Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have a slow puncture discovered when the car was in for its first service yesterday. The tyre has lost about 1psi per week since new. A piece of wire has gone through the inner side wall, only discovered when the tyre was removed as part of the thorough dealer investigation.
So a new tyre is required due to the position of the puncture.

I was somewhat dismayed that the dealer offered to fit a replacement that wasn't the same as the Pirelli on the opposite side, I thought it was recommended to fit the same make and type, at least on the same axle. I thought that was one reason that even full size spares are usually restricted to 50mph.

What are your views, or experience, on mixing tyres?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am guessing the dealer had one of same size (but wrong make) in stock
Presumably if you want the Pirelli, will have to wait until morning, to get one delivered

What are the tread depths, more important to have the driving wheels similar tread depths, I probably wouldn't mix types (and certainly wouldn't mix a mid range or budget tyre with the Pirellis). It will come back to haunt you the day you need to slam on the anchors because a child or deer has run out in front of you.

There are different schools of thought, but I would put the new tyre on the front, and have the one of the other 3 with deepest tread switched to other front wheel.

As you are no doubt aware, the Pirelli P7 is a summer tyre, and various members have commented on its poor performance in cooler weather (and may be useless in snow, I can't comment yet on snow). A tyre that is good at +30c or +40c in Italian summer, isn't going to be best at +5c in cold UK rain.

If your tyres were worn I would be changing them for more appropriate for UK (all season, as they better suited to -5c to +25c range, which is more common in UK). Although there is rather a restricted choice for the 18 inch wheels (whole separate thread on this so not repeating info here). I suspect you really need to get your moneys worth and get through to November, before justifying a change. It is annoying that in UK where changing tyres with season is a rarity, Seat insist on fitting summer tyres when new (even for dealers in Scotland), especially as summer tyres are poor below +7c.

If you are wondering if you can mix all seasons and summer tyres, lets assume you put them on both driving wheels (don't consider one tyre), there is a risk of pirouetting (but you would do that on snow with 4 summer tyres anyway), at least you stand a chance of traction. If all 4 tyres are premium tyres (and all seasons need to be premium to work in all conditions) you will have minimised the risks for the few snowy occasions. If you live in the hills or North where snow is common, then don't do this as risk is higher. However mixing winter and summer tyres is a step too far. Ideally all 4 tyres should be same type (and get a front-back swap at about 12k-15k miles to even out the wear). Incidently if it a leased car going back under 25k miles then the front-back swap should avoid having to buy replacements during the lease.

My experience is that dealers are not usually as cheap as shopping around (but for a single tyre, probably not enough price difference to go through hassle of shopping around), especially if car then needs to be moved.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snowdaddy, thanks for your reply. My rear 17 inch tyres (where the puncture is) still have 7mm left on them. The dealer didn't have any tyres of the correct size in stock. I can save £30 on one Pirelli P7 tyre by going elsewhere which is what I am doing and as I have driven 12 months on the puncture a couple more days should be no problem.

I agree with what you say about all seasons and it is a shame they are not available from new, but it is unlikely I will be changing tyres before trading in the car, unless I get more punctures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts