Seat Arona Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

This Arona is my first new car... other cars have been bangers so never serviced them.

When should the first service be done. is it after a year or a set mileage? .... or when the car tells me to do it?

TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Usually 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. 10,000/1 year will be a minor service, and then a major service at 20,000/2 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
The car will tell you when it due. It depends on the type of driving you do, town, motorway. You can check how long is left, go to to the vehicle tab, setting and service that should give you estimated mileage till next service. Also depends if the car has long life oil in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Grim said:
The car will tell you when it due. It depends on the type of driving you do, town, motorway. You can check how long is left, go to to the vehicle tab, setting and service that should give you estimated mileage till next service. Also depends if the car has long life oil in.
The servicing schedule is still every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

You are correct that the car tells you when it's due, but it's just a simple countdown timer, it's not monitoring how you drive or testing the oil quality, it's not that smart. It's literally just counting down from 10,000 or 1 year.

The SEAT warranty requires the service schedule to be adhered to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Once the warranty runs out, I will get my local garage to carry out exactly the same service for half the cost of the Seat dealer. Will make no difference to the trade in value of the car, as long as the service book is stamped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Why not get your local garage to carry out the servicing from day 1? As long as:

- your independent garage adheres to the manufacturers servicing schedule.
- its not an extended warranty whereby the T's & C's may be different.
- you are in a finance agreement whereby the T's & C's specify that a SEAT approved workshop must be used.

Your warranty will not be affected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Wall Watcher. If that is the case, I'll certainly use my local garage and save £100+. I was concerned that my manufacturers warranty would be invalidated if services were not carried out by a Seat dealer during the warranty period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
The Wall Watcher said:
Why not get your local garage to carry out the servicing from day 1? As long as:

- your independent garage adheres to the manufacturers servicing schedule.
- its not an extended warranty whereby the T's & C's may be different.
- you are in a finance agreement whereby the T's & C's specify that a SEAT approved workshop must be used.

Your warranty will not be affected.
Yes, the warranty will still be valid, but only to the letter, and no goodwill.

A surprising number of warranty claims are "goodwill claims", where the warranty doesn't actually cover the fault (or has recently expired). The dealer will submit a goodwill claim, and these are often approved on the basis that the car hasn't left the dealer network.

I know some manufacturers (such as Toyota) will often approve a goodwill warranty claim up to 1 year after the warranty has expired, as long as the car has been serviced within their dealer network. I'm not sure how much goodwill SEAT offers, but there will be some.

So while you can save some cash by going to the independents, it's worth considering the potential downsides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
BenC said:
The Wall Watcher said:
Why not get your local garage to carry out the servicing from day 1? As long as:

- your independent garage adheres to the manufacturers servicing schedule.
- its not an extended warranty whereby the T's & C's may be different.
- you are in a finance agreement whereby the T's & C's specify that a SEAT approved workshop must be used.

Your warranty will not be affected.
Yes, the warranty will still be valid, but only to the letter, and no goodwill.

A surprising number of warranty claims are "goodwill claims", where the warranty doesn't actually cover the fault (or has recently expired). The dealer will submit a goodwill claim, and these are often approved on the basis that the car hasn't left the dealer network.

I know some manufacturers (such as Toyota) will often approve a goodwill warranty claim up to 1 year after the warranty has expired, as long as the car has been serviced within their dealer network. I'm not sure how much goodwill SEAT offers, but there will be some.

So while you can save some cash by going to the independents, it's worth considering the potential downsides.
That's certainly something to consider. Having bought a 12 month old model (regular readers will know I don't like buying brand new cars!) the next service will be the £240 (?) major service. I think I'll wait until nearer the time before deciding what to do. However I will perhaps will err on the side of caution and go with a main dealer, although the dealer will not be the one that supplied the car in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
scotti290586 said:
Mines in long life servicing, 2 years or 20,000 miles, check on the cars system
Mine is also showing that, even though I do mainly urban driving (with occasional long runs)
Possibly a default setting, or what dealer sets up in PDI without asking

However at 5500 miles when I last checked the oil it was not golden, but more a blackish colour, so I am inclined get get an oil change when it gets to about 9000 miles (which will be about 11-12 months old)

Convinced all the grot (and microscopic specs of metal) from the engine loosening up is currently in the oil, as it must have gone somewhere.

My local Skoda dealer might be able to do official oil change (much closer, nearest Seat dealer is hour away) as they have identical engines. Must ask when our Roomster gets serviced in 3 weeks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Mines on long life servicing to, the cars computer has just given me a warning that it's first service is due in 1.800 miles at 19.000 miles. Didn't make the two years, just coming up to 8 months old. Had to refill the ad-blue 10.000 miles though.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top