Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one week old FR Sport 1.0 115ps is causing me some serious concerns. The engine when starting from cold is extremely noisy - sounding like a handful of nails rattling around in a metal bucket!

I've put up a video of the problem with a short written description at www.tinyurl.com/enginesick

The cold start problem is in the clips up to 3:25. The latter are of the engine after a 10 minute drive to get everything up to working temperature, afet which everything sounds normal - I think.

My concerns are the fact that my purchase was from a distant location, using griffintaxfree.com, who are based near Brighton and who in turn sourced the vehicle from A SEAT main dealer (Hendy) in Brighton who were responsible for the PDI and delivery to Griffin from who I collected the vehicle. So it's not a question of just popping in for a chat with the supplier!

I wonder how complicated it will become (assuming there is a major problem) either in getting the vehicle fixed (presumably this will be my local dealer), or if I decide to reject the vehicle within the 30 days allowed if the vehicle is not of satisfactory quality. Who takes responsibility and sorts out the return? My local dealer to whom I am taking the vehicle tomorrow for examination, or the original supplier(s) down in Brighton? The clock is ticking so my anxiety levels grow :?

Anybody any views? (Preferably of the reassuring kind! :cry: )

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi
It definitely sounds more noisy than mine I would call in at your nearest Seat Dealer ASP to ask them to check it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the FR with the same engine bought last Friday and since then I've done 450 miles. So far I've found that from inside the car, the engine is so quiet on starting that I'm tending to rely on the tacho to know that the engine has started. If the radio is on I literally cannot hear it start. That said, I've never listened outside the car with the bonnet up. Sometimes video recording can exaggerate the noise, especially making it sound more tinny in nature. Yours does sound a lot noisier than I'd expect but tomorrow I'll do the same - video with the bonnet up from cold and then play the video back and listen to that. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure other people will probably do the same. These modern petrol 3 cylinder injected engines do sound a bit different to what we are used to.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound right to me. As mentioned previous, I would get that to a dealer ASAP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Crista and others - Thanks for some prompt feedback. It might have been better if I'd started the video with the bonnet and doors closed so others could compare - I'll try tomorrow. However I can assure you that the noise is still very much in evidence even in those circumstances. Once warm there is no noise inside - the engine is whisper quiet. Would very much appreciate it if others have the time to test similarly, and any further comments are very welcome. My thanks to all :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is not right without a doubt, something is rattling or rubbing there like an exhaust shield. Things expand with heat and may stop whatever is causing the rattle, even a loose bolt!

Needs booking in ASAP. Local dealer will sort as your warranty is national and warranty work goes via SEAT UK anyhow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So this morning I started my Tsi 115 from cold with the bonnet up. It sounded like exactly as I would expect - no unusual noises. After about 30 seconds it slowed down and was even quieter. I video'd both phases and although it still sounded normal, the phones microphone had emphasised the tiinniness of the higher frequency sounds - different to hearing with just my ears. I do wonder, whether, depending on what phone you are using, that could be what is happening, but more so. Play safe and let your Seat Dealer have a listen but there may well be nothing wrong at all. If you want I can send you my videos.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Crista - Thanks for the update. I agree the recorded sound makes things sound more tinny. However I would say that in my case this means some of the lower frequency noise is lost. My engine only sounds "normal" once warm as in the latter part of the video. As others have said their's are "normal" right form the word go!

Car is booked in to local SEAT dealer later today. They want to keep it overnight and cold start it in the morning once I arrive there by the dreaded local transport so we can both hear what it sounds like on the day - removes any conflict about who hears what!

If it is possible for you to give me access to your videos I would be very grateful. A comparison would be further evidence (or not) of a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crista has now kindly provided me with the two recordings he made. The cold start recording sounds much different to my ears to the one I made - ie his engine is quiet! I'll be taking this over to my local SEAT dealer tomorrow for comment (and ammunition on my part!).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Together with the SEAT Technician we started the car from cold. The engine promptly fired up in a very noisy fashion. The technician used a stethoscope (I used to use a long wooden handled screwdriver :) ) to listen to various parts of the engine. He agreed that the engine was unusually noisy but didn't think there was anything wrong internally. His initial view is that there is a problem within the high pressure fuel system as that was where he was hearing the most obvious signs of disharmony (bring back carburettors I say :oops: ), but cannot be sure.

The car is back with me with assurances that it is safe to drive and is booked back in for detailed diagnostics on Monday 18th March. They could look at it earlier but that's the soonest they can provide me with a courtesy car.

