Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 SE Technology
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 18 plate Arona SE Technology. Last week I took a bend at about 50mph and felt a kind of sideways skittering, possibly coming from the rear wheels. My girlfriend (who doesn't tend to drive quite as fast as I do but does drive a Mini) also noticed it and said she had felt the same thing when she had driven the car another time.

I figured it must be the ESC system so yesterday I disabled it but as I went around the exact same bend, the same thing happened again. This kind of drdrdrdrd sensation. I'm fairly sure that I've driven this bend at a similar speed in my old '03 Fabia many times and all that would happen would be horrible body-roll.

If this isn't the traction control kicking in, is it just the way an SUV skids? I'm slightly disappointed as I had heard so much good stuff about the Arona's driving dynamics. I'm not used to driving SUVs though so maybe my expectations were just a bit too high. Everything else about the Arona seems good.

I guess it could be something unique to the road surface on that bend…

·
Registered
619 Posts
@Slake What make and type of tyres do you have fitted (if you can read what they say on the side and let us know, or edit your post to add this info)

My hunch is that someone has put on some cheap budget tyres (commonly known for obvious reasons as ditchfinders). As you are discovering they are struggling to grip when driven around corners, and you don’t need to be a genius to work out if they struggle in dry weather, go to be dreadful in bad weather

·
Registered
2022 Arona FR 1.5 DSG
46 Posts
@Slake What make and type of tyres do you have fitted (if you can read what they say on the side and let us know, or edit your post to add this info)

My hunch is that someone has put on some cheap budget tyres (commonly known for obvious reasons as ditchfinders). As you are discovering they are struggling to grip when driven around corners, and you don’t need to be a genius to work out if they struggle in dry weather, go to be dreadful in bad weather
As above and check tyre pressures

·
Registered
18 SE Technology
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyres are Hankook Ventus Prime 3 on the back and Sumitomo BC100 on the front. All 205/55 R17 and good tread depth.

I'll have to wait til I'm at the garage to check pressure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Hankook Ventus Prime 3 are originally fitted by the manufacturer from new (or at least they are on mine). Can't comment on Sumitomo as that's a new one on me.

I've never noticed the effect you are experiencing but we do have a particular bend on one of our local roads which has worn to produce rather strange corrugations which cause a 'drdrdrdrdr' drumming sensation just as you describe. Could be similar?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tyres are Hankook Ventus Prime 3 on the back and Sumitomo BC100 on the front. All 205/55 R17 and good tread depth.

I'll have to wait til I'm at the garage to check pressure.
The Hankook Ventus prime 3 are probably what the car came with (check the date code, a 4 digit number usually near the rim, 2 digits are week number, second 2 are year), would expect it about 2 months before car built.

The Sumitomo tyres will be the problem, they are cheap, probably put on due to worn tread prior to someone offloading the car who did job on cheap rather than what would give fair Road holding

Realistically need to replace those Sumitomo tyres. The Ventus prime 3 have been superseded by Ventus prime 4. But in UK don’t really want summer tyres due to our climate. So I would suggest getting all seasons, and the current best (in my view) are Michelin cross climate 2

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Hankook Ventus prime 3 are probably what the car came with (check the date code, a 4 digit number usually near the rim, 2 digits are week number, second 2 are year), would expect it about 2 months before car built.

The Sumitomo tyres will be the problem, they are cheap, probably put on due to worn tread prior to someone offloading the car who did job on cheap rather than what would give fair Road holding

Realistically need to replace those Sumitomo tyres. The Ventus prime 3 have been superseded by Ventus prime 4. But in UK don’t really want summer tyres due to our climate. So I would suggest getting all seasons, and the current best (in my view) are Michelin cross climate 2
if you decide on Michelin cross climate 2s be prepared to pay up to £140 each for your size.

·
Registered
18 SE Technology
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the Hankooks have 0518 on them which is consistent with the reg. The Sumitomo's do have a code ending 4921 in a similar vein so were probably put on much more recently. All makes sense. Ideally a complete new set is in order but with the recent outlay for the car itself I think I'll wait until winter at least and just drive a bit more leisurely in the meantime. All the gear change recommendations and 'when braking, do not engage clutch' warnings are kinda making me drive with less acceleration anyway! Probably for the best…

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another possibility wlll be a busted rear shock. It happened to me once in the old days driving a Fiat Tempra. I went sideways with no aparent reason, later I found a leaking rear shock without any dampening effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts