Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, sorry for all the recent questions, just trying to get my bearings with the new motor :)

I'm looking at the 205/55r17 91V Hankook Ventus Prime 3 on the car and they are all original from 2018 and id say they could do with changing soon.

Any recommendations at all please? Was thinking Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 as I had those on my Renault Captur and they were good but know different cars handle differently with the same tyres.

Did ponder getting genuine 18" wheels with tyres but actually I'd rather not have a diamond polished edge and am quite happy with the silver alloy wheels.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Good news is the 17 inch tyres are a very common size, and there is huge choice

There are 2 main considerations: seasonality; and comfort vs sportiness

Firstly seasonality, all cars come with summer tyres (they work well at WLTP test temperature on which emissions are based, which I think is +23c), but the average day and night temperature in UK is much lower. Basically they won’t work (grip poorly as go hard when cold), some brands don’t even like cold rain (below about +10c). There are 2 solutions, either switch to winter wheels and tyres November - March or fit all year (all season) tyres. What is often not realised is that since all season tyres have been introduced (over last 5 years), many summer tyres have been reconfigured to be better at more summer like temperatures (and are consequently lot worse than they used to be in UK winter

The second consideration is if you want sportiness or comfort as a priority. Basically tyres come in multiple grades, sporty tyres are firmer, with stiffer sidewalls for those that want sharp cornering on winding roads, comfort tyres are softer and will not jolt as much when you hit ruts and potholes on poor road surfaces. Anything marked Eco tends to be very firm to save fuel (that is firm at +23c), and goes almost like one of those solid tyres you see on photos of 1920s trucks) when they are cold (If you don’t believe me try prodding one on a cold day, it will be almost rigid).

The Hankook ventus prime 3 and Goodyear efficient grip 2 are both very good general summer tyres, but like all summer tyres they will be be poor in cold rain, frost etc and hopeless on the rare days of sleet, snow. Great for cruising to your summer holiday villa in high summer, not desirable on a cold damp winters day.

Personally I would get all season tyres, as they are best for UK climate, and you will really notice the difference when you hit a patch of muddy field run off on a cold morning, or patch of frost, as car will drive through rather than getting skittish (or letting go and allowing you to slide into a ditch/hedge). It will also allow you to drive home if it snows rather than leaving you stranded at first incline. Look at Hankook kinergy 4S2 or Michelin cross climate 2 or Goodyear vector 4 season generation 3 or Continental all season contact or Vredestein Quattrac. (without knowing your local topography or location I won’t attempt to rank them, and prices which go up and down might also affect your preferenc).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your time with your response. That's given me a lot to think about. The Arona is not a performance vehicle so comfort and safety would be higher on the agenda than having a tyre that shaves off seconds on a racing lap :) I'm 42 but drive like a 80 year old basically. I

Never considered All Season tyres before. Usually have ventured good brand summer tyres and have out up with their handling characteristics from there.

Location wise I'm in South East Kent with no major hills near by to cause issues in bad weather. My commute to work is mainly flat.

I have noticed the majority of all season tyres are 95 weight rated (reinforced) instead of the current 91 rating. I'm just a bit unsure about making the wheels a harder ride.

I'll give it all some thought. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
@Incy

A higher load rating will make them stiffer (but see next paragraph), but the 17 inch tyre size is so common, that some brands actually produce 2 different load ratings in that size. Remember you can go up, but should never fit a number below original load rating. On another note I believe you can legally come down one speed rating on any tyres rated for winter (that have the 3 peak mountain and snowflake 3PMSF symbol) on them (and good all seasons have 3PMSF symbol)

However all season tyres tend to be softer than summer tyres in cold weather, so on colder days even a 95 all season is softer than a 91 summer tyre. (Just go and prod your summer tyre on a cold morning, you will find it almost rigid. Then try it after your commute when tyre is warmed up, feel the difference)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before I bought my 2019 Arona I owned a couple of Mitsubishi ASXs and I had spare set of winter wheels and tyres in my garage as I live in a rural village that can be quite badly affected by snow - this may not be such a problem for your location. This was fine when I was working and it gave me peace of mind when trying to get to work but obviously it was an extra expense. By the time I bought the Arona I had taken early retirement so there wasn't the same pressure to venture out in bad weather on a daily basis but I still wanted something more capable than the summer Continentals that came with the car. I went for a full set of Goodyear Vector 4 all season tyres and sold the Continentals on Gumtree. I find them to be very good and can barely tell the difference between them and the Contis they replaced and I still have the assurance that they perform better in cold weather, albeit not as good as the dedicated full winter tyres I had before. Asking advice on tyres is very much a subjective topic as one man's glowing recommendation is another man's dud! The one slight downside to winter or all-season tyres is they are made of a softer compound rubber and will tend to wear out slightly quicker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a new Arona Experience lux last October but really didn't like the wheels it came with so bought a set of 17" wheels, had them refurbed and after a bit of research went for a set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance . I found a website that had them for a very good price (£329 delivered). It was only after ordering from the British website that I realised they were coming from Germany. They only took a week to arrive and I got a local garage to fit them. Been on the car a couple of thousand miles and I've had no issues at all. Nice and quiet, good ride and grip. I've used them in the cold and wet here in Suffolk and on the hills of Wales when visiting family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts