Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just seen this article from Autocar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-and-seat-seatbelt-issue-passengers-advised-not-use-middle-seat

There seems to be a design flaw with the rear seatbelts in the Arona, Ibiza, and VW Polo; when the car has 5 passengers and a rapid manoeuvre such as changing lanes is executed, the rear left seatbelt will release itself!

A recall will probably be issued imminently, but current Seat is recommending that the rear middle seatbelt is not used.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Interestingly I've google this and only one other motoring magazine makes mention. I've been to the dealers this afternoon and no mention then and nothing on the website. You'd think with an issue like this they'd be making purchasers aware at the earliest opportunity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen it's mentioned on some German websites too now.

You'd think they'd make people aware but from the articles I've read on it, it seems like Seat and VW might be waiting to find a solution before they start informing customers and issuing a recall.

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't rally understand why the clips are different heights as the seat base doesn't move. I guess they are trying to find a way to shorten the longer cable without having to cut it, I guess it'll be some sort of clamp into the boot floor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How did we survive before google translate, useful info though.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quick work dolphin. Hope the mobile charger issue can be rectified at the same time, albeit only a legal one concerning boosting signals! Prefer the list of gremlins not to get any longer for now. Cheers for posting the Seat link, which shares the same date of today as the El Pais article.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine went into the dealers last week, was there for 4 days. As far as I am aware they haven't done anything regards the signal booster nor was it mentioned to me. Either it's not needed or it's been done on the quiet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer to say that they have been told not to register any new cars until the seatbelt situation is resolved. The dealer had planned to release the new cars and then recall them when the parts had arrived for the fix. Now they've been told not to release the cars for safety reasons.

I was due to get mine in the next couple of weeks, having placed the order on 12th January. Clearly, the dealer is powerless to do anything about it as the proclamation comes directly from Seat UK.

The seatbelt design flaw is yet another in a long line of delays in getting these cars built and on the road. I will wait to get my car first and then have a serious chat to Seat UK.

For those of you waiting for your new cars imminently, please check with your dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't understand issue as I collected mine yesterday and just had to sign an agreement not to carry 3 passengers in the rear ( no middle seat passenger ) until recall work is done. If this was an issue then dealer couldn't release car until work done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dealer said that what you describe is exactly what they were doing until this morning when they got a new advice from Seat UK which was not to register the cars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like how I find out about these safety issues from this forum but get told nothing from the dealer. We often carry my son and our 2 nieces in the back which means using the centre seat. If only it wasn't a motability car. We could get rid of the bloody thing and get something else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Children are valuable cargo so I am sure you will not drive in the way the Nordic journalists did to produce the sort of violent lateral forces which caused the middle strap release to open the left side passenger's belt Otherwise agree with everything you said.

Just read today the car does not do well in the 'moose test' - violent evasive action driving, that Spanish journalists have carried out on the Arona. So even more incentive to avoid boy racer behaviour.
[ I met a small herd of cattle on a narrow Pyrenees road last month but tend to drive defensively so was only in danger of their heads scratching the paintwork when they ambled by both sides of my stationary car ! ]

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm sure it is ok most of the time but you never know when you might have to take evasive action. I just can't understand why the dealerships aren't ringing round customers. Just a recorded message would do. just think how much $### they will be in if someone was injured or worse as a result of this and they hadn't bothered to tell the customers even though Seat knew about it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I emailed my local dealer when it first came up.on the the forum. They were unaware of the issue. A couple of days later I got another email back to say they had received a bulletin from seat UK but nothing more since. Just another thing on the list of many that it will be going back in for :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts