Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Had my FR since September 18 the last few week its developed a noise which sounds like a vibration noise from the passengers side in the dash area
starts as soon as you move off but goes off after a hours driving .
Tried all the usual spots emptied the glove box , thought it was were the dash meets the centre consul but no luck

Anybody else had a rattle in this area

" Thought i had gone back to my Leon " :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem. It's intermittent which makes it all the more difficult to track down, and of course, never happens when i take it to the dealer!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wowzz said:
Yes, I have the same problem. It's intermittent which makes it all the more difficult to track down, and of course, never happens when i take it to the dealer!
Glad I am not on my own Yes it is a bit intermittent seem worse when Cold

·
Registered
538 Posts
Also try turning off andon and moving all the air vents on the dashboard.

As it goes when warmed up, could be something to do with air ducts so worth checking if changing heater output between screen, feet etc stops it, if it does then suggests loose duct or distribution flap in vent. Need to try and isolate it, so easy to replicate when dealer is due to fix it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys, its probably the knob of the handbreak. If cold outside, it rattles a hit and it sounds if like coming from the dashboard).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Blaming a rattle on the hand brake knob is not exactly an endorsement of build quality. I'm beginning to think I should have bought a Kia or Hyundai - perhaps not as attractive to look at, but certainly better built.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's definitely from the passengers dash Area but can't find it there's a lot of kit under there it not the centre consul or the hand brake

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find that the passenger side seat belt buckle receiver to be particularly twangy. I already got it changed and the sound came back. i now just have it packed with a demisting cloth jammed beside the seat. Not saying it is the root of your noise, but originally i was convinced the sound was coming from the passenger door, i.e. to the left of my ear !

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wowzz said:
Blaming a rattle on the hand brake knob is not exactly an endorsement of build quality. I'm beginning to think I should have bought a Kia or Hyundai - perhaps not as attractive to look at, but certainly better built.
Just a update on tracking it down I thought it was the fuse box cove so put some foam in but still same to I wedged a piece of foam between the passenger door and the end of the dash then closed the door .Tried it today noise gone so it is definitely the dash somewhere But the problem is what's causing the dash to vibrate ???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Perhaps it's the engine that makes the dash vibrate somewhat. A 3-cylinder engine is quite unbalanced and vibrates more than a 4-cylinder. Not to mention a perfectly stable 6-cylinder engine. Somehow the VAG-group succeeded to develop the engine without a balance shaft, but it still vibrates more than bigger engines with more cylinders. Just a thought, dude.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Monmouth said:
Perhaps it's the engine that makes the dash vibrate somewhat. A 3-cylinder engine is quite unbalanced and vibrates more than a 4-cylinder. Not to mention a perfectly stable 6-cylinder engine. Somehow the VAG-group succeeded to develop the engine without a balance shaft, but it still vibrates more than bigger engines with more cylinders. Just a thought, dude.
Yes thanks for that you are right the three cylinder engines do vibrate but what I can not understand is why it goes off after about 30 min so may be engine related

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have exactly the same problem - irritating isn't the word!
Because it is intermittent, its difficult to pin the source down. Back to Ford for my next car - boring, but at least well built!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a update on the vibration /rattle behind the passenger side dashboard .
I called at my Local dealer and asked about having a look at this They wanted £79 diagnostic fee "as rattles are only covered under warranty for six months " mentioned that if i had bought the car off them they May have looked at as a goodwill gesture told him not bother !

But my tracking it down is narrowing it down to something under the top plastic dash or the dash its self .As we have had this sunny weather if the car is outside in the sun there is NO noise or vibration at all so this makes me believe its the dash o maybe touching the windscreen or maybe the plastic wiper housing ?
But i want to look under the dash but finding it difficult
Does anybody know how to swing the glove box down i have tried pushing the plastic slide hinge pieces in but the do not seem to go

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brian566 said:
I called at my Local dealer and asked about having a look at this They wanted £79 diagnostic fee "as rattles are only covered under warranty for six months "
I wasn't aware there was a 6 month limit. Thanks for posting, I will now be booking mine in for absolutely every little niggle before the 6 months is up.

Quite disappointing really. I usually buy Toyota and they have dealt with rattles for me years after purchase. In fact, their warranty has the same coverage from day 1 to year 6.

VW Group need to rethink their warranty coverage, I've heard so many horror stories about exclusions (across all VW brands, not just SEAT). They clearly lack confidence in their product and build processes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brian566 said:
I called at my Local dealer and asked about having a look at this They wanted £79 diagnostic fee "as rattles are only covered under warranty for six months " mentioned that if i had bought the car off them they May have looked at as a goodwill gesture told him not bother !

But my tracking it down is narrowing it down to something under the top plastic dash or the dash its self .As we have had this sunny weather if the car is outside in the sun there is NO noise or vibration at all so this makes me believe its the dash o maybe touching the windscreen or maybe the plastic wiper housing ?
Does anybody know how to swing the glove box down i have tried pushing the plastic slide hinge pieces in but the do not seem to go
Brian - sounds like you and I have exactly the same problem. It drives me crazy! I think the only way to get rid of it, is to get rid of the car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wowzz said:
Brian566 said:

But my tracking it down is narrowing it down to something under the top plastic dash or the dash its self .As we have had this sunny weather if the car is outside in the sun there is NO noise or vibration at all so this makes me believe its the dash expanding and the fault maybe touching the windscreen or maybe the plastic wiper housing ?
Brian - sounds like you and I have exactly the same problem. It drives me crazy! I think the only way to get rid of it, is to get rid of the car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian566 said:

But my tracking it down is narrowing it down to something under the top plastic dash or the dash its self .As we have had this sunny weather if the car is outside in the sun there is NO noise or vibration at all so this makes me believe its the dash expanding that stops the noise so maybe touching the windscreen or maybe the plastic wiper housing ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts