Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that disks get rusty if cars not used for a couple of days but this usually disappears after a couple of uses of the brake. But today I drove into town and back, which is just over a couple of miles and noticed the rear discs were still covered in rust. Not sure this is right.

IMAG3757.jpg

·
Registered
539 Posts
Can rust very quickly when you drive along roads with salt, (those big crystals don't dissolve quickly). Rear brakes don't do very much on light braking, all you can really do is find a quiet straight road, check nothing behind and brake heavily to see if that scrubs them clean.

If car is new pads might not have fully bedded in which is why you are getting the uneven rings on disc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Possibly you need to give the brakes and wheels a bit of a clean with a fall out remover.
This works by attacking the rust oxide and dissolving it, with loosens any iron fall out from the wheels and disks.
Iron fall out comes from the brake dust, and will clean off the salt deposits too which are also causing the rusting.
Notice that you have tar deposits on the rims as well, so the wheel fall out like Iron-X, Auto Finesse Fall out Remover or Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels.
Bilt hamber is expensive but it works.. leave to dwell on the wheels for 5 mins, Then jet wash it off.
Only thing with these iron fall out removers is that they smell awful, so some wear a mask and I would say definitely wear protective gloves.
lots of videos on these products on online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had front Discs & Pads replaced @ 6000 miles due to constant grinding & corrosion, now rear discs are corroded, (12000 miles) warranty wont replace them.
Replaced front discs are still like new after a further 6000 miles. Obviously there is a problem. I will be pursuing Seat for answers & warranty replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi
I had just the same problem with my last car a golf GT. Told by the vw garage Darlington that it was because my car was not garaged. I responded by saying that all the cars on the forecourt are not garaged either. The manager's response was that all those cars have their break discs replaced probably every 6 months!! One of my reasons to change to a SEAT garage. I hope it's not a case of out of the frying pan etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What a load of BULL from that VW Garage, NO Garage spends out replacing the disks every 6 months. its not cost effective.
I would have told the guy he was talking out of ass.
Some Garages really come out with the biggest load of shit...
They spray them with an iron remover/brake Cleaner solution which helps also retard rust reforming. won't stop it but will help.

New brake disks are stored with a oil coating to prevent rust forming, when you fit new disks they need to be cleaned off with a cleaner solution. if not then the pads can become contaminated and not work as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts