and at the same time noticed the interior door handle once removed was ideal for wrapping in some carbon fibre wrap.

Apologies the sun made photographs difficult.

First of all I removed the door handle trim with car trim tool, just levers off and mirror/door switches also lever out. Both need a little bit of force but pop out quite easily. Remove to screws visible at the top and bottom of the interior door handle.

The work you away the bottom of the main door panel from the bottom, popping out the studs. Door then has to be pulled upwards to remove fully and interior door pull connector removed.

With the trim panel removed I went about adding sound proofing to the door card. I would of done the door itself but too many wires and window motor. As you can see from above picture. Also aids ease of access should anything need doing at a later date under warranty... Sticky mat does work better on metal to absorb vibrations, however SEAT seemed to have some sound absorption already so went with the door card to absorb sound/resonance as the hollow plastic door cards in my mind were a source of noise and vibration. I may well add bits of mat to the doors at a later date.

Next task was to wrap the door handle before refitting door card and door handle trim.

Overall result is a reduction in road noise and door car sounds more 'solid' when tapped and less likely to vibrate. I may add in some foam at a latter date.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DutchCourage said:
Nice work! Do you think the insulating the boot would make a difference as well? Lots of hollow spaces...
Thanks, I have the Beat's system which has extra soundproofing apparently sub is in the wheel well; so doubt it would make much difference on mine. On one without Beat's yes it would as you say lots of hollow spaces!! Mine seems pretty quiet from the rear.

Having been out for a longer drive tonight sound proofing has made the car much quieter - engine noise is the same but road noise and vibration from the door cards has been reduced to the point the Beat's system sound better. Going to look at what I can do in the engine bay next...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ive done the following in the engine bay already.
First was Silent coat sound deadening applied to the bonnet.
then over the top Silent coat Acoustic Barrier for under bonnet use., and sealed around with Aluminium tape.

IMG_1217.JPG

I have the boot area to do next, then work my way forward.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GazzaB said:
Ive done the following in the engine bay already.
First was Silent coat sound deadening applied to the bonnet.
then over the top Silent coat Acoustic Barrier for under bonnet use., and sealed around with Aluminium tape.

IMG_1217.JPG

I have the boot area to do next, then work my way forward.
Looks good! I have the usual standard OEM acoustic barrier under the bonnet being a derv and was wondering if it could be improved - but want to do rear doors next and add extra to the front door metal areas.

Has the bonnet sound proofing made much of a difference for your car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brilliant post! Those door handles look so much better! That was one thing that I really didn't like about the Arona in the showroom as you touch the handle every time you get in and out and it feels cheap. I can't help but think SEAT missed a trim piece where you grab as it's slightly indented to almost add an "accessory" at a later date... I think I'll give the wrapping a go in both front and back when I pick my FR Sport up in a few weeks, will probably go with gloss black to match the rest other black bits.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Bonnet sound proofing has made a small difference, of about 2-3dB.
Don't get the engine noise as loud in the cabin.

Will improve once the boot and doors have been done.

Also looking to put sound deadening and acoustic barrier under the carpets. But this will wait until the summer now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scotti290586 said:
Brilliant post! Those door handles look so much better! That was one thing that I really didn't like about the Arona in the showroom as you touch the handle every time you get in and out and it feels cheap. I can't help but think SEAT missed a trim piece where you grab as it's slightly indented to almost add an "accessory" at a later date... I think I'll give the wrapping a go in both front and back when I pick my FR Sport up in a few weeks, will probably go with gloss black to match the rest other black bits.
I thought the same, feel much nicer too for the £3 for the materials and an hours work with a hairdryer well worth it as does lift the interior as my only issue with my SE Lux trim is the vast amount of hard plastic. I went with carbon to match the upper door trim which is a fake carbon effect, gloss black was my other choice.

I have done the rears as well now and they are exactly the same part as the front doors - removal is the same as the front doors as well!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GazzaB said:
The Bonnet sound proofing has made a small difference, of about 2-3dB.
Don't get the engine noise as loud in the cabin.

Will improve once the boot and doors have been done.

Also looking to put sound deadening and acoustic barrier under the carpets. But this will wait until the summer now.
That is a decent drop in noise. I am waiting for my next lot of sound deadening material to come to finish off front doors (metal part on the top) and get rear doors done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The carbon wrapping looks fantastic

·
Registered
74 Posts
While you were in the doors did you notice any extra looms or connectors. Just wondering if us lesser mortals might be able to retrofit something to our lower spec models.
AIUI the looms go in early during the build and all the extras are fitted later, so often the wiring is in place even on the base models.
It was certainly the case, as I discovered, that I could have had heated wing mirrors on my Inca van as the wires were there and the replacement glass was the same price with or without the heater grid. I only found out after many years of wowning, when i smashed the glass in one and noticed the connector there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much re uploading.
So is it just those 2 screws on the handle and then just studs? No other screws?
I was thinking of wrapping the panels behind and above the handle. Do i have to remove the whole door panel?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Message for Cyberbob, I am about to fit sound deadening to the doors, I see you fitted yours to the door cards but every video I have seen on YouTube generally show it going to the door panel the card fits too. Any reason you chose your method?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts