Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I had my second test drive. First one was with a excellence model and was only 20 min, did not take it to the highway. My second test drive was with an FR model.

First thing I noticed was that the suspension makes "whaling" noise when moving changing direction forward -backward- forward. The suspension of the FR model felt also much much harder than the excellence model. I am not sure of this because first test drive was not long and was almost a month ago. Is the Suspension of the FR model really so much harder?

First model had a manual gear but stepping on the pedal felt normal acceleration. The FR model had a DSG, but felt really nervous acceleration. Also changing the profile to eco or normal did not change this behaviour.

I only tried full connect during second test-drive but it kept disconnecting. When it was connected I could not hear music although the timer was moving. On my list I had an Skoda Octavia there I did not have any issues using full link it connected faster and stayed connected the whole time.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Xcelence has comfort suspension, the FR has much firmer sports suspension, and sports seats. If you are older with creaky bones, probably best to avoid FR as it is lot harder

That whaling sound sounds like dirty brake discs, wonder if it has been parked up in wet while ago, or handbrake had not been fully released

DSG learn your driving style, it reacts a bit consistent with how you drive, could be the previous person was very gentle. I'm not sure ECO does much apart from slow a/c and use start/stop more (happy to be corrected) so seems more of a gimmick setting in my mind

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with all of that Snowdaddy. . Eco on the FR can only lessen air con drain by making it slower to act and can do something similar to the throttle response . For me, gradient of road is the biggie via a basic law of physics.

My aged bones put up happily with a bit more jarring to get more stability in corners. Hate cars that wallow or bounce . If Skodas ticked folk's box then buy a Skoda. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers.

The dealers test Car was used right before me, so it was not standing still long. The Sound it made did not seem to come from the brakes but more from the suspension. And was hearable when putting the car in reverse, drive a back few meters and then forward again. Handbrake was released fully.

I do like how the Arona looks, but I also do want it to be comfortable for long drives.

I will go by the dealer this week again and ask to test drive the excellence model. Like I said the first drive was pleasurable, but the second one much less.
On my shortlist are:
1. Arona (which I doubt now)
2. Skoda Octavia
3. Volkswagen Golf Varian.

I currently drive a Toyota Auris TS Hybrid a bit dull outside but drives really good. If the development of this model would be up to Octavia and Golf models (like adaptive cruise control etc.) I would probably choose the same

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I have a FR Sport and love it!
It is set on 'individual' sport steering, sport performance but critically normal suspension. You can only do this on the FR Sport I think and you get alcantara seats and original stitched leather effect
dashboard trim. Recommend.

Keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi I have the standard FR model and love the handling , and suspension . It's not firm I would say but feels more responsive round corners.
I use the drive mode in the individual setting so Adapts to my style of driving which is giving me mid 50's at betweeen 53-57 MPG for town and motorways then if on motorways with a 50 limit I have got 60mpg once.
Very happy with it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good to see some positivity

Here's a what caused the recall and current fix. Got mine booked for Friday. Looks pretty stable for that type of testing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have an FR DSG. we like the setup but we are in our 30's. feels relatively sporty. The DSG is really good for saying its the 7 speed. (we liked the 6 speed in our previous Yeti). It's really is so smooth you can't feel it change gear even with your foot to the floor. Just a shame the start/stop is C**p so stays turned off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts