Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just been informed of this by my local dealer.
Was hoping to collect my new Arona (SE Tech in Nevada White with black roof) later this week.
Dealer was very apologetic and confirmed that they would honour the original deal as regards trade in value etc. No date given for fix.

Currently considering my options as regards continuing with deal, stay with current car ( Hyundai i20) or purchase another vehicle.
Apparently VW affected as well as Seat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I cant see a bolt on part holding things up for too long if at all.
Hang in there is my advice it will be worth it I am sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picked up my xl this morning and was advised by the dealer as mine was reg on Friday i could have it with the understanding that when the mod was issued they would call me, any cars waiting to be reg as from today will not be released until mod has been done ( They still don't know what needs to be done yet as VAG have not released any details yet )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad you got to pick up your car BombersDad. We picked our registration from the list on Sunday but when we went to see the car just off the transporter yesterday our salesman confirmed that until they get the seatbelt fix that they are not allowed to register it. No idea when our delivery date will be

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think most people are the forum have been aware of this issue since the 9th May, but other than those who have been told by the dealer they can't have their car due to this recall has anyone heard from seat or their dealers that a recall is in place. I know I haven't and considering I've just been onto the phone to Seat and given my vehicle details they haven't mentioned it. I can only assume they are relying on the press to inform everybody and word of mouth.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dolphinfriendly1012 said:
I think most people are the forum have been aware of this issue since the 9th May, but other than those who have been told by the dealer they can't have their car due to this recall has anyone heard from seat or their dealers that a recall is in place. I know I haven't and considering I've just been onto the phone to Seat and given my vehicle details they haven't mentioned it. I can only assume they are relying on the press to inform everybody and word of mouth.
See link, Letters will be going out in next few weeks regarding recall, and free of charge fix

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/newspage/allnews/company/2018/SEAT-gives-information-about-a-recall-on-the-current-Ibiza-generation-and-the-Arona-due-to-left-rear-seat-belt-issue.html

If you don't use left rear and middle seat together, might want to wait, especially if you have the phone signal booster, then get both updates done together

·
Registered
68 Posts
Noticed a thread on the Ateca forum concerning our rear seat belt woes and saw this photo from the Ateca rear seat

Having investigated my Arona just now I can see the issue seems caused by the fact the middle belt latch pulls out enough to be able to sit right on top of the FIXED rear left buckle release button, which is destined to forever sit below the middle release button holder .

Cannot see how an extra bolt is going to change things. The issue is the differential lengths of the release buckles. Incidentally, I could not reproduce a bad release until I stopped trying to do it by pushing vertically down, only when I pushed at 45 degree angle. But it definitely does release its neighbour in the rear left.
Image below is from the Ateca forum thread, courtesy of Bigcol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you tried reproducing the failure with the outer seat belt engaged? As you say you need to angle the centre buckle to release the outer catch. I found this was not possible with the outer belt plugged in, but very easy to do when it was unplugged.
Anyway, it must be me as I am sure all those experts cannot be wrong!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi keitht

Will take your word for it and makes sense to me, too. What doesn't , is the alleged claim from Seat that a bolt will fix it. Or perhaps that was just hearsay on here.

Redesigned belt lock feature is what the official release states but that fix has itself to be authorised/passed by the authorities, which is no doubt the main reason for the recall delay.

To my mind it has to involve lengthening the left hand buckle strap. Being fixed and too short has allowed this piggyback phenomenon and so, is a pretty daft design in the first place , by these experts at Seat design in my non expert opinion. :p

Still loving the car. Exhaust system a quality item that will last and I have spotted lots of under body protection in a very all tucked out of harm's way fashion. Makes the ground clearance more real if you know what I mean. Part of my journeys abroad are unavoidable greenlaning so just as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is very worrying as I have 3 children who are in the rear all the time ..
I will be ringing my dealer first thing tomorro morning to see what's happening

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear that Baggy. I had an idea which I just tried which basically was to push the middle buckle back into the seat cushion and when they are side by side, the problem disappears.

However, the design is clearly to ease the job of getting the middle strap up, for some reason, and it soon squirms its way up to the problem piggy back position. I wonder if you can shorten that longer strap say by tying the lower section in a knot or somehow securing it via piece of rubber cut to size to fit between the two buckles so it does not pop out and up?

The Seat mechanics may be the safest option to do the temporary shortening until this solution they broadcast as having found is passed by the authorities and put into action.

Be careful as there seems to be some sort of cable attached to the lower section of the buckle strap which is no doubt linked to the dashboard display for showing belts done up or otherwise, and you don't want to damage that cable. Good luck with what you can manage to sort with the garage as a stop gap measure to keep your brood safe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Screenshot_20180517-184212.png

Do you think it's would be possible to put a good quality tie wrap through the top half of the fabric section and then around the metal arm of the other belt bringing them into line?
Can't really see why both weren't put on metal brackets in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just received phone call to come and pick up my arona. registration authorisation rec.from seat .i will now be asked to bring the car in for modification to rear seat belt at a later date when new parts arrive .hooooray at last.from a very happy bunny!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone had or know when we can expect a letter from Seat on the recall or should that be recalls.? Am not going to phone selling dealer as I am testing their level of service without customer input. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've spoken to seat UK twice in the last week, granted it is regarding a different issue bit both times I have given my registration number and vehicle details and neither time I've they mentioned this issue, which being safety oriented you think it would be quite important. I believe vw have already been in touch with their owners of affected Polo's. In regards to the dealers I told them of the issue before they had been told be seat which was about 2 days later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Dolphin. Happy to wait my turn while young parents dive in first. But I still want to see how long Seat take to get in touch but also ensure I do not miss the boat. Parts can run out..

My local dealer good but the selling lot are more bulk buy and sell . Decided to email the salesman guy for his advice as he was excellent and worked very long hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.