Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
see my post I have the same issue I was going to ask it on the leon forum as well

·
Registered
355 Posts
You cannot view text messages on the screen.
as this is now illegal and is classed as the same as reading your message directly from the phone.
Using Text messaging on the iPhone is only available via Car Play, and this uses Siri to read and you dictate the message.
You need to have your iPhone connected via the USB cable for it to work.
Follow the instructions on how to setup the phone with CarPlay. also view videos only on how to do this as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for That Was not aware of that as next-door neighbour has it in is Ford
But will it not read the text from the head unit using voice control

·
Registered
355 Posts
No it will only speak the text via Apple Car Play.
and it needs to have Siri activated.
the Phone also needs to be connected via the USB port for Apple Car Play to work.
No Wireless Car Play on these head units.
Make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest iOS 11.0 and above. Current iOS is 11.2.6

Any old system which displays the text in the new laws will be deemed as using your phone whilst driving, so be careful.
I think a lot are getting this removed in firmware updates.

Also make sure that you do not have the do not disturb whilst driving switched on in settings in the iPhone, as this may suppress text messages.
But I think it is meant to switch off via Car Play, Would need to check this with Apple Support to verify.

Since a friend got seriously injured by an idiot using his mobile, i am not very anti-people on phones in cars.
He is alive and recovering, but he cannot run around with his son any more, and has missed so much because of this one thoughtless act.
So excuse me if I seem a bit blunt in other messages.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry to here That
but thanks for All the interesting Info just found out you can only use Apple car play while connected to Mobile data
so Seat Voice is the only option and as you say it must be omitted

·
Registered
355 Posts
I get 6GB data for 15£ a month on GiffGaff, as I tend to buy the phone outright and keep it a long time, until no updates are available and basically forced to change. LOL
So for me its not a issue for the mobile data.
get a cheap data plan on your mobile as it does not use masses of data airtime for Siri and CarPlay.
Then you will be able to benefit from using it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Gazza
Jus checked you can see text message and read them did not get alert ? and voice control will read them
The mistake I was making you have to receive them while Bluetooth connected and if you open them on your phone the car inbox then shows empty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts