Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to pick up my Arona today but first thing I got a call saying it was ready but I couldn't have it. SEAT have put out a recall for the phone charger and the parts will not be in until next week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On reading about this in another thread on here (Waiting time for a new order?) and having picked up a new Arona last week, I have now made two phone calls.

The first one was to SEAT UK customer services, where after a long time on hold I was told that although they are aware of this recall (which was only announced yesterday) I should contact my dealer for further information. She also asked me how I had heard about the recall, which I don't think has been widely publicised yet!

My second call was to the dealer from whom we purchased the car, where I spoke to a service adviser who first advised me that my car was not affected, but after speaking to a 'technician' then advised me that it might be, but went on to say that it was not actually a 'safety recall' (which seems to contradict what Dunklemann was told) and that there was therefore no cause for concern.

She did imply that I would receive further feedback, either from themselves or directly from SEAT though.

I will obviously be interested to hear what others are being told about this 'problem'!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was told they were not to let the car go without the work being done. Perhaps it is not a safety recall, as such, but WDIK. I apologise if I have alarmed anyone unnecessarily or unintentionally misled them. I was only passing on what I was told.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's good to know as
1) find out if there is an issue and your not being told a pack
2) allows us to make an inform decision as to whether we chase this regards our own cars.

I haven't had chance to ring the dealers as yet but I will see what seat comes back with then approach them, although they'll probably be sick of the site of me as the cars been back almost as many times as weeks I've owned it. I just hope this isn't a sign they have rushed things to get the cars out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The broker I have ordered with messaged me this morning concerning the recall.
It included a PDF sent by Seat, from what I can gather the recall relates to the amplification of mobile signals, i.e. the charger currently amplifies the signal, but that isn't legal, so they are being recalled to remove that facility. (But still keeps wireless charging facility.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
@Dunklemann
No problem here at all, and I would like to thank you for passing on this information so quickly, as I get the impression that it is still quite 'early days' as it were, so perhaps a lot is being left to the individual dealer as to exactly what action they should take.

@Mexicola
Thanks for the additional information which sort of ties in with what my dealer said. Fortunately it doesn't really sound as if this is an urgent 'safety' issue as such, but I assume that SEAT would not wish to sell a customer a vehicle which is not strictly 'legal', once they are aware of the issue.
It does look as if this will affect all versions of the Arona though (including the SE Technology) which have the wireless charging facility.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
An interesting article indeed... particularly the last comment which was only added a few days ago and implies that the change actually happened on 12th April 2018... only just over a week ago.

Surely other makes of cars, besides the Arona, must be affected by this change also though?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I thought that as Audi always used to advertise their 'phonebox' that amplified the signal and wireless charge the phone but I've just checked on their website and it says now it only charges the phone. I'm also pretty sure that the brochure for seat use to say the same but again only mentions charging, the brochure was updated for April. The manual from November still makes mention to the phone signal being boosted. Not sure it's worth the effort of harassing dealers to get it removed, hardly a safety issue more seat covering their own!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was due to pick my Arona up on Saturday but was told it had to get the booster removed as it was illegal in the UK by the dealership. Something with it affecting government and military signals or something like that. Its affected all VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda models with that charger in it. Simple fix I think as mines being sorted Monday and I will received it Tuesday. I have been given an Ibiza FR model to use for a few days. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not a safety recall. Just an issue with registering any new cars with that particular part in it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Burch24 said:
Its not a safety recall. Just an issue with registering any new cars with that particular part in it.
Cheers mate , My car seems fine - if my dealers calls I will let the forums know the script

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had any luck picking up their cars since this recall? I was supposed to pick mine up on sunday but was told about that morning. Was told by my dealer that it was just a case of taking a part out which they had already done and then getting a code from seat to be able to register the car. Was told this would take 48 hours so arranged to pick the car up today. Still no code today tho and so still no car. No mention has been made of replacement parts which I find strange. Just curious what others have been told?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could I ask, if there removing the booster will they be replacing it with another one? Basically will we still be able to booster our phone signals in the car?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Craig200588 said:
Could I ask, if there removing the booster will they be replacing it with another one? Basically will we still be able to booster our phone signals in the car?
Sounds like it is an integrated unit with wireless charger, however my understanding (and info is vague) is that a replacement (that is compliant) will need to be fitted subsequently. Presumably there will be delay whilst these parts are designed and made. So no timescales yet.

As it sounds like current one boosts banned frequencies I am guessing new circuits or electronic chip with different frequency ranges is required

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've picked mine up now. The booster has been removed completely due to it being illegal in the UK according to the dealer. There was a hint towards interference with military/police signals or something along them lines. I will have to return to the dealership to get some clips replaced as they had to be broken in order to take the booster out but it's a 60 second job. No big drama.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Burch24 said:
I've picked mine up now. The booster has been removed completely due to it being illegal in the UK according to the dealer. There was a hint towards interference with military/police signals or something along them lines. I will have to return to the dealership to get some clips replaced as they had to be broken in order to take the booster out but it's a 60 second job. No big drama.
That's good then! Was worried incase I would have to wait even longer for my Arona and not get the feature. Hoping to be picking up my FR Sport in the next couple weeks, will speak to my dealer and see what he says about it. Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
As I have had my Arona since 12/3/18 , I was wondering if any Arona owner has had a e mail or telephone call from their dealer regarding this wireless charger fiasco? I have not

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well they have had my Arona, my full payment and my trade-in, which is probably gone, for a week. If SEAT choose not to release the car this coming Monday when I am back then I had better get a courtesy car - their problem, their responsibility, their solution.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.