Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gear change indicator on my Arona FR seems to work spasmodically. Sometimes it shows the gear I am in, sometimes it shows that I should change up or down. Mostly, it doesn't show anything. Does anyone know whether it is supposed to show the gear all the time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi OldGables
It sounds to me that it is working perfectly well. Change when it tells you to , to get the best mpg. I have the FR tsi 1.5 eco red with grey roof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Cello9
The problem is that it does not always say to change,especially in low gears and the current is not shown all the time. We have the FR 1.0 red with black roof.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine shows the gear you are in all the time, unless in neutral, reverse or the clutch is depressed. The gear change recommendation is a bit more hit and miss and I mostly ignore it anyway. It is good as a reminder to change into 6th when doing about 50 in 5th.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The question Is for me: WHY do we need a gear indicator.
Years ago when I first started driving we never had any of this. You knew what gear you were in as you had changed to it.
We listened to the engine, if it was screaming then change up, if it started to labour then change down. (Not that we ever let is get that far as we knew by the feel and sound of it when to change).
I drive the DSG version now so no need to check, but I do drive an old classic and this you have to listen to and REALLY drive it.

Are we all to much reliant of a computer telling us when to change gear now, that we cannot tell from how the car feels to select an appropriate gear.
You can get just as good fuel economy with out having to rely on gadgets to tell you how to drive, when to change gear, etc.

So my other question is : DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?
SO Just ignore it and drive the car and enjoy driving without worrying what the computers tells you, don't be a slave to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.