1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just taken delivery of my SE Tech.
So far, so good, with one exception.
Really disappointed with the audio system. I wasn't given the option of upgrading it during the ordering process.
Anyone know how easy it would be to get it upgraded by a third party company?
I know you could get a better system further up the range, but it would have been crazy to spend the extra as I would be doing so just for the audio system as I don't need the other bits and pieces.
Cheers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi 'AndyK'. Interesting what you say about the standard stereo. By the way, you don't get anything better if you go up the range. I have an XCL Lux on order and that comes with the same stereo as yours. I am sure you could go to an aftermarket audio place and see what they can offer. Just be careful that by fitting something aftermarket, you don't invalidate the manufacturer's warranty. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maziac. Well, the Excellence First Edition comes with the Beats audio according to the brochure. That system is offered as a £350 upgrade for the Ibiza I believe. If so, I'm really disappointed it's not offered for the Arona.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as you guys, however after picking my car up yesterday I am pleasantly surprised at the standard system. The only real difference with the Beats Audio system is the addition of an amplifier and the subwoofer in the boot, which I'm not really sure is needed from the day I've spent with the standard system. I'll report back in a few weeks after I've had time to get used to it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the standard system, was disappointed not having the beats but after playing around with the settings not to bad. Time will tell how long the speakers will last without rattling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
olliechambers1 said:
I am pleasantly surprised at the standard system. The only real difference with the Beats Audio system is the addition of an amplifier and the subwoofer in the boot, which I'm not really sure is needed from the day I've spent with the standard system.
I agree. I had thought the Beats system involved replacing the standard system, but as olliechambers1has pointed out, it seems not to. The quality of the basic system is very good and the best I have had of my previous cars.

The rest of this can be ignored but may be relevant.

I used to work for a top end UK HiFi manufacturer. I did some R&D programming work on their loudspeakers but I am not an expert although I had access to the expertise of my colleagues in the firm and the best HiFi in the "listening room" in the factory.

Personally I think a lot of nonsense is talked about, and money spent on buying HiFi. The average, non professional, listener actually cannot tell the difference beyond a certain level of "quality". This is under ideal listening room conditions. Now if you take a car and put your good quality HiFi in it and belt down a motorway or run down the High Street the background noise, outside and inside, is the main factor, not the system.

You can improve frequency response by the addition of woofers (say Beats) and tweeters and equalisation filters, but unless you improve the quality of your overall system and the environment in which you listen then you might just be wasting your money. Much of the pleasure of HiFi is purely subjective and we fool ourselves into paying lots of money for a very small, if any, objective improvement.

I would say though that if people want to put Boom Boom systems in and it gives them pleasure, then go for it. But always listen to potential HiFi in as close an environment to your own. If it sounds good and your pleasure is worth what extra you pay then get out the purse. So sitting in a car with and without Beats, on the move, is the only objective way to decide.

·
Registered
299 Posts
After seeing some beats stuff on eBay, think it was removed from a polo beats, the pictures showed the amp to be made by Panasonic and the speakers by a company in Hungary who appear to make alot of oem car speakers. So it look like your paying for the name and the eaquilizer programme. My HTC uses beats based equaliser so if I use Bluetooth music there is a marked difference in the tone. I suspect as mentioned other than an kncrease in the lower frequencies not really worth the expense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
olliechambers1 said:
I was thinking along the same lines as you guys, however after picking my car up yesterday I am pleasantly surprised at the standard system. The only real difference with the Beats Audio system is the addition of an amplifier and the subwoofer in the boot, which I'm not really sure is needed from the day I've spent with the standard system. I'll report back in a few weeks after I've had time to get used to it!
Any photos of your car?. I have ordered exactly the same !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seat say Beats system can't be retro fitted. So I'm going to get a small active sub fitted under the drivers seat. I'm pretty sure that will give me the sound I'm looking for.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just had a small Kenwood sub fitted under the drivers seat, and the bass is much better. Anyone know how I can find out the spec of the door speakers? Sizes, impedance etc. Might they be the same as the Ibiza?

·
Registered
75 Posts
AndyK said:
I've just had a small Kenwood sub fitted under the drivers seat, and the bass is much better. Anyone know how I can find out the spec of the door speakers? Sizes, impedance etc. Might they be the same as the Ibiza?
They are exactly the same as in the Ibiza.

Personally I was looking into getting these fitted: https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/focal-volkswagenr/is-165-vw and https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/focal-volkswagenr/ic-165-vw. They're a direct replacement to the stock speakers (in terms of size and impedance) and don't require any adaptors or chopping up of the factory wiring. The only thing is you have to drill out the original speakers as they're rivited in place, and then rivet the new ones in place. And the front tweeters in the pillars would need to be glued in place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts