Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes (and dudettes) !

I'm going to replace the interior lighting in my Arona Style with LED's. There are already LED's in the front footwells but the interior lights in the roof between driver side and passenger is not. And there is no LED in the boot either.

First; how do I remove the plastic covering the lights in the roof and in the boot ? There's no instruction in the manual and I cant find a slot for a small screwdriver. I dont want to bend the plastic in the wrong places.

Second; what kind of LED bulb is it ? I cant find this in the manual either, the manual really sucks. Has anyone of you guys switched to LED and if so - how did you do it ? Any pics or info will be greatly appreciated.

/Monmouth

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi
Not sure were the Style fits into the UK spec The UK has SE then FR and excellence
The SE has three Interior light standard bulbs and can be changed to Leds
Page 100 fig 112 shows this

The FR and above have two bulbs in housing that has the alarm sensors and have not seen any instruction's in getting this off as want to change mine

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brian566 said:
The FR and above have two bulbs in housing that has the alarm sensors and have not seen any instruction's in getting this off as want to change mine
EDITED

There are 3 versions of the interior light on the Arona - "Low", "Mid" and "High".

This is for High (FR/Xcellence)... You basically just pry off the main panel (with the lights) and pull out the bulbs.

This is for the boot light (all models)...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for the pictures makes it clear how to do it

·
Registered
108 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I couldn't pry off the middle panel (the green highlighted panel in the 1st image). It unclipped at the edges but seemed to be well secured in the middle. I gave up in the end as I didn't want to risk snapping the panel.

I'm using the correct shaped/sized trim tool, so you would think it would come off easily, but it just won't budge.

Hoping someone else has more luck and can tell me how to do it. The SEAT tech docs just say "pry it off" - very useful.

EDITED - I was doing it wrong. I have updated the diagrams and instructions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
BenC said:
Let me know how it goes. I couldn't pry off the middle panel (the green highlighted panel in the 1st image). It unclipped at the edges but seemed to be well secured in the middle. I gave up in the end as I didn't want to risk snapping the panel.

I'm using the correct shaped/sized trim tool, so you would think it would come off easily, but it just won't budge.

Hoping someone else has more luck and can tell me how to do it. The SEAT tech docs just say "pry it off" - very useful.
Glad you are the First to try and was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are their and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong

·
Registered
420 Posts
Brian566 said:
BenC said:

Glad you are the First to try and I was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are in there and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brian566 said:
Glad you are the First to try and was a bit worried about breaking it but did not have the correct trim tool only a cheap plastic one the Alarm sensors are their and maybe the heating temperature sensor so its a expensive job if it goes wrong
I'm an idiot! I was doing it completely wrong. You don't remove the first two panels (that's only if you wish to remove the entire fitting). You only need to pry off the light panel itself in order to change the bulbs. It's super simple.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here are some more pictures...

It looks like the factory is using blue coated bulbs to try to create a whiter light. If they wanted a whiter light, then using an LED in the first place would have made a lot more sense. LEDs are now on order (220 lumens vs the current <50 lumens).

I will post another update once they arrive and are installed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
LED interior and boot lights have now been installed. The light output is much improved and I would recommend the upgrade. It also helps to illuminate the rear a little.

For those interested, the bulb type is W5W (at least on the Xcellence Lux). I first tried Halfords LED bulbs but they were absolutely huge and didn't fit.

I then came across these from AutoBulbsDirect - they are pretty much the same size as the originals, so slotted in very nicely (and are somehow brighter than the Halfords ones, despite being much smaller).

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-twenty20-cree-led-12v-w5w-canbus-wedge-bulb.html

I will post some pictures on the weekend. Next on the to-do list is LED reverse, rear indicators and front fogs.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brian566 said:
Thank for all Info ben
Trim tool arrived popped it off in 2 minutes as you said Bought two LED bulbs of e bay just to try works perfect No flicker as yet and fade off works OK
But may fit the Cree ones that you fitted later

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-WHITE-5-SMD-501-T10-W5W-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-LED-SIDELIGHTS-HIGH-POWER-UK/312185526101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=610853524038&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
No problem. I now have LED reverse (1 x P21W) and LED rear indicators (2 x PY21W) on order with ABD.

I noticed you have posted before about replacing your front fog lights, what bulb type did you use?

The manual doesn't give any bulb type info for the fogs, various lookup tools are saying "H3", but some threads on here say "H7"... no idea which to believe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Putting in LED front fogs would be awesome; but as mentioned - are they H3 or H7 ? And mounting the front fogs apart seems to be difficult, just as on the Ateca. BenC, if you continue with this it would be awesome if you documented it so we can create a DIY-guide.

I'll start with the boot to begin with, following with the front interior lights (which looks a bit different in my Arona Style compared with the pictures in this thread).

Thanks for all the info BenC and others !

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the foglamps are HB3 or HB4 there is a little difference in diameter , I have to take one out first to know for sure.
I'm thinking of buying a LED set and have the corneringlights turned on again.
(because it's full led , the corneringlightfunction is turned off)

I already ordered LED amber indicator bulbs @ rear and a white reversing LED bulb.
Also a new LED bulb for the boot, I think they will fit the interior lights too
I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
420 Posts
BenC said:
Brian566 said:
Thank for all Info ben
Trim tool arrived popped it off in 2 minutes as you said Bought two LED bulbs of e bay just to try works perfect No flicker as yet and fade off works OK
But may fit the Cree ones that you fitted later

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-WHITE-5-SMD-501-T10-W5W-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-LED-SIDELIGHTS-HIGH-POWER-UK/312185526101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=610853524038&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
No problem. I now have LED reverse (1 x P21W) and LED rear indicators (2 x PY21W) on order with ABD.

I noticed you have posted before about replacing your front fog lights, what bulb type did you use?

The manual doesn't give any bulb type info for the fogs, various lookup tools are saying "H3", but some threads on here say "H7"... no idea which to believe.
I did not change them as i broke the trim trying getting the foglight trim is the hard part i posted a link to getting it off the Fr does not have the slot as shown in the manual

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've just ordered 2 interior LED's and one for the boot from ABD as recommended by BenC.
I'll be intrested in your experiance when you change the rear indicators to see if you get the "hyper flashing" issue.(Its were the led's flash quicker due to drawing less power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
alandl said:
I've just ordered 2 interior LED's and one for the boot from ABD as recommended by BenC.
I'll be intrested in your experiance when you change the rear indicators to see if you get the "hyper flashing" issue.(Its were the led's flash quicker due to drawing less power.
I decided to go with these, specifically because one of the reviews is from an Arona owner and mentions hyper-flashing.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/581-twenty20-cree-led-12v-py21w-canbus-amber-bayonet-bulb.html

The review provides some reassurance...

"It works perfectly with Seat Arona. Rear direction light has been replaced and it did not generate any Can-Bus error message. The blinking frequency has been slightly increased from 74 to 80 /min. but it is still perfect. The brightness is increased but it is not too bright. The light fully fills the lamp. So all in all it is perfect so far. "

Hopefully my experience will be the same as this. I will let you know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dudes !

I've now replaced the bulbs in the roof. You start with gently prying along the red line I've marked in this photo. Make sure you pry between the clear plastic cover and the grey lamp holder. If you pry longer in, the entire lamp holder is in risk of being damaged or get loose.

Somehow the LED in the middle decided not to work. But I don't know, I think I'll leave it like this. It looks nice :)

I did replace the bulb in the boot with a LED. So now everything in the interior is LED since the lamps in the footwell on drivers and passengerside were already LED from the factory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, so I just did some night time driving with the car and the new LED bulbs makes that much a difference; they're alot more powerful and I prefer the cool, xenonlike shine. One thing bothers me though; when the ignition is turned off and the car is locked the LED's in the roof are still dimly lit - it is barely noticeable, but they're not entirely off. I've done some googeling and as far as I can understand this is quite common, easily rectified with some sort of resistor and there's no risk of battery drainage. I really don't mind - you can hardly notice the dimly lit LED's in the dark. It's only if you look very closely in the dark that you can see that they're not completely off. However, there are two questions I fail to find an answer too. 1) Does this affect the lifetime of the LED bulbs ? And 2) Does this affect the car ? Is it harmful in any way ?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts