Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst reading through the manual I came across this section and I have copied and pasted it.

"Unleaded super plus 98 octane petrol or super 95 octane petrol at least"

"We recommend refuelling with super plus 98 octane petrol (93 AKI). If not available: super 95 octane petrol (91 AKI) (with a slight power loss)."

Just wondering how many members are actually using super unleaded.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use it sometimes, car runs better at low revs, and fuel consumption seems better. Usually the super unleaded also has premium additives and lower percentage ethanol which is further bonus.

Haven't actually measured the consumption but seems to do 20-35 more miles before the low fuel light comes on when on super unleaded. Suggests about 8-9% extra.

Just worked out that is equivalent to 11 per litre premium (based on regular unleaded at 128p) so must check price difference at pump, as now realise best to use super (unless priced too high)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've used Shell V-Power from new with one top up of Tesco ordinaire. However I probably will move to Tesco Momentum to see if it makes any difference and because Shell's new loyalty scheme penalises lower mileage drivers (points per fill, not points per litre), also I don't think VP warrants the premium over Momentum. Both VP and Momentum are 98.

I have done nearly 6000 miles in a year and average 46mpg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always use Tesco Momentum.

Someone will come along in a moment and say it's all the same stuff from the same refineries. This is true, but the additive package added at the final stage is different.

Personally, I care more about the cleaning of the engine than any performance or economy gains. The detergents in the additive package keeps the fuel system clean.

You can of course buy and add your own additive, but there are warranty implications to consider. Any problems with the fuel system, where an off-the-shelf additive has been used, they have been known to blame the additive.

Obviously if the additive has come from a fuel pump, they can't blame it for any issues, as it meets standards.

Standard unleaded also contains cleaning detergents, but usually far less than super unleaded.

Just my view. You will find people can argue about this subject for days. I've seen it on other forums! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BenC said:
I always use Tesco Momentum.

Someone will come along in a moment and say it's all the same stuff from the same refineries. This is true, but the additive package added at the final stage is different.

Personally, I care more about the cleaning of the engine than any performance or economy gains. The detergents in the additive package keeps the fuel system clean.

You can of course buy and add your own additive, but there are warranty implications to consider. Any problems with the fuel system, where an off-the-shelf additive has been used, they have been known to blame the additive.

Obviously if the additive has come from a fuel pump, they can't blame it for any issues, as it meets standards.

Standard unleaded also contains cleaning detergents, but usually far less than super unleaded.

Just my view. You will find people can argue about this subject for days. I've seen it on other forums! :D
Ben,,I agree entirely

·
Registered
62 Posts
For all but one refill where there was no Super Unleaded available I use Tesco Momentum, purely because SEAT recommend using the higher octane rating and I think being such a small engine it needs all the help it can get!

·
Registered
108 Posts
PETE said:
HAD MY ARONA FR 1.5cc TSI OVER 12 MONTHS ALWAYS USED SHELL V-POWER
I have heard V-Power is the best. I would like to use it but a Shell station is quite a rare sight in this part of the country.

We seem to be dominated by BP and Esso down here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The section quoted from the manual is one of two examples of the text you may find inside the fuel flap. The manual also indicates that the required fuel grade in indicated on the fuel flap. For the 1.0l 115PS this is Super 95. This is also confirmed in the Technical Section of the manual. So it does not make sense to pay extra for a fuel that the engine has not been designed for. Using different fuel suppliers will however give different detergents and additives which may benefit the engine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The manual at page 311 states that "at least" 95 octane should be used and that Super unleaded 98 octane plus is" recommended". Based on that and my fuel cap stating a minimum of 95 octane should be used, I shall continue as before with the recommended Super Unleaded. I am not knowledgeable enough to make a judgement that SEAT is wrong in their recommendation ;) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with your statement on page 311, but the paragraph before the one quoted states that "at least" 91 octane should be used and that unleaded 95 octane plus is" recommended" so the question is which one applies and for that a reference to the detailed Technical Data, page 349, for the 1.0 l 115Ps engine clearly states Super 95. Clearly this the technical recommendation of SEAT for that engine. If you look further none of the petrol engines in the Technical Data section require Super 98.

·
Registered
62 Posts
@supersnail - Having read that pages quoted I agree with you. The manual is not clear and indeed is contradictory. I take comfort in the footnote on page 311 "fuel with an octane rating higher than the one required by the engine can be used. I'll continue with the 98 octane but take comfort that if it's not available then 95 will do just fine :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts