Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using sat nav recently. I was approaching the A 66 and had reached the slip road when my sat nav suddenly told me to turn left and the map showed a route through and around a small village then back to the slip road!!! I didn't take the advise. Later, on the A66 with 30 miles still to go I was constantly told to go straight ahead when passing small junctions . Is all this normal? Is there going to be updates to correct this confusing advise?

·
Registered
540 Posts
There does seem to be some questions with how upto date the maps are, that are supplied with new Aronas. Yesterday I drove along A556 and it was convinced I was off road as the dual carriageway is clearly missing

On the other hand it successfully rerouted me around stationary traffic caused by an accident on M6, I actually tried to ignore it whilst a passenger looked at road map only to run into different congestion so it can be smarter than I expected at times as the country lanes it chose were all clear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am just getting used to my Arona. I wondered why I was given three options on routes. I think (but stand to be corrected) that they are, in order, quickest, most economical and avoiding tolls (or even motorways!) . There is an option to change this to quickest only in Navigation Settings.
If option 2 or 3 is chosen, it will make a decision to take you off major roads, then will recalculate and decide that it's best to go back on to them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The three are shortest, quickest and most economical. They're times when all 3 pretty much match or there are others that if for example you pick shortest, will take you off a motorway over the top and back on again as it may well be 0.00001 mile shorter. Best used as a guide I found. The maps can only be updated in the UK by buying new sd cards, the maps are released twice a year usually around May and November.

G

·
Have you tried FullLink and using Android Auto/CarPlay?

That would give you the perk of using Google Maps / Waze etc. and would offer a much more reliable routing thanks to live traffic information.

With iOS12 for example, Google Maps should now be good to use (wasn't featured previously) and Waze coming shortly after.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the habit of plugging in my phone as soon as I get in the car, using android auto with Google maps or waze. I do sometimes use the built in satnav just to hear how many things are mispronounced, can cheer you up on a long journey. Does baffle me how poor it is compared to others. On my seat Leon was regularly told to stay on the road for A LONG TIME. always followed by me and the wife saying "LOVE YOU LONG TIME JOE" S.... Y F... Y. 5 DOLLAR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just had a little trip down some 2 year old roads and there not on the map we should not have to use android auto we have payed for a nav system
and it should work properly
by the way my car was built in week 36

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Davyboy
My thoughts exactly. I've used many sat navs and never had one to send me on a circular tour when I am less than thirty yards from the main A66!
I do hope there will be an upgrade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Davyboy
Do you think the update would improve the performance greatly or just marginally?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Used the satnav for the first time yesterday.
Absolute waste of time. Kept telling me to do a u turn even though I was heading in the right direction.
Only useful bit was when I got to a couple of roads away from my destination and enlarged the map and could then see where I was in relation to where I actually wanted to be!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've just driven from Suffolk to Bradwell on Sea in Essex. As we passed Ipswich the SatNav wanted me to go through the town, rather than stay on A14/A12, it then tried to take me into Colchester. A few miles further on the A12, at Marks Tey, it asked me to turn off to Stansted Airport! I was then told to deviate from the A12 at two other towns.
On the return, it immediately said 'recalculating route due to six mile queue on A12. There was no queue or any delay. By now I was ignoring instructions but listening for the entertainment value. As I travelled North towards Suffolk, I was told on two separate occasions to turn right, whilst driving at 70mph on the A12 where there were no junctions. It then wanted me to turn off at Ipswich, again, then Stowmarket.

I now understand why I got lost on my first week with the car, in France. I was aiming for the Port of Dunkirk and the SatNav was programmed for that destination but it kept telling me to do U turns on the autoroute and deviate into the suburbs.

During my Essex trip, I used different settings for route guidance,
Show three options
Fastest
Economy
Shortest
All produced similar results.
Is anyone aware of a fix, please?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got mine back from dealer today. Apparently I have SatNav version 5 which has known faults. They could order a version 4 card for me in about 2 weeks, or I could wait until Jan/Feb when the new version 6 will be available. I'll wait for v6.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi number6
How much are they charging for this "upgrade"? Surely it should be on warranty considering they no of faults!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
They told me that they would normally charge for an update but as my car was delivered with a dodgy v5 (they are not correcting v5) that v6 would be free, under warranty, as a one-off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.