Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone else experienced issues with their start stop function on their Arona.

I've had my car for just over 3 weeks now and the start stop function works intermittently.

The message appears as soon as I turn the car on and will then never engage as long as I have the car turned on. This includes if I turn the button off and on again.

The only way to get it to turn itself back on is to switch the car off and back on and eventually it will reactivate.

It's not a big deal as I'm not bothered at having the start stop function but if it's on the car I want it to work.

It's in the dealers today and they can't find any fault with it which is typical as it's not acting up today.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The start stop system doesn't work in certain situations:

Just after starting until engine warmed up
If battery is heavily used (often applies when wipers and lights used nearly all time in winter)
If a/c is needed (so often won't cut in on sunny days above about 30c)
On a diesel, if it is in regenerative mode

If you are not aware of some of these, they will appear random at first

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it normal to get the error message then as it does it at least once a day and won't work at all once the error message has come on.

I understand it has to charge as had it in a couple of my cars before but if I get the error message when it starts it won't work for any of the journey.

I travel 20 miles to work each day so would expect it to be able to work for part of the journey but it doesn't.

No aircon on or lights etc and it still comes up with the error.

If it's normal to get the error code then it's a bit weird. On both of my old cars I had an A icon that would turn green once the start stop was ready.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What Error message do you get?

is this in the MFD or if you go into the car mode on the end unit, does it display any error messages.

As with out knowing what error message you are seeing it is difficult to know what the issue is.
If it a warning message/error message coming UP, have you been back the to Garage and asked?

they maybe able to give you a better explanation as to what is happening, or recommend it come in to the garage for work, as could be a sensor fault or something else.
Best to go to the Garage if you are unsure. its under warranty...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture shows the error I get. It comes on as soon as the car starts. I took it to the dealers yesterday and it didn't do it but as soon as I got home it did it again and has done it all day again today.

When the error message comes on it goes off but then if you turn the start stop button off and back on again later into the journey it will just give you the error message again and start stop won't work.

According to the dealership they say this is normal but I'm not so sure. I have s friend who works for Volkswagen and has had multiple Seats and she's never had this message come up on any of them.

Like I said it doesn't overly bother me as start stop can be a bit annoying, I just wondered if anyone else has had this error message come on?

I did read on the Ateca forum that one person kept getting the error message and it turned out that it was the infotainment system draining the battery and they had to replace the whole system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would suggest get back into your dealer and show them the picture of the error message.
If it is a Infotainment system fault causing this maybe it does not have the latest firmware, or as you say it is faulty.
Otherwise it is something else which could cause other issues.

Go To THE GARAGE, Don't much about its in Warranty and this could be a safety issue, what if the start stop suddenly kicks in on the motorway with loss of all power..
Get it checked in PDQ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same problem on my 6 week old FR. Took into a dealer who took three hours to diagnose faulty vac valve/pump. Waited about a week for replacement. They fitted the new one and touch wood it has been fine since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My fix is to NOT start the car as soon as you turn the ignition on.

Ignition on, put seat belt on, turn engine on. Works perfectly EVERY time, unless you forget the routine. I suspect it's a boot-up thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Stop start !!! Mine doesn't work either, been back to the dealers,the infotainment system states that the vehicle power consumption is high ! they did an overnight charge as they say my low mileage may cause the battery to not charge fully , hence why my stop start doesn't work .
Picked it up from the dealers last Thursday after having the overnight charge., worked for one day!
Took my Arona Fr on a long journey (50 miles)to see if that would charge up the battery , don't have anything else turned on, no fan,no aircon, no phone charge etc etc. Still says vehicle power consumption is high!
Back at the dealership this morning, the top technician keeps telling me he had to drive to Cornwall for his stop start to work ! I'm thinking really !!! Why should I have to drive hundreds of Miles in my 1 year old car just to get the stop start to work ??
Let's see what they say when I pick it up later

Seat Arona Fr TSi 1 litre 3 cylinder 68 plate . Eclipse orange/ black roof

·
Registered
184 Posts
MrsMagoo said:
Back at the dealership this morning, the top technician keeps telling me he had to drive to Cornwall for his stop start to work ! I'm thinking really !!! Why should I have to drive hundreds of Miles in my 1 year old car just to get the stop start to work ??
I cannot imagine why a supposedly 'top technician' would make such a crazy statement. VW/Audi group's stop/start system has been around some time - it was fitted on my 13-plate Audi and never caused any problem despite only covering an average of 3500 miles per year! Make it clear to the dealer that you're not being fobbed-off and demand it's sorted under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's still in the dealership, the technician called me and firstly apologised for talking to me the way he did this morning, it didn't really bother me, but 3 gentlemen sitting in the waiting area, commented that he shouldn't have spoken to me the way he did, they reported him .
So, at present it still says no faults found, yet the stop stop still doesn't work, vehicle power consumption is high, everything was turned off apart from the engine. So the technician took something off the battery (charge port unit) or something alone those lines. Kept it off my vehicle for about 15 minutes , then re- fitted it .......stop start worked!
They will order a new charge port unit and fit it , fingers crossed it will sort it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good to hear you're making progress. Can't say I've ever heard of a 'charge port unit' but let's hope by replacing it your stop/start problem is resolved. Your experience and, (fingers crossed), resolution should be useful for others who may have similar problems in the future.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When first started I usually get a message banner at the very top of the main display 'START STOP STATUS'.
Clicking on this often advises that Start/Stop is not activated until cabin temperature reaches required level'. Not sure what the level is but it doesn't take long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power consumption is high - exactly the same message all the time preventing start stop from working. Taken to SEAT, could not find fault. Message sent by garage to SEAT 6 weeks ago - said I would have response in 2 days. Nothing received. Phoned and left message a week ago with garage as person away - no call back. Do they know there is a problem but do not want to admit to it? Provided a courtesy car when in garage - it also had the same fault!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
number6 said:
When first started I usually get a message banner at the very top of the main display 'START STOP STATUS'.
Clicking on this often advises that Start/Stop is not activated until cabin temperature reaches required level'. Not sure what the level is but it doesn't take long.
There are multiple different messages (forget exact wording)
Engine required to cool cabin
Engine not at operating temperature
High electrical load (due to heated rear window, mirrors, seats etc)
Engine restarted as car in front moved off

Start/stop unlikely to work for first few minutes (longer in winter) because of these

These are normal, but should be active after this, if it isn't there must be something odd with battery or voltage detection circuit. If garage doesn't know on quick fault scan, insist their electrical master tech checks properly the battery voltage as it might have iffy cell and need replacement

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.