Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I ordered an FR Sport 1.5 Tsi at the end of March, it's being built next week (week19).
I really like the look of the car inside and out, however I'm growing concerned about the much discussed issues (kangarooing and loss of power in 2 gear) on other VW group cars using this engine. Is there anyone on this forum who has had an Arona 1.5 TSI since Jan 2019 and experienced any of the above issues?
I'm taking the lack of chat as not many have selected this engine or they haven't experienced the fault(s).
It would be good to know.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lewandowsky, good to hear. I did test drive one before ordering and thought it was great, but then saw all the bad comments about it. Will just have to wait and see how it goes.
Thanks again. 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ping,
I wasn't aware of this 'kangarooing' issue with the 1.5 tsi engine before I joined the forum so, to learn about it has rather taken the shine off my excitement over buying a new car.
Visiting the T-roc and Briskoda forums you get the impression this is a widespread problem for VAG that has still not been totally fixed.
Although I was reassured by the comment from Lewandowsky. I would have liked to hear the views of a few more owners.
Is the 1.5 not very popular?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there are a few about. And a few on this forum. I'm taking the lack of response as a positive sign.
I have heard that Seat due to a strong union insistence, build the majority of the engines for their cars in house at the Barcelona plant. I don't know if that may make a difference? i.e the cars are married to the engine/gearbox better? Who knows...
I've not been put off my purchase by the other forums and decided to adopt a wait and see philosophy.
There have been problems in other VAG group cars however these seem rare in comparison to the T-roc and Skoda, (if I'd ordered one of those I'd be far more concerned) .
I'll keep you posted if I come across any problems When I get delivery of mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Triplemike,
I selected the 1.5 as I do just over 100 miles every day to and from work, and the 1.0 I don't think coped with the journey along the A2 and M25.

My story is:
I have the standard FR 1.5 TSI EVO not the Sport version.
It was delivered on the 16th March 2018 and now has over 24,000 on the clock.
Its been kangarooing since the day it was delivered and it happens when its hot or cold, but as a new car you (I did) believe it was me trying to get use to a new car and that kangarooing was my driving style.
I took it back to the dealers and the service manager drove it across the forecourt got out and said it was the worst one he has driven. They also has a new Ateca 1.5 which also kangarooed when I drove it. My cars details were added to a list they were building to go back to Seat about this issue.
VW are working on a software fix which has just been released to Skoda who they are using as a test environment. Reports (on the Ateca forum) say they are going well and that Seat will soon be rolling out the fix, but there will be no letter to owners, owners need to inform their dealers they have an issue.
I was told that the gearbox's in the 1.5 are the same that are used in the 1.0, and that the 2 are not aligned from a software point of view, so on acceleration the software slows the fuel flow into the engine as the revs build given drivers the feeling of a flat spot.
I really want an Ateca but after buying the wife one in Dec 16 having 2 seamed like over kill, so with the launch of the Arona I went to the Barcelona motor show to see it and came back and ordered one.
So apart from the above I'm very happy with the car. My only change would be a light above the back seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi ping. I have 1.5 tsi since August 2018 and I haven't noticed kangaroo. The engine is somehow different when it's cold, but I'll tell you the truth ... it's a thing of habit. You just learn to ride a car and I think it will be ok. Otherwise, the engine super, the performance amazing, especially enjoy it on the road outside the highway and on the road where there are many turns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's hope this latest fix from VW solves it.
Mine isn't due for delivery until at least September so, hopefully by then the fix will be installed as standard.
Naively, I only test drove the 1.0 and was very impressed but felt the extra grunt of the 1.5 would make it a more relaxing drive.
For now we will have to play the waiting game but, I will be keeping a close eye on developments through the other forums.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triplemike, I receive mine second week in June so I'll keep you and the forum posted on how it goes. 👍
And JerrySK, I'm in your camp with regard to different cars. I drive all sorts at work and they all have there own nuances... Like I said previously I'm adopting a personal wait and see policy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ping,
I think you are right, we will have to wait and see how the car drives in reality.
The second week in June is not long now. I bet the excitement is building. Please do let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I really wanted the 1.5 despite the reports but was not available in Cyprus and I wanted a DSG, so it was fully out of the picture. I did not understand why the bigger engine was Manual only and feel an auto always saps a bit of power, more weight etc...
My son has ordered a 1.5 Auto!! Skoda Superb estate,,, size of a bus, but loved the test drive and everything about the car!! Can only guess your 1.5 Arona will go like a rocket ship on the smaller platform and just enjoy. VW Group will no doubt sort the issue if not already and I will trundle around with my potent 1.0 tiptronic set up!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mrtpe465
Good to hear, to be fair I could live with that! I have a ford mondeo 2ltr turbo auto as a work car and I've had a couple of occasions of a flat spot on acceleration with that, so not unduly concerned. just heard today my car will be available for collection on the 11th June so picking it up 10am on that day. Will keep the forum updated with my experiences positive or negative!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First few days update, no engine issues in any driving mode. Appreciate it's early days and I've still got that new car buzz, however I've tried to be as objective as possible. As it stands It's a great car.
I'm glad I chose the 1.5 as it just gives the car that extra edge and smoothness. Fuel economy is better than expected for a new car, averaging between 40 and 50 mpg depending who driving it!
Digital cockpit is also very good.
Hope this has alleviated some of the fears people may have ordering this engine, it certainly has mine.
Will keep the forum posted when I've had it a bit longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is really good to hear. I hope other expectant owners, like myself take heart from this news.
The digital cockpit was one of those little things that persuaded me to chose this model so, it is also good to hear that it lives up to expectations.
I hope you keep on enjoying the drive and I for one will look forward to your future posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My new 1.5 FR Sport doesn't kangaroo, so it appears they resolved any issues on new builds.

I managed to find and take delivery of a new Red/Black car, within 5 days of starting my search, so no long wait for a factory build.

It seems some dealers are placing orders speculatively, then putting them up for sale just before they take delivery, so anyone looking to buy may be able to find one quickly with a thorough search of Autotrader and direct with the dealers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I wish my dealer had placed a few speculative orders. I ordered on 25 March, eventually got a build date of W/c 3 June, was told that it had been built and was in Spain awaiting shipping on 12 June and since then a thunderous silence from the dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mikedu said:
Well, I wish my dealer had placed a few speculative orders. I ordered on 25 March, eventually got a build date of W/c 3 June, was told that it had been built and was in Spain awaiting shipping on 12 June and since then a thunderous silence from the dealer.
Call SEAT Customer Services. They will tell be able to tell you immediately where the vehicle is. I called then several times during my wait for the new vehicle and each time they gave me an immediate and accurate update. You just need the SEAT build number from your dealership, NOT a dealers reference number. Don't be fobbed off. They will have this number as soon as your order was formalised with SEAT. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a quick update..
Still no problems after 1500 miles for me or my wife when driven.
Really love the car, fuel economy is better than expected 44 mpg over all types of driving but mainly in and around town.
I have seen though that it is not now available on the Seat configurator?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.