At this stage I'm just pleased that it is recognised that there is a problem and that it will be investigated. I'm minded to wait until SEAT have had a chance to diagnose further before initiating any action to reject the car. However I will do so if I'm not happy with progress. I have 30 days from the date I collected the car (5th March) so still time to escalate if required. I think the biggest problem will be to diagnose the fault before it goes away as the engine warms up - maybe 5 minutes or so at most!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It certainly sounds external rather than internal and something like fuel pressure doesn't sound unreasonable. Good that they have taken you seriously - hopefully it will be a simple adjustment or or component replacement with a happy ending ay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have now logged the problem with Customer Services and received a Case Number for ongoing reference. I didn't expect them to do anything at this stage, but just wanted to ensure that the problem was on their system in case I need to take it further. I advised that I wanted the problem identified and fixed to my satisfaction or would seek to reject the car. They acknowledged that they had logged this for me. Just waiting now for a diagnosis next Monday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Subject to me starting the engine from cold tomorrow to confirm things, the problem has been fixed. Apparently the problem was with a metal dust cover on the flywheel which was making contact with part of the starter motor. A slight adjustment to the starter motor position and the problem disappeared. The Service Manager agreed that the problem had existed right from when the car was built, so zero brownie points to quality control at the factory and especially to the supplying dealership to whom the problem would have been obvious during the PDI.

I also received a call from Customer Services shortly after being told the problem has (allegedly) been sorted. I agreed to a further call back on Friday after I've had a couple of days to ensure everything is now OK. I shall expect, and feel justified in requesting, at least some sort of compensation for out of pocket expenses such as reducing the excess on the courtesy car insurance, and also the worry and waste of my time after receiving a car that was initially not of satisfactory quality.

I'll report again after I'm sure the problem is resolved and after I've spoken again with Customer Services on Friday, but at least for now I'm somewhat happier :) .

·
Registered
169 Posts
I suspect that you will get nothing from Seat, directly, but try for some freeby from the dealer for not picking it up at PDI.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
number6 said:
I suspect that you will get nothing from Seat, directly, but try for some freeby from the dealer for not picking it up at PDI.
SEAT have already offered a sweetener in the form of some bottles of wine! However I prefer something more practical. I am 160 plus miles away from the supplying dealership so berating them and throwing my toys out of the pram is not really an option. Obviously the local dealership I went to who have apparently fixed the problem have no responsibility in the matter. Apparently they will not even be paid for the work they did as this does not constitute a warranty repair, rather something that should have been done at PDI. I don't pretend to understand how these franchises work, I am just happy that my local dealership proved so accommodating. Fingers crossed I am not speaking too soon!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far so good - Started engine this morning and all sounds OK :) :) . Had a 150 mile round trip today and with nearly 500 miles on the clock so far everything seems to be settling down nicely. We were 4 people today, unusual for us, and I was quite surprised and very pleased at how such a small engine performs. Still taking it easy, but assuming no further early problems then I shall be very happy. Will give Customer Services the thumbs up on Friday, but still expect a sweetener of some sort for all the angst caused by a sloppy PDI from a less then conscientious dealership :| .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to tidy this thread up - Car has now done some 1200 miles and the problem has not reared its head again. Package of 4 bottles of wine received from SEAT Customer services plus a phone call from them stating that upon investigation my car was apparently handed off to a Ford franchise to do the PDI which is against SEAT policy and knuckles have been duly rapped. Given that this particular dealership has multiple franchises, I assume this just means the vehicle was passed to someone on the same site who was not SEAT trained. All a little weird but do not feel inclined to chase further. SEAT have now closed my case.

Although this should never have happened in the first case, I have to say that SEAT Customer Services have been very good in this instance, keeping me informed and even 'phoning when they said they would! Am now very happy with the car, my only slight niggle is that the brakes seem quite fierce, but am adjusting to that and compensating with a lighter foot. Can't blame the car if it's a user problem!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there

I've had my 1.0 TSi 115 DSG since Jan this year and so far covered 1600 miles. Yesterday I went on a long trip from Leeds to Cambridge and back with no problems. I left the car for a couple of hours when I got home and then drove a couple of miles. The engine sounded extremely gruff and gravelly. I heard this noise very briefly a few weeks ago. It sounds very loud and "different", much rougher than normal. I took the car out this morning and the problem is still there from cold and doesn't settle down when warm.
I've booked the car in to my local dealer, JCT 600 Leeds in a couple of weeks time.
Grateful for any thoughts or comments. Presumably the car is OK to drive?

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
forgot to mention that the problem is more obvious in manual or sport mode i.e. higher revs but noticeable all the time. That said I have'nt gone above 3,500 revs yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.