Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped in traffic jam the other day .My foot was off the clutch and car was in neutral, the handbrake was on, with the engine off as start stop was active.
Anyway the car in front of me moved away and the engine fired up on its own accord, without me having to put my foot on the clutch.
Stupid little thing I know, but I love it :D :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honeybear,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but see page 197 of the current Arona on line owners manual which lists the reasons for self starting, such as a interior temperature different to that set on the air con, low battery, brake pedal pressed several times etc.

No mention of any link to the radar system I am afraid, you must just have been lucky!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have thought it happened to me too, although my foot was firmly on the brake pedal. I tested it a few times and realised that my foot pressure eased a tiny, tiny, amount before I released the pedal, which was enough to start the engine. I did think it happened with the hand brake on once but dismissed it as co-incidence. I will now try to recreate that situation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe that on cars with ACC, the sensor sees the car in front move off and starts the engine in anticipation of wanting to move off. Happens with me all the time, very handy until you get to the front of a queue and need to pull out quickly, I tend to switch the stop/start off then as the extra delay can make things a bit tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is no coincidence .Before I posted I checked the start stop in traffic for a week as I thought it just may be something else, But no, every time the car in front moved away the Arona's engine started. I think its great.

·
Registered
538 Posts
honeybear said:
It is no coincidence .Before I posted I checked the start stop in traffic for a week as I thought it just may be something else, But no, every time the car in front moved away the Arona's engine started. I think its great.
I discovered this by accident, then discovered if you tap the info box that appears at top in the grey start/stop message on the infotainment screen it actually pops up a message that car in front moved off.

There are other messages at other times, when I'm bored at red traffic lights have tried it, think I have seen 4 or 5 different messages now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tried the infotainment to day when I was stuck in traffic and yes when the car in front moved off .I had a display "Car in front moved off.
Are there any more of these little gems?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've noticed this in mine too and, with the ACC on and the DSG transmission the car also moves off by itself once traffic starts moving again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
honeybear said:
tried the infotainment to day when I was stuck in traffic and yes when the car in front moved off .I had a display "Car in front moved off.
Are there any more of these little gems?
I actually got 2 messages when I tapped the info box on the grey bar, on the frosty morning, one that cabin was too cold, the other that the demisting (actually the heated rear window) was in use so start stop not available

I have had one on hot day couple of months ago saying climate control needs engine running

·
Registered
20 Posts
What I've noticed is that with acc active with the dsg gearbox when acc brings the car to a complete stop the cluster briefly displays "acc ready to start ". After a couple of seconds it then goes on to show an instruction to brake.

If you hit the brakes while the first message is displayed the acc icon remains green and the car sets off again automatically when traffic in front moves off. If you miss that message and hit the brakes when it tells you to the acc goes back into standby mode and you have to tell it to start again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts