Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soon-to-be-traded-in Kia Cee'd has a start stop system that receives poor comments on the Cee'd forums. It works rarely or does not charge the battery. On the diesel I have it requires a gel battery and corresponding external charger for gel batteries.

It works for me except that the battery is only charged by the car on the overrun. Since we do a lot of short journeys that means, in winter especially, the car gets put on the charger every week or so, otherwise the battery runs down.

So, how do people find the equivalent Arona Stop Start system?
Is it a gel battery allowing me to use my gel battery charger?

Cheers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The stop start system will only activate if there is sufficient charge in the system. So if you do short journeys the computer may decide that there is insufficient charge so will automatically disable the stop/start system. I can't speak for my arona test as only had it a couple of weeks but my previous tiguan had stop/start and we had no issues with that over the 12 months I ran it. I believe the vag system is quite intelligent in its workings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As me it mentioned by Dolphinfriendly, the Arona uses a similar system to the VW in that it measures certain parameters before the stop start feature with activate. Yes it's a gel battery, most (not all) cars fitted with star/stop functionality use one quite simply a lead acid battery will only accept a charge once it warms up. Hope this helps👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's more info on parameters of stop/start
7B4CAD1F-90F6-46E6-BB85-BE495B584792.png

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kia Cee'd system is pretty much the same idea. However there appeared to be a plethora of dissatisfied owners whose systems apparently did not work to spec. In some cases it turned out to be a faulty battery. In others, who knows, hence my interest in experiences here. It sounds as thought the Arona system performs flawlessly.

However, even with flawless performance, as in my own soon-to-be-ex Cee'd, batteries were not being adequately charged. The higher spec electronic-rich versions ran down batteries even when parked.

Excuse my wariness however. I am glad to see no such battery and Stop-Start problems with the Arona (or is it too early to tell :? ?).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a VW Caddy blue motion for work purposes, this has stop/start running on a factory fit gel battery. Working out of this vehicle all week for the last 3 years I've never suffered a flat battery and my van is punished being out in the cold open, interior lights on for periods and power tools being charged she's never let me down yet!&#x1f64f-1f3fb;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.