Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to change our car and I have always wanted an SUV.

The garage have an unbelievable deal on Arona 1.6 Diesel Lux. Never had a diesel before and unsure of whether to go for it, seems too good to be true.

Plus we don't do lot long drives and read today that diesels not good for general use?

Any advice for virgin deiselers!!
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosyposy said:
We have decided to change our car and I have always wanted an SUV.

The garage have an unbelievable deal on Arona 1.6 Diesel Lux. Never had a diesel before and unsure of whether to go for it, seems too good to be true.

Plus we don't do lot long drives and read today that diesels not good for general use?

Any advice for virgin deiselers!!
Thanks
We just went for an Arona SE Tech Lux due to the deal's on offer. Car is spot on spec wise. With 0% finance and a residual that was much higher than the petrol variants although SE Lux is a diesel only spec. Made it a very good deal overall and diesels have hit the bottom. You will see a slow rise never like before bit as the media bashing stops and government have already realised Euro 6.2 dervs give out less Co2 than a petrol engine and with AddBlue Nox levels are very low. Have a part to play keeping Co2 levels down. The real issue still is and has been particulate matter from tires and brakes. Even petrol engines are now being fitted with a GPF to meet WLTP requirements from Sept.

As for the diesel the 1.6 115 is the newer EA288 lump and is quite sprightly in the Arona. I am no real diesel fan and came from a 1.2 TSi Leon and the engine suits the car very well. Gives nicely weighted steering and a more solid feel to the front end due to the extra weight. Economy is excellent, on a no traffic 40-50 mph run I can see high 60's mpg wise and a motorway run is around low 50's and this is without the car being run in. Only extra to be aware of is having to add 10L of AddBlue every 4000 miles.

It all depends on the journeys you do, the DPF needs regeneration after around 300 miles which means above 40 mph for at least 15 mins. If you never do that then you will run into DPF issues. I commute a 180 mile round trip a couple of times a month so the diesel Arona was a no brainer over the petrol Leon I had. I take it you have test drove the diesel? As it is noiser and not quite as smooth as a petrol, but still quite well isolated overall in the Arona. Overall very happy I went for the diesel in the end.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The new generation diesels are fitted with complicated emissions equipment which includes a diesel particulate filter (DPF), this will clog and cause problems if you only do local journeys.

You really need to be doing a journey of at least 30 mins (40 mins from cold in winter) to enable a regeneration, during this process need to keep exhaust hot (so no gentle running in high gear), as already stated at least 40mph for 15 min once engine fully warmed up.

During a regeneration fuel consumption is probably going to be nearer 20mpg (there is no regeneration on official mpg test). Some people suggest that you should use super diesel to help keep valves clean, and avoid problems with EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) sensors and valves.

Remember modern diesels are no longer the simple bulletproof engines of decade ago, any problems with these parts can be hundred of pounds to fix.

If you do at least one long run every 10-15 use, then diesel is sensible (if you do high mileage), if not avoid it like the plague. There is not much difference in real world fuel consumption between the petrol and diesel, as as diesel normally costs more to buy, tend to need to do 20,000+ miles per year to justify extra cost.

There is a reason those good deals are out there, diesels in small cars don't sell well as only a small percentage can guarantee the regular DPF regeneration journey. If the DPF clogs expect £100+ each time to sort it (plus the hassle of getting it to a dealer).

In UK only 31% of new car sales are diesel, and most of those diesels are vehicles bigger than Arona size. The good deals on the diesel Arona is because they are available as sales are slow so there is stock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Snowdaddy said:
During a regeneration fuel consumption is probably going to be nearer 20mpg (there is no regeneration on official mpg test). Some people suggest that you should use super diesel to help keep valves clean, and avoid problems with EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) sensors and valves.
I saw my mpg drop to 35 mpg during my first regen at just over 300 miles. Dropped for usual 15 mins. On the next drive hit usual high 50. Overall I have found the derv about 10 mpg better than my petrol 1.2 TSi which overall still has slightly better mpg than the newer 1 litre TSi 115 from those who have had both in various VAG models like SEAT Toledo and Skoda Octavia.

We have had our derv Tiguan for just under three years without any issue - it is the Euro 6, 2 litre EA288 engine, same as the Arona just slightly bigger turbo, bore/stroke and fitted with balancer shafts. It has never missed a beat and has been the most reliable car we have ever owned. It was another reason I was happy to go for the derv Arona. Then the fact the 115 petrol was another £40 a month more due to weaker residual and higher APR. SE Lux Tech was £20 a month less than the FR 115 diesel for a few bits like heated seats and ACC I do make good use of. Beats sound system was a nice bonus and is really good. Sad, that it is now only available on the SE Tech Lux to the not so easy, 'Easy Option' to reduce customer wait times.

I always say test drive both and see which suits you best, although petrol wise you are limited to 95 TSi or 95 TDi in SE Tech and 115 kicks in from FR and above. SE Tech Lux was designed as a fleet choice and I will also make the assumption SEAT UK has to order a certain amount of diesel models??? However, it is interesting to note that the T Roc has just had the same Euro 6.2, 1.6 EA88 115 to the range, so there must be some form of small demand. This means later on that small demand will in theory preserve residuals, as a dealer manager, friend has told me of a surge in demand for 3 year old diesels especially Euro 6??? Go figure....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The times when you had to take your diesel for a highway drive to regenerate your DPF have gone forever...

