Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everybody in the forum.
My name is Paul I'm 71 and looking to get a new motor. At the top of my list is the Seat Arona, with Suzuki Vitara S coming second. I've come into the forum to ask members if they have had problems with their Arona.
There are one or two things that I want on my new motor
1. Adaptive cruise control
2. rear view camera
3. height adjustable front seats.
4. Park assist ?
So really to get all them things I would have to have the "Arona Ecellence Lux. As I understand, Seat don't fit any extra's at the factory, is that correct?

I question the park assist though it might be handy, as cars are getting bigger, the parking bays are the same size as 20 years ago. When using the adaptive cruise control, and your at a set distance, if another car comes in-between you and the car in front, does your car brake hard to allow the radar to adjust the distance?
If I'm reading the brochure right, any of their paint colours come in that price, where another manufacturer charges extra.
I hope to hear from members whether good or bad points

Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hiya ,
I can't comment on the gadget side of things ... but ..
I did test drive both and the Vitara was first .. The ride and quality feel of the Arona was better .. the Vitara doors needed shutting by slamming them , the boot took a lot of pressure to shut which actually hurt my back ! It just felt " cheap"
Gadgets and spec are good in the Vitara but it was functionality and quality and ride and handling that for me was far better in the Arona
Hope that helps too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I forgot, it has to be automatic, my mates Polo GTi has automatic and I think it's a god system, the only thing is, he tells me, while in gear and he pulls up at traffic lights, and puts the handbrake on, the front wheels will find traction and pull the car along, he has to put it in neutral, is this correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regarding the Adaptive Cruise Control, the car will brake for you if someone cuts in front of you. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend using the ACC when driving in heavy traffic. It's a lot more comfortable in lighter traffic conditions. It takes a bit of getting used to as you are trusting technology to take care of something that is naturally the driver's domain. I've had ACC for the last 8 years and whilst I am used to driving with it engaged, my wife still doesn't trust it. It's definitely a useful thing to have.

·
Registered
538 Posts
silverhairs said:
Sorry, I forgot, it has to be automatic, my mates Polo GTi has automatic and I think it's a god system, the only thing is, he tells me, while in gear and he pulls up at traffic lights, and puts the handbrake on, the front wheels will find traction and pull the car along, he has to put it in neutral, is this correct?
Hello,

Welcome, I have just ordered a Xcelence Lux 1.0 DSG having driven couple of possibilities, and Arona was by far the best, (unless you pay a fortune for something like Audi Q2 which I didn't even consider due to cost)

I have the DSG auto in my Yeti and Arona was just like it. To answer your question, if your foot is fully on the brake, clutches disengage, so wont move forward and doesn't need to go into neutral. If its a long stop (level crossing etc) might chose to put in neutral and apply handbrake so don't need to keep pressure on brake pedal. There is a lighter brake pedal setting. If you leave start-stop activated you can partly release brake it will restart the engine and be ready to go. Car wont normally move until you press accelerator (I think it has hill hold which stops it rolling back for a second or two). Difficult to describe the part brake release, but its basically just easing the pressure on the pedal without fully taking foot off brake pedal. Becomes natural after a few goes even if you have never had it before.

Obviously the performance will not match the 2 litre in a Polo GTI

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for your reply "Snowdaddy". My mates Polo is a real licence looser @ 6.5 seconds 0 -62 MPH. It's just short of 200 BHP. It's very tempting to put your right boot to the floor
I feel the 115 BHP Arona is ample, as I have a speed limiter sitting next to me when the Mrs is in the car !!!
Going back to the adaptive cruise control, living in Lincolnshire the roads are not too busy most of the time. I live in a village, once I get on the A16, it's about 11 miles to Louth and you can stay in 5th gear 95% of the way, remember, as being retired I don't have to be on the roads during busy times (people going to work and home again or when the kids are going to school.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Silverhairs

I have ACC on my Golf Mark7 and I have chosen the Arona Lux model as my next car.
I use the ACC in traffic and on Long Journeys.
if a car cuts in, in most cases the my car just brakes a little slows down to allow the gap to be established.
If the car cuts in and Brakes then the system will brake hard to avoid the a collision.
In traffic, i just let the car do the work, it pulls up to a complete stop, when the car infant moves, it does not start automatically until the car in front has reached a certain distance, but i over ride this by pressing resume, which on the Golf in on the Steering wheel controls.
on the Arona this is on stalk.
So well take a while to get used to this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Paul.

The first time you use the ACC and it pulls up you will HAVE your FOOT hovering over the the brake, as its a bit scary the first time, especially if you set it on minimum distance.
I Suggest the first time you use it, set the distance control fully or ¾ up the scale.
Then once you start getting used to it, back it down the scale 1 at a time until you find a position comfortable FOR YOU.
People may tell to have it XYZ position. but Ignore them start far away and then shorten it.
It will ease you in gently and less of a Brown adrenaline setting it min distance.
After the initial first shock i had, I did this, and now I am comfortable with it on long journeys (Drive out to Germany and Back for a long weekend, 750miles) done 4-5 trips out to Germany and also a couple out to Netherlands. EXPAT Friends..
But otherwise its entirely up to you how you do it.

But you have been warned. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts