Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This penny saving Seat omission was making me a bit frustrated when I needed to search someting in the back seats. The glued to the roof chinese led lamps were never a good nor practical solution, so with a little bit if time left I've decided to get my hands dirty.
So I ordered this VW light with the harness and metal frame included (which will be necessary due to headliner composition and thickness).
Microphone Electronic instrument Telephony Audio equipment Mobile phone

Than I carefully took all the measurements and bravely cut the headliner.
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font Beige

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

A round tip decent wire was used to drive the wiring from back to front (There are two foam blocks above front row seat, first one I went above it and the second one is just small enough to go around it. It's easier than we imagine.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Motor vehicle

Now a bit of wiring soldering and insulation.
Wood Asphalt Road surface Gas Electrical wiring

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

I used a Osram 1w led bulb because I didn't want too much heat in all that white insulator above. I'me pretty happy with the outcome, all works as it should (on,off,door) too bad the light is not black, maybe I paint it some other day.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover

Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fixture

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Comfort Motor vehicle Automotive design

Registered
Brave man Sc. I didn't realise the headlining is backed with spongy material so that wires could be forced through behind it. So well done you.
Could you explain a little more what you did to connect the new wiring into the existing wiring harness arrangements above the original front seat lighting unit?

Registered
Thanks for your clarification. I think I understand now but just to double check - your previous photo taken of the wiring and connector on a tiled surface (floor?) is a photo of the connector which will plug into the new light fitting? It's just that the connector's wire colours seem to be different from those on the connector when it is shown hanging down from the new fitting?

I do like your clever idea and am considering giving it a go.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your clarification. I think I understand now but just to double check - your previous photo taken of the wiring and connector on a tiled surface (floor?) is a photo of the connector which will plug into the new light fitting? It's just that the connector's wire colours seem to be different from those on the connector when it is shown hanging down from the new fitting?

I do like your clever idea and am considering giving it a go.
You are right, although the colors from both connector are the same (blue, brown and red) the order inside the connectors is diferent.
Red is 12v, brown is door switches and blue is permanent negative.
I used a multimeter to check what I was doing.
By the way, the second set of hanging wires is from the microfone. You don't want to mess with those.馃榾

1 - 7 of 7 Posts