In VAG cars, the soot burning procedure in the DPF (regeneration) is surprisingly intelligent and does not pose any problems even on short routes. Automatic regeneration starts when soot mass reaches a value of approx. 24 g. Then DPF heats up to 600-700 °C and begins to burn soot to a level of approx. 4-6 g. Interestingly, this process can start just after starting the engine and at low speeds or even when stationary, and it takes approx. 10-15 minutes. If the engine is shut down and the process interrupted, nothing bad will happen - it is easy to recognize such situations when after leaving the car the fan is still running at full speed - it cools the engine and turbo which are responsible for initiating conditions favorable for burning the soot, i.e. high temperature. After restarting the engine, the process is resumed until the soot is burnt to a proper level.

Therefore, it is unnecessary to drive your modern diesel car on the motorway at a constant speed, in 4th gear, at 3000 rpm to burn out the DPF, like old diesels before.

So, how do I know all this? From my own experience, observation and monitoring the engine data thru OBD interface.

I have 12km to work, which takes me about 15 minutes with an average speed of 30-40 km/h. Initially, I was afraid that commuting to work on such short distances would kill the particulate filter. My fear turned out to be unjustified - DPF can carry out the whole regeneration process even during such a short route. I used to monitor the (calculated) mass of soot, temperatutes and burning process by the OBDeleven application.

Below please find the screen shots showing two situations:
1. normal driving
2. DPF regeneration

Hence, fear not the diesel cars and short journeys...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you... having thought about our local drives we live near A1/A19 and lot dual carriageways so it'll get a decent ride a lot of days anyway.. my hubby said well the way you drive it'll have no choice... cheek!
I have driven it and definitely had more about it than my Ibiza.
The exceptional deal is a no brainer really.. don't think I could get a top spec car again for this offer.
My other option is a Leon... and I've had one before and it's not an SUV which is what I want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have come from a facelift Leon and yes the Leon had more soft touch plastic, posher door cards, air vents and two USB's in the back. It was not as much fun to drive as the Arona or IMO as nice to look at. Edge on handling but Arona copes with our awful pot holed roads better!

The deal on them is too good to turn down and for a derv offers a pretty lively drive. Enjoy it and won't be long till you are driving it. What colour are you having?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White .. llove white cars!
Think I'll be sat in it learning all the bits for a good few days.. not sure I'll need them all!! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 1.6 tdi is just perfect for the arona. Ours (fr orange, with grey roof) is 2 months old, with 4000 kms, and its consumption is (measured) 5.1 l/100kms. Its just great. We use it 30-40-30% in city/ country roads/highways. Its very beefy, with plenty of omph though below 1500 rpm (although you can use it) you should not expect fast reaction for turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What deal were you offered Rosyposy?

I'm currently weighing up a new Tech Lux or factory ordering an FR TDi. I've looked high and low but can't fine any diesel FR models in stock which sucks, I don't want to wait months and months!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get it on Pcp, 0% finance, extra money for deposit, 500 to test drive, 250 voucher I had from seat online for looking it pops up with code to give to garage.
With our car in and this over 4 years out is about £200 month.
The Ibiza was 160 so... No brainer!
It's a 1.6 tdi xcellence lux ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes that's similar to the deal I have been offered, just a shame I can't find any FR models in stock anywhere so it's looking like I will have to order a band new build :( wanted a new car for the summer haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I'm an ecstatic owner of an Arona diesel. I'm getting just over 50 MPG after 1000 miles. Oddly the fuel consumption is as good around town (regardless of traffic conditions) as in the country or on motorways. This I think is partly because it's a diesel and partly because of the auto stop which you MUST get used to using. Of course it's slightly heavier and this may be why it wallows about slightly when we are four up on a bad country road. It's quick off the mark and pretty quick accelerating on the motorway due to the torque a diesel has. Go for it and I don't think you'll be disappointed

·
Registered
148 Posts
btfree said:
What deal were you offered Rosyposy?

I'm currently weighing up a new Tech Lux or factory ordering an FR TDi. I've looked high and low but can't fine any diesel FR models in stock which sucks, I don't want to wait months and months!
If it helps FR works out pretty much £20 more a month, regardless of discount. I got offered great deals on both but the ACC and Beats audio mattered more than having climate control.

There are deals out there for £200 and £200 a month on a SE Lux but you can chip away further than that if a dealer is willing to discount. I was lucky in finding a stock car in June and a dealer with registrations to meet so sold me the car at pretty much cost price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

My 1,6 tdi 95hp Arona goes through the following since this morning:

1.cooling fan open even though the engine temp is at 50C
2.idle at 950rpm (normally is 750)
3. And engine sounds different.

Does this mean that is at dpf regeneration process?
Shouldn't there be a light in the dash to let me know that is regenerating?

Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
alumaster said:
Hi guys,

My 1,6 tdi 95hp Arona goes through the following since this morning:

1.cooling fan open even though the engine temp is at 50C
2.idle at 950rpm (normally is 750)
3. And engine sounds different.

Does this mean that is at dpf regeneration process?
Shouldn't there be a light in the dash to let me know that is regenerating?

Thanks
What was outside temperature. The fast idle is usually a few minutes if there is a heating load on engine as trying to warm the car interior, or some electric heaters were on (rear window, mirrors, seats), so needed more alternator output.

Shouldn't start a DPF regen whilst idling, has to be fully warmed up to commence one, but if it has started one and you come to a stand then it has to do something

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't using any electrical power.
The weather was good, 20C

The seat dealer told me that was regeneration, but i don't know...

When regenerating is there a light in the dash?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts