Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum!

Very excited to have ordered my SE Tech Lux 1.6 Diesel. Been advised it's likely to arrive end of September, although I know there's been issues with others on their waiting times over the last year. Hopefully I won't have any of these same problems.

This is actually going to be my first car. I waited 25 years to get myself behind the wheel and stop being so lazy. I've got a few questions here in my newbie state I hope a few of you more seasoned pro's might help advise if possible.
For instance, I've come across a few comments about diesel vehicles requiring regular trips onto 40mph+ roads in order to avoid engine problems. Is this the case? I'll likely be commuting quite regularly, but I can't say for sure I'll be on those kinds of roads every day.

Also, regarding the seat belt issue widely reported in the back seats - my daughter is 2 and a half years old and travels in a rear facing child seat. I've seen some online media (I know, journalism is the pit of all truth) advising to avoid using the middle seat - well, this would be where I would've fitted my daughter's seat. Can anyone point out to me the sense here?

I know I've got ages to wait until I even get my hands on my car, but somehow talking about it makes me feel less impatient!

LordMac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Welcome,

Can't comment on diesel, and requirements of DPF, as mine is petrol.

Newly built cars are coming through with modified rear seat buckle. The problem (and there is a thread back about April with the test video) was during a high speed lane swerve bodies get thrown sideways and one buckle pressed on adjacent release unclipping it.

Assuming yours comes with the modification, use of any seating position is safe. Some child seats may sit better in outer seats as there is some sculpting (and I think isofix and top tether are only on outer, not middle seat). If your child seat has isofix (my daughter is now 16 and we had isofix 15 years ago, so probably now standard) then won't be using seatbelt anyway.

Mine came with front passenger airbag turned off, fortunately an orange light below heater controls showed this, there is key switch on side of dashboard if you need to put child seat in front. The airbag should be turned on unless child seat is there (off was factory or dealer error)

The SE tech Lux diesel seems to have one of the shortest waits. Enjoy your car when it arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I thought the permanent seat belt fix would not be available until, at least, November.
I am sure if it was available now SEAT would not be allowing cars to be rejected for the 4 seater car reason, or suppling additional 5 seat (hire?) cars to those with genuine need, when they could simply fit a £5 buckle assembly to resolve the problem.
I therefore believe current production has the temporary fix, but will gladly be corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! when did you order your car? What's the colour etc? I ordered mine at the weekend and was told it would be November when it arrives?

LordMac said:
Hey guys, new to the forum!

Very excited to have ordered my SE Tech Lux 1.6 Diesel. Been advised it's likely to arrive end of September, although I know there's been issues with others on their waiting times over the last year. Hopefully I won't have any of these same problems.

This is actually going to be my first car. I waited 25 years to get myself behind the wheel and stop being so lazy. I've got a few questions here in my newbie state I hope a few of you more seasoned pro's might help advise if possible.
For instance, I've come across a few comments about diesel vehicles requiring regular trips onto 40mph+ roads in order to avoid engine problems. Is this the case? I'll likely be commuting quite regularly, but I can't say for sure I'll be on those kinds of roads every day.

Also, regarding the seat belt issue widely reported in the back seats - my daughter is 2 and a half years old and travels in a rear facing child seat. I've seen some online media (I know, journalism is the pit of all truth) advising to avoid using the middle seat - well, this would be where I would've fitted my daughter's seat. Can anyone point out to me the sense here?

I know I've got ages to wait until I even get my hands on my car, but somehow talking about it makes me feel less impatient!

LordMac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cartrooper said:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! when did you order your car? What's the colour etc? I ordered mine at the weekend and was told it would be November when it arrives?
Hi,

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope I'm fortunate enough that the seat buckle is modified in production, shall have to watch this space.

Cartrooper, I ordered yesterday. Midnight black with grey roof, winter pack as standard etc, 1.6 diesel 115 SE. How about yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I ordered mine last weekend and it's due in November! Exactly the same spec as you, only it's the silver with black roof. I guess I'll be onto seat later on then...

LordMac said:
Cartrooper said:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! when did you order your car? What's the colour etc? I ordered mine at the weekend and was told it would be November when it arrives?
Hi,

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope I'm fortunate enough that the seat buckle is modified in production, shall have to watch this space.

Cartrooper, I ordered yesterday. Midnight black with grey roof, winter pack as standard etc, 1.6 diesel 115 SE. How about yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Cartrooper said:
I ordered mine last weekend and it's due in November! Exactly the same spec as you, only it's the silver with black roof. I guess I'll be onto seat later on then...

LordMac said:
Cartrooper said:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! when did you order your car? What's the colour etc? I ordered mine at the weekend and was told it would be November when it arrives?
Hi,

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope I'm fortunate enough that the seat buckle is modified in production, shall have to watch this space.

Cartrooper, I ordered yesterday. Midnight black with grey roof, winter pack as standard etc, 1.6 diesel 115 SE. How about yourself?
DPF needs running above 40 mph for 20 mins about every 300 miles to clear out the DPF. The Ad-Blue adding every 4000 miles...

My SE Tech Lux





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hi Lordmac,
Diesels do indeed benefit from being run up to full working temperture regularly in order to burn off the soot collected in the exhaust and diesel paticulate filter {dpf} which is intended to reduce soot emmissions and everything that in order to make our diesels much more greener.

Heres a passage from the hand book in order to give engine related advice. PAGE 200.

The diesel engine particulate filter eliminates
most of the soot from the exhaust gas system.
Under normal driving conditions, the filter
cleans itself. The diesel particulate filter is
cleaned automatically without need for indication
by the warning lamp . This may be
noticed because the engine idle speed increases
and an odour may be detected.
If automatic filter purification cannot be carried
out (because only short trips are taken,
for example), soot will accumulate on the filter
and the Diesel particulate filter warning
lamp will  switch on.
Facilitate the automatic filter cleaning process
by driving in the following manner: drive
for approximately 15 minutes at a minimum
speed of 60 km/h (37 mph) in 4th or 5th gear
(automatic gearbox: gear S). Maintain the engine
speed at approximately 2,000 rpm. The
rise in temperature causes the soot on the 200
filter to burn. On completion of the cleaning
the warning lamp will switch off. If the warning
lamp does not switch off, go immediately
to a specialised workshop to rectify the problem.

In general the advice for when a DPF warning light comes on is to continue to drive the car at full operating temperature for the above times and manor in order for the system to regenerate and burn off the collected soot and until the warning light goes off.

BUT NEVER LET THIS ADVISE ALLOW YOU TO DRIVE IN A DANGEROUS MANOR AND ALWAYS STAY WITHIN THE SPEED LIMIT IN DOING SO ;-)

But us diesel drivers do very much appricate the extra torque , pulling power and extra econemy it brings and new diesels very much have have been given a very bad time by certain newspapers and elements of the press.

If you Do need not to switch off the car. during this process plan to take the car on such a journey next time you you it in order to heat the exhaust orcordingly.

Most diesels in my experiance take about 20 mins of driving at 50 mph or above with keeping the revs up to reach its cycle. Prior to this process you will normally feel the extra heat or smell from the exhaust area which runs the lengh of the car or experiance the electric fan running on after the ignition has been switch off. This can be a signal the process is in progress or about to kick in.
This of coarse will happen natrually during longer trips.

Hence one of the reasons diesels are not entiely suitable for constant short trips around town or in areas with no Motorways or major A roads to drive down a couple of junctions to clear the system when the dpf light comes on. The system isfair less likely to regenerate in normal driving conditions.

Hope that helps in the future.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top