Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out cleaning the car I noticed that on the black painted section of the wheels that some of the corners appear to have not been painted properly. I thought it was dirt at first as it looked slightly brown tinge in the corners but on closer inspection it looks as if the paint is too thin and not covered properly. I did take a picture but it hasn't come out very well. I could see it when the ☀ shone on it. Dealers are for g to have a look when it goes in for their increasingly squeaky clutch pedal. Might be worth a look when cleaning the wheels next. Not sure if the lux models will have the same issue as the wheels the same but the colour is different.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG-20180327-WA0013.jpg

I've had a play with the photo, it's not brilliant but the part the arrow is pointing at is the issue. The human eye picks up.much better than the camera on my phone van manage. If you have a decent light you would pick it up. It only appears to be on the triangle sections as opposed to the rectangle sections.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know when it goes in on the 9th. They've already said it'll be sorted. To be fair it wouldn't be too big a job to blow in some more paint. But I'll leave it to them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see how it goes and what they want to do. I'm only keeping it 12-18 months so selfishly I'm not to concerned in the long term. Probably have to wait months to get replacements anyway the amount of time it takes to get an actual car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as a quick update, due to the issues around sorting clutch pedal this has been put back to when it goes back in. They think it's going to have tango to the body shop so they can measure paint thickness on all the wheels.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right according to the dealers they have spoken to Seat who's reply is that
if you can't see the defect at a metre away then it's not a defect they will fix.
The dealer is not happy with this but can't get authorisation to proceed as it can't be seen from a metre. I will at some point get an independent inspection done and submit it to Seat UK. The way it's going this could well be my first and last Seat. The dealers to be fair have been very good so far though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That answer from Seat is ridiculous!! A defect is a defect, whether you can see from it a millimetre away or a mile away. I keep reading it and my jaw remains dropped. Please say you won't leave it at that. There's always the motoring press, if all else fails.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm beginning to think SEAT really don't care about their customers. Those wheels have a defect full stop. It really doesn't matter if you can see it or not.
We have already decided that after only 1 month of ownership, this will be the last SEAT we have. The quality is not a match on Skoda which is basically the same car but completely different in terms of quality.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to try a couple of local bodyshops to see if they are able to have a look and measure the paint thickness so I've got something to go back to seat with. I'm in the same boat at the moment, I like the way the car drives and looks but in my 10 weeks of ownership it has spent 8 days in the dealership. The clutch squeak, which has now been fixed, the small trim that kept falling off the parcel shelf, the wheel arch trim that's coming away and the parts on back order so don't know when that will be in but another trip to the dealers, still in front turning fogs and this wheel issue. Plus I'm still a bit miffed at how quickly the sill plastics are starting to get gravel rash. I have fitted genuine mudflaps all round in a hope this will reduce the damage. I don't know maybe I've just been unlucky or I'm being too picky. Everytime I deviate from Vw car I end up going back as everything else I have trouble with, the only thing I will say is the actual seat dealership have been really good and to their credit the customer service is better than the local vw dealer. I'll give it till its a year old and look at swapping it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too, am very picky about my cars. If the damn thing is brand new then it should fit together perfectly. They charge us the money for a brand new car so that is what we should all be getting. I have yet to pick up mine (due in the next week or so) but reading your piece will put me on my guard to make sure I inspect the car with a more critical eye.

I am a first time Seat owner and I have bought this car because it fits my wife's criteria perfectly. Given that Seat are part of the VW group, I would expect a certain quality product.

I will follow your experiences closely and will post anything here that helps everyone, once I've picked up the car. So far, the dealer's customer service has not been very good but I am grateful for the information I am picking up from this forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sent an email to Seat customer services last Thursday about this and heard nothing. So I have rang them and been told this will now be exalted to aftercare manger who will ring in the next day or 2. Apparently according to the first call they can't override the decision of the dealership if they have declined a warranty claim. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got a phone call from customer service manager about this. They have said seat UK don't usually get involved with issues with wheels due to being a wear and tear item?! He says it's been passed to sales manager at my supplying dealership who he will speak to on Monday and update me with the result.
Why do I have a feeling this is going to end up with a trip to the dealer for a "chat".

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've just noticed that my wheels have the same issues as yours Dolphin!

It definitely appears as if they have almost missed a bit of the wheel with the sprayer when they were painted, leaving a little gold coloured section in the same spot as yours.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that info Ollie I was starting to wonder how I was going to tip the scales in my favour, that will take the wind out their sales if they try blagging me with the 'wear and tear' crap. If your able report it to your dealer and seat customer services as there is clearly a manufacturing issue that isn't being picked up on. I can then also let seat and the dealers know it's not isolated to my car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I will be doing it tomorrow Dolphin when I go to the dealers to dispute the so called paint protection they "applied" to my car.

I only noticed it as I was giving the wheels a thorough clean as they were dirty(ish) when I collected the car a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mandaroo said:
I'm beginning to think SEAT really don't care about their customers. Those wheels have a defect full stop. It really doesn't matter if you can see it or not.
We have already decided that after only 1 month of ownership, this will be the last SEAT we have. The quality is not a match on Skoda which is basically the same car but completely different in terms of quality.
Agree ! I've handed back a fabia 15 plate that was amazing, this Arona is noticeably "cheaper quality" but before the keyboard warriors pounce on me it's not the sort of thing u notice on the test drive , but after 1300 miles I totally concur

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I am more concerned with the thickness of the exhaust valves , metaphorically speaking, or the plethora of proactive safety features, Driver tiredness sensors et al.

Other VAG offerings out there if you want to pay for what are largely decorative issues, if you plan to give the keys back in three to four years. If you know the VAG family 'grades' then buy accordingly. Pay more for a different VAG brand and you'll get thicker paint or even better soundproofing. Just not an Arona.

Lux seems not to really be a Seat strength with this new product , and is causing the most anger. Anyone exercised their right to reject and return?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts