Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ..just wanted to know what the members thought of having a oil change at 3000 mls .i have been advised that it is advisable on this engine..thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure it's necessary, unless you have heard otherwise?
I'm just about to have our first service and will have oil/filter change- SE Tech 1.0 95
at 9000miles.
The only other issue, apart from seat belt saga, is a slightly sticky/juddery drivers window.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i asked my local seat dealer for a price on a oil and filter change 0n a 2018 1.0 he came back with £200 !! ..i said i only want a oil change not a service his replay that is the price for a oil change i replied for something that takes 30 min tops that is downright robbery ....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have had honda cars for the last 20 years and still own a 2004 civic i bought from new ..never have i been charged more than £120 for a oil /filter change even on my last 2017 civic ...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Regarding an oil change at 3000 miles, there is some logic as that should be the end of the engine loosening up period (and loosening up means grinding off microscopic pieces of metal)

I have no intention of waiting until 18000 miles, this is a high performance engine, and in its 115 form is much more thermally stressed than the low power versions. The basic idea that the low power 1.0 and the 115 version can have identical oil change regimes seems flawed to me.

Regarding cost, a quote of £200 is bonkers for an oil change. I am sure someone said that as the engine is identical you may be able to get others eg a Skoda dealer to do the job, worth asking as they might charge less. They have a fixed price of £99 (see link) and I often find the prices are 20-30% lower when you phone as this is a maximum price (our other car is a Skoda Roomster)

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

I have just checked and SEAT do fixed price on many items, but not oil changes

https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/fixed-price-maintenance.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is this just an oil change? If so I'm sure it's not beyond any competent person to do it themselves, just make sure you are using the correct oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i checked with two other seat dealers ..one in stockport who said [ quote] you dont need a oil change till its 12 months old or its done the recomended miles for one ..however we will charge £160 for one ..one other in the north west said £157 ..but i might look at doing it my self once i get the correct oil and filter plus sump washer of course

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok now been told that the vw group use a oil called ... Quantum and that mine should be 5w40 Engine Oil ..any body had any experience with this oil ..thinking of ordering the Quantum Platinum 5w40 Engine Oil reviews look very good ..our friends at listers recommend it also

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought it should be 5W30?
To spec VW 504 00
Here is a link to a supplier. http://www.volkswagenpartsdirect.co.uk/product/Quantum_Longlife_III_5W30_Fully_Synthetic_Oil_5L_AZGB115QLB01501
Listers may be cheaper?

I see that Quantum is a registered trademark of the VW UK group.
Here is a link to the spec sheet. https://quantumparts.co.uk/media/custom/upload/16444_Quantum_LONGLIFE_III_5W-30_Spec_Sheet_v4.pdf

It looks like it is supplied to VW UK by FUCHS https://www.fuchs.com/uk/en/company/news/news-entry/320-tps-selects-fuchs-lubricants-uk-for-all-new-quantum-oil-range/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that was what i was told 5w-40 as the correct oil for a regular oil change engine whereas the long life oil is 5w-30 ... listers told me the same that mine is 5w-40 regular not long life type

·
Registered
156 Posts
Asda have Castrol Edge 5w-30 for £13 a litre or £36 for 4 litres. To 504 00/507 00 VW spec.

Some people say Quantum is rebranded Castrol, not sure if it is true!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having been a member on other car forum sites in the past I have always found that the subject of oil is the most common discussed.
Dealers says one thing, oil company says another, and handbook is often very misleading.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ordered a oil filter and sump bolt from listers worcester [ ross ] last night arrived this morning !! how about that for service and so helpful just wish my local seat dealer was half as good

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can still remember my studies for City an Guilds - VISCOSITY INDEX =
'the measure of an oils ability to withstand viscosity change with temperature change.'
so, 5W 40 oil as recommended by SEAT is only done after extensive tests.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts