Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion pressing the start up button the engine fails to start. It just makes a strange cranking / juddering sound. On one occasion when stopped at traffic lights on a busy island it auto stopped but when required to restart it did the same problem. Switching off and switching on clears the issue and the engine restarts.
Can anyone help with this issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like your starter motor is knackered, possibly where the gear teeth engage with the starter ring on the flywheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is at least one thread on here that covers this issue.
It happens when the engine is warm and restarted after a short interval.
That said I havn`t read or experienced it happening on the autostop.
( My autostop rarely works as the battery has to be fully charged )
Had mine checked at the dealer but they wern`t much help
The way to avoid it happening is to give a short , sharp press of the button rather than a leisurely push.Had mine checked
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This has been happening to me for the past year, about 15 times. Its as if there is a sensor stopping the spark. Went in for its 3rd year service last month and the dealer changed the key battery for an expensive £5, Seat one saying that was the problem, after 3 weeks, the fault has happened again, the car is now out of warrantee.

It has been logged with the dealer and am waiting to see where it goes from here, of course it didn't show the fault when in having its service and there were no fault codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hiboost said:
Sounds like your starter motor is knackered, possibly where the gear teeth engage with the starter ring on the flywheel.
I think this a problem that is going to become common everywhere before long with this stop/start rubbish. We'll save a cupful of petrol a year, at the expense of a couple of starter motors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do what I do, turn it off every time you first start the car, starter motors are expensive and last for years when used a few times a day, but every few minutes??

·
Registered
9 Posts
My previous car was a VW Polo Bluemotion which is their version of stop start. After using it for two years and one month my battery failed. Of course the warranty on the battery was for two years. After replacing the battery for stupid money (€180) I stopped using the system and I’ve never used it on my Arona.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My mates Citroen C4 Licasso had the system, starter motor and alternator were a single unit, almost £900 to replace when it failed. I don’t know what type of starter motor is fitted to our cars, but I will find out. Meanwhile stop/start is OFF. Save your starter motor and battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts