Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question ,i took my car to arnold clark for my cars second year car service ,the car has 11000mls on the clock .the seat garage told me my rear discs are at 6mm and the pads worn down and need replaced,i told them no at £270.00 was too much..i can do them myself if they need changed .this got me to thinking the car is two years old,if i believe the garage why are my rear brakes wearing down so quick.
second question.they told me my air conditioning system required a top up and fluid changing at 170 pounds ? i told them again no,question can i do this myself or does it need changing at all?thx for any input please Richard

·
Registered
558 Posts
Unfortunately there are rogue dealers, who try and sell things not needed, and even lie.

I had similar with a dealer in Twickenham, at second year service my front brake pads were apparently 80% worn and needed changing, I declined. Following year another dealer said 60-70% worn, don’t need to do them yet, but should be checked in 6-9 months as might not last whole year. I am still trying to work out how my brake pads managed to grow 10-20% over a year !

As for air conditioning, if you never turn it off it seems to be fine without a service. Our other car is over 9 years old, never had a/c service and still working. (My Arona is 3.5 years old, has the newer refrigerant and a/c is still as good as new). Yes it may use a few pence extra fuel keeping it on, but lot less than cost of repairing it.

Reactions: BellaSully

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately there are rogue dealers, who try and sell things not needed, and even lie.

I had similar with a dealer in Twickenham, at second year service my front brake pads were apparently 80% worn and needed changing, I declined. Following year another dealer said 60-70% worn, don’t need to do them yet, but should be checked in 6-9 months as might not last whole year. I am still trying to work out how my brake pads managed to grow 10-20% over a year !

As for air conditioning, if you never turn it off it seems to be fine without a service. Our other car is over 9 years old, never had a/c service and still working. (My Arona is 3.5 years old, has the newer refrigerant and a/c is still as good as new). Yes it may use a few pence extra fuel keeping it on, but lot less than cost of repairing it.
thx for the input there i will sleep at lot happer tonight.i have a fair knowledge of fixing my own car repairs ,this is my first new car and after two years needs mega costs was a bit much for me there to take in,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Arnold Clark, just one step down from Kwik fit in the rip off punters stakes, you’ll probably never need to change the rear discs unless they get excessively corroded, they really don’t do a great deal when braking normally in day to day driving, pads maybe once in your ownership of the car.
i previously had a Skoda Fabia VRS, mk1, the rear discs were changed at 125k miles, they were still above the Skoda recommended minimum thickness, they were only changed as one of the rear callipers had seized and blued the disc,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for the reply. I bought from online .the discs and pads set.for 30pounds and the tool kit for 8 pounds to change then,took me 45 min each side and saved me a fortune lol,it wasnt too hard to do so youtube it and have the faith and it will save yuo a lot of money,.the inside of both discs was scored and causing me to have brake judder,there was plenty wear left on the pads but all the pads have visible scores in them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts