Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard from my dealer that you will not be able to order these in the foreseeable future and i was fortunate to get my order in !
Anybody heard this ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
No mention of this in the Seat Press.
http://www.seatpress.co.uk/models/

So where your deal got that from no idea... sounds a bit like a way to make a sale more likely...

·
Registered
299 Posts
When vw stopped accepting orders on the tiguans with the 1.4tsi it took about 4 weeks from people being told by dealers they weren't accepting orders for that engine to it showing as being removed from the website.

·
Registered
355 Posts
But the 1.4TSi is still available on the Tiguan with 2wd and 4wd.
The 1.5 is available in the Skoda Kodiak and karok. and in the T-Roc.
highly unlikely that they pull the plug on a engine in the popular FR Sport trim.
Lets wait and see?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Apologies probably didn't make it clear that was about 12 months ago when waiting list went like they are now for the arona.

·
Registered
355 Posts
in other words, they are running short on the 1.5 engine.
You could still order, but your waiting time will be much much longer.
So they suspend orders to allow for the factory to catch up in production.
as the engines all come from the same plant, same with gearboxes.
As SEAT announced that they will be building all the new MQBP281 DSG Boxes in the Barcelona plant for all VAG group cars.
Ford plant does the same.
if any engine components or production parts come from different factories or different sectors within the factory complex then the JIT system is used and has tight time controls, and if they have delays in part shipments/production/logistics etc then this can also effect the manufacture cycle.
So you Know:
JIT is short for 'Just-In-Time' production, or TPS (Toyota Production System) which was started back in the 1960's by Toyota. This type of system is employed in pretty much all automotive manufacturers these days, and is part of the waste reduction and efficiency and continual improvement, or KAIZEN. KANBAN is the tool (Method) used to develop and achieve the TPS/JIT system.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So are you saying, this is probably a temporary suspension due to demand outstripping production of that engine. So they can clear some backlog of orders, then reopen orders.

Another thread is suggesting additional shifts to build more Aronas for a few weeks so presumably these extras will be built with other engine sizes. Logic suggests this will thus cause a run on either the 1.0 tsi or the Diesel which may subsequently lead to delivery delays on those.

·
Registered
355 Posts
don't forget the 1.5 engine is being used in the VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT models, so if an increase in orders for this engine in another VAG group i.e. VW T-ROC, then they will supply to the them and supply will be reduced to the other makes. VW(VAG) controls this and they are going to want there models out of the door before its sibling makes.
The 1.0TSI is less likely to be effected so much as this is mostly going to be spec'd in these smaller models, Arona, POLO, Ibiza, Leon, UP! GTI, etc..
it all depends on supply and demand, But VAG not going to say this directly.

·
Registered
538 Posts
From reading a Skoda forum, there is whole series of engine changes taking place within VW group.

Appears the 1.4 diesel (which is available in limited number of models) is being discontinued, there is retooling over the summer shutdown (3 weeks in July) and Line is expected to make petrol engines going forward.

Also seems the 1.4 petrol is being replaced by 1.5 petrol (already in some models like Karoq and Arona) and by Autumn (although not relevant to Arona) some new power outputs for 2 litre petrols also arrive, this is phased and some don't start until November. There is also a lower power (not ACT) 125bhp version of 1.5.

I understand there has been a huge shift from diesel to petrol in Germany which caught VW group out, hence current shortages of petrol engines. At the same time many engines are also gaining gasoline particulate filters (unlike diesels which need regeneration at intervals GPFs are always active)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I've been told the same. My order for 1.5 FR Sport is still not confirmed at week build 28. The order dates back from December and not looking like i'll get it til September now. Not happy about that as was due to get it in May. Hopefully the build week will move again soon and finally get confirmed. Anyone else in the same situation and been offered Goodwill gesture? I have at least been advised I will get a courtesy car whilst waiting for it. This is obviously why you don't see many on the road.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well everywhere seems to have a big push away from Diesels, and to Petrol, Hybrid and Electric vehicles.
In the not to distant future we see this happening all over again as they all shift towards Electrics only vehicles.
Hybrids will become more prevalent in the market in the shift, smaller petrol engines being used as generators(Range Extenders).
It will still take a number of years before the Battery technology is good enough to compete.
Maybe we will in the future see swappable battery modules for cars, or even NFC charging, with a under road charging grid to keep your cars topped up as you drive.
Alternative is to turn all cars into bumper cars, with a charging lattice above the road LOL.

The problem is supply and demand again, so more electricity generating stations, wind farms and solar arrays will be needed.
Unless someone invents a self charging perpetual battery pack and generator with zero carbon foot print.
Fossil fuels are being slowly stopped, so what are happens change will come.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shazziek said:
Yes I've been told the same. My order for 1.5 FR Sport is still not confirmed at week build 28. The order dates back from December and not looking like i'll get it til September now. Not happy about that as was due to get it in May. Hopefully the build week will move again soon and finally get confirmed. Anyone else in the same situation and been offered Goodwill gesture? I have at least been advised I will get a courtesy car whilst waiting for it. This is obviously why you don't see many on the road.
Yep I am in the same position. My order for a 1.5 FR Sport was accepted by the factory on 29 January. Eventually I was given provisional build week 16. Then I was told on Monday the build week has been moved back to at least week 25.

A 9 week delay was not acceptable so I rang Seat UK and my dealer to sound out cancelling the order and getting back my deposit.

I was offered the £250 compensation and am now driving this until the new car arrives. Needless to say I am happy to wait. ;) 20180411_135151.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here I've been offered £250 which I haven't accepted at the moment as I went straight to the CEO of Seat to complain. They are at least arranging my courtesy car so hopefully i'll get a nice Audi to drive around too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called to have a chat with the Doncaster dealer, and he confirmed the waiting time for a 1.5 is now at 24 weeks. No orders are therefore being taken at the moment.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Its not just the Arona, similar thing is being reported on Skoda forum.
Orders for 1.5 tsi Karoq have been closed until September due to waiting lists of 26-32 weeks

The UK car sales figures for April are only 30.6% diesel, petrol sales are more than double, but being constrained by supply problems. Seems to be affecting multiple manufacturers with stories of some models having 9 month waiting lists, and order books suspended.

So the 24 week wait for Arona, whilst poor, is not as bad as some at 9+ months

·
Registered
299 Posts
I guess that means us evo arona owner's are going to be a rare sight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I ordered fr sport 1.5 on 18th jan
I'm still waiting for a build date and like you have an unconfirmed week 28
I get weekly updates from the chief execs office and have told them about extra expenses I will be incurring on my existing car (tyre replacements)
I have also explained that we purchased the car to tour France in September.
Nothing concrete but they have advised me to let them know what I spend and I was given the impression they may provide a car for our trip
All a bit uncertain tho so far no mention of goodwill

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi must be 1.5 engines available my 1.5FR was built week beginning 23/4 and is now sitting at Tyne port.
Ordered it 7/2 so still within12-16 weeks I was told just waiting for transport north and of course the seat belt recall to be done
Fingers crossed I get it by the end of the month

1 - 20 of 22 Posts