Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prepared a plan for how I intended to run in my engine and posted it here. However it seems the argument as to whether to run in or not attracts controversy I want to avoid so I've edited out the original post. The key part was about early sealing of the piston rings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh dear. I haven't run in the engine. Never have done in previous cars to be honest. Collected ours on Saturday and done about 150 miles in it. Sat on the motorway at around 90 for about half an hour then drove up to the lakes on narrow B roads in Sport mode using the flappy paddles overtaking many caravans with my foot to the floor. I didn't think modern engines needed running in. Oops.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please can we avoid starting an argument. I spent ages going through forums where each side argued back and forth the merits or not of running in methods. Look at the thread on my second reference PistonHeads Running in a new engine if you want to see that kind of stuff.

I posted this for people who do want to run in.

I've removed the post so pm me if you want a copy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry. I wasn't starting an argument. I just never realised modern engines needed running in. It's not something I've thought about. Now I have been informed I will take it much more steady. I certainly wasn't saying what was being said was wrong I just didn't know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ollie, my plan included that but thanks for pointing it out. It was my first port of call when investigating. I spent several hours wading through the arguments, summarising what I thought was the best practice for myself. I simply thought I would share it for those who want a bit more than SEAT offer.

Most of my summary is similar to SEAT's advice but with mileage ranges, revs maximums and load maximums to keep me focussed :cool: . What might be new for most people is the argument that the piston rings could be run in, in a particular manner. This comes from this link Mototune Break in secrets for a new engine .

I'll repost it if requested, but it was written for me alone. I am not an evangelist for it so each to their own. If it doesn't float anyone's boat then they can ignore it. I don't want to run the risk of spoiling what has been, for me, a very enjoyable forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So in simple terms ...
What's the maximum revs and speed please ?
My dealer told me not to run it in but if you can advise on revs and speed just to be careful and cautious I'd appreciate your advice
Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baggy, I have sent you a P.M. Sorry about the delay, I am on holiday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now retired from motor-sport, but running in an engine was always considered essential. When BMW had track cars delivered to Brands Hatch, they always had a delivery firm put several hundred road miles on them before final delivery.

Over the years I have always driven new engines gently, with increases up the rev range at frequent intervals. Touch wood, I have never had an engine problem, and economy has been good. The BMW 520d was an easy 65mpg on a run, as was the 218d, whilst my current petrol Fiesta 1.0 100bhp version, is averaging 52mpg around town, and 60mpg on a longer run.

Normal or managed? Only you as the owner can decide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to share my experience : our dealer advised we should drive normally which we did. Im kind of heavy footed so i was a bit more tough on rev than my wife thou... After 1000km economy wise we end up between 5,6 -6,0 liters per 100km long time stat says 5,7 now. We drive mixed ranges town/long runs

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Dunkelmann Hey there! I'm picking up a new Arona on Thursday. Would be interested in your plan for running in a new engine. I'm going to be driving on the motorway for 3 hours the day after I pick it up. Any advice for top speed in those early miles? Cheers!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ian, here is my original plan that I stuck to. The car runs very well. I am a sceptical, scientific kind of a guy so I made my own decisions based on a lot of reading. I suspect the topic is like Marmite: there are those who say it is necessary and those who say it isn't. The problem is that if there is a case for a certain style that gives better long term performance of the engine it would be difficult to prove by the average car forum member. So being cautious, this being my first new petrol car and thinking I would keep it a long time, this is what I originally came up with and followed pretty closely.

I've been doing some research on running-in modern engines. There are a variety of ways to do it but I've decided to put together my own hybrid plan. The key part is bedding in the piston rings as early as possible, without straining the engine. This is done in the first 20 miles if possible. Other than that I don't think there is much controversy, although opinions range from "run it hard" to "be gentle"! This applies to petrol engines but the principles are similar for diesels (my previous new car was a diesel).

Here are some of the sources I used:
Mototune Break In Secrets
PistonHeads Forum Running in a new engine
SEAT Arona Owner's Manual

This is my plan:

Overall, vary the revs and do not sit at a constant speed for long when running in.

From new with a warm engine and as early as possible, within first 20 miles, ideally ;) (you need a long, straight, quiet piece of road):

• Stage 1, 5 times (50% throttle):
    In 3rd gear, accelerate from 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm, lift off pedal, let engine braking take the speed back down.
  • Stage 2, 5 times (70% throttle):
    In 3rd gear, accelerate from 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm, lift off pedal, let engine braking take the speed back down.
  • Stage 3, 5 times (70% throttle):
    In 3rd gear, accelerate from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm, lift off pedal, let engine braking take the speed back down.

Within the first 500 miles, if you get the opportunity to repeat stage 3 above, do so.

First 200 miles:
3000-3600 rpm max, 70% throttle, never full throttle

200-500 miles:
3000-4500 rpm max, 70% throttle, allow full throttle further up the rev range (i.e. when in a lower gear)

500-1000 miles:
5100 rpm max, full throttle further up towards max revs

1000 miles on:
Normal driving

SEAT Owner's Manual Advice

First 600 miles
- Do not drive at speeds of more than 75 mph.
- Do not accelerate hard.
- Avoid high engine revolutions.
- Do not tow a trailer.
From 600 miles to 900 miles
- Speeds can be gradually increased to the maximum road speed or maximum permissible engine speed (rpm).
During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on, when all the moving parts have bedded in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is a lot of "nit picking"... just drive sensibly and economically for 600 miles and you're there... no racing, no dropping gears to overtake, let the engine idle for a coupe of mins on a cold start and quit worrying.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BFP I am not going to argue. As a scientist, when faced with studies, not hearsay, I will consider the evidence and make my own mind up 😀. Do the same and do your own study, come back with your findings or references and I'll be happy to consider them. Did you read the links I gave?

Ian, the only measure of throttle we have is the proportion of travel of the accelerator pedal. It is rough and ready but 0 is no pressure, 50% is halfway to the floor and full is on the floor. In the absence of my wife lying on the floor acting as a gauge when driving, I practised how each position felt